Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Monthly Writing Prompts

Reads more than she writes. AW Moderator Smish's Avatar
    Last edited by Smish; 07-03-2014 at 05:34 AM. Reason: Updating with latest writing prompt
    Revision is where you earn your money - and if you haven't made any money yet, revision is where you pay your dues. Sara Zarr

practical experience, FTW MsJudy's Avatar
    ew, smish, now you got 'em all sticky...
    represented by Jenny Bent of the Bent Agency. Most happy.

This boy just ain't right Butterbean's Avatar
    Robstown,Texas..Birthplace of Texas hold 'em
    Thanks Smish now we can all remember which prompts have already been done.
    Welcome to Mikey's World...A place that's easy to get into, but extremely hard to leave.

The Adventures of Butterbean and the King &
    Butterbean and the King, The Tale of the Crown Jewels

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred Chris P's Avatar
    I could have used that for this month when I was seeing what types of prompts we've done. BTW, I'm loving the prompts.
    Short Fiction in the AW Library

Click here to see a video of my two years in Uganda with the Peace Corps

Resingled Needs another round of betas. Interested?
    Nyasaland Undergoing major repairs.
    WIP: Cloak of Iron. WWI Sci-fi. It's got tanks. And holograms. 43,000 words.

Fearsome Dragon Mod AW Moderator jvc's Avatar
    Great sticky thread and the prompts are great.
    Jed.

There comes a time in your life when you just have to run outside and shout 'banana' as loud as you can. Are you there yet?

Come follow me on Twitter (@JedCullan) for random stuff, plus regular #OnThisDay with humour.

My Blog: A Few Random Thoughts - Lots of Fun Facts and Humorous History posts. Parenting: Facts And Advice On Temper Tantrums.

By the way, we're happy to let newbies participate in the writing prompts and have their prompt responses critiqued in the Share Your Work section. The Starting new threads in SYW - fifty post count requirement thread provides instructions for you:

Added: on the subject of writing challenges that take place within SYW, and new members wanting to participate but being unable to post their challenge because they don't have 50 posts yet... there's a very easy way to get around this:

Reply in the challenge thread -- it would help if you include your story title and challenge details in the subject line -- and then use the report post button or PM a SYW moderator or supermod to request that your post be moved into a new thread in the same forum. (Any subsequent posts in the challenge thread in reply to your post, will also be moved into the new thread.)
    Make sense? PM a mod if you have any questions.

Smish
    Revision is where you earn your money - and if you haven't made any money yet, revision is where you pay your dues. Sara Zarr

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas DavidBrett's Avatar
    Real life has been a nuisance and stopped me from typing up my entry for the last two months prompts. But my laptop no longer seems to be cutting out so I may just be in luck. Once I've eaten I'll type up all 11 pages (yes, 11 - sorry) and upload it either tomorrow or Monday, ready for the new prompts.
    Mr Stuffenfluff - My FIRST attempt at horror for over a decade. Feedback welcome!

Authors warn me writing children's books is a lot of work - signings, school events, literary festivals, a blog, etc. I always reply "I WANT THAT!"

I don't claim to be a professional (yet). I just try and help others when and where I can.

Follow me @symplesymon

A whole YEAR of prompts

I'm so proud of the prompts the kidlit gang has created, and even prouder of all the fabulous responses to the prompts. You guys are awesome.

practical experience, FTW AnthonyPearson's Avatar
    How funny is it that I'm happy my plans for Friday fell through so I can get some writing done? Now I just need to stay away from Words with Friends on the ole time suck that is Facebook.
    www.anthonypearson.info (now with a blog!)

Baby Bear Eats the Night is here!

Available in e-book version, real book version, and hologram.

Well...maybe two out of the three.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Those are cool prompts. So far, I have haven't been writing lately and I enjoyed browsing over people's works. Receiving so much inspiration.

Remember, everyone, that the prompts never expire. You can write a response at any time.

thanks!

Monthly writing prompts? How fabulous!

I'm still new here, and am happily soaking it all in. I saw the September prompt early this morning and have already completed a story (and 2 re-writes). I don't have enough posts yet to share my work, and I'm not sure I'm ready to risk the critique process, but what an amazing exercise. As a picture book writer, my challenges are many - but I do understand how to successfully combine rhyme and meter. I'm actually starting to think I'm pretty good at this, and am happy to have one more story in my stash. Just in case I ever manage to get an agent interested.

So ... Thank You for the writing prompts. After I've cleared my mind, I think I'll work your list and see what else materializes between myself and the keyboard.

GmaPajama: The 50-post requirement doesn't apply to monthly prompts (see post #6 in this thread for directions), so if you decide you do want to post your story, you can!

Glad you've been inspired by the prompts.

Quote Originally Posted by Smish View Post
    GmaPajama: The 50-post requirement doesn't apply to monthly prompts (see post #6 in this thread for directions), so if you decide you do want to post your story, you can!

Glad you've been inspired by the prompts.
    OK, I can't believe I'm going to do this - but I am. Something about growing that thick skin ... You'll look for it to be moved from the September Prompt thread, right?

practical experience, FTW
    So I decided that I needed a "Prompt Fix" I looked at and grabbed the challenge right away for the Aug 2010 prompt.

It's back-to-school time! Your homework: write a children's short story containing the following: 1) a back-to-school scene, 2) a yard stick or ruler, and 3) a shark (because it's Shark Week and, well, you know, because sharks are cool).

Temporary title: "My Coolest Substitute Teacher Ever"

careful...you'll end up in my novel RuthD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CALVIN M View Post
    So I decided that I needed a "Prompt Fix" I looked at and grabbed the challenge right away for the Aug 2010 prompt.

It's back-to-school time! Your homework: write a children's short story containing the following: 1) a back-to-school scene, 2) a yard stick or ruler, and 3) a shark (because it's Shark Week and, well, you know, because sharks are cool).

Temporary title: "My Coolest Substitute Teacher Ever"
    Ooh, I remember that prompt! It was one of my favorites. I wrote the start of a chapter book... which I really do intend to finish some day.
    My blog: Readatouille

Sorry I've dropped the ball lately, guys. I've been very busy lately, moving to a new place, starting a new job, etc. I've posted a prompt for January. Have fun!

And, as Calvin proves in his post above, there's no expiration date on prompts. Any time you need a little inspiration (or I forget to post a new one for the month...), there are tons of prompts to choose from.