My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

amblack

Stop, drop, and revolt!
Registered
Reaction score
My daughter just started her job working for the studio that creates the pony show. Shhhhhh.... she saw the season finale. Shhh....

If she does well with the current project, maybe next spring she can work on Ponies!!!! That would be awesommmme.

How awesome! Hopefully she does well!! =)

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Loved the newest episode. Luna being able to go into dreams seems pretty cool. It also makes her otherside, Nightmare Moon, even scarier. Hate to of seen the nightmares she would give ponies.

The only downside was them still not mentioning Scootaloo's family, at all.

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
Well, we do know that she doesn't have any biological older sisters at least :)
I got a little bit teary when Dashie stretched out her wing to take Scootaloo under it. Yay for her :)

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
The newest episode was kind of weak in my opinion. The story is one of the most cliche tropes and Spike seemed really out of character. He went from being a good assistant to a pony that practically has OCD to not being able to go into a kitchen without destroying it.

Though, it was nice seeing the timbre wolves again and I loved the part where Dash said that she writes stories starring mary sues.

Side note, this is a pretty funny MLP comic: http://equestria.fadri.org/058-the-truth

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I loved the newest episode. It just just so cartoony with all the visual gags (Industrial strength drier) and slapstick (anything with Tank). Plus, that interaction between the ponies and their pets, like Pinkie yelling, "No, I love you more," to Gummy or Dash sneaking in a nuzzle to Tank when no one was looking.

Finally, one extra thing that caught my eye, was the interaction between Opal and Tank. As soon as they met, Opal smacked Tank and then nuzzled him right afterwards. It's like the majority of anime relationships boiled down to a single moment. Opal is so tsundere for Tank. :tongue

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I liked this one a lot too.
More than I liked the Discord episode (which I had expected to love). The Discord episode was trying to fit too much of a character arc into a small episode, imo and it just came across as forced.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I was OK with the finale.
Honestly, the worst thing about season 3 to me was how short it was. There were definitely times it felt like more than one episode would have helped, but they were constrained to 13.

Also, that MLP spin-off has been confirmed. Not sure if it includes humans.
If it does though, I wonder at how we'd consider it MLP.

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have to say, I didn't really like the finale much. I was a bit annoyed at what looks like an elevation of Twilight above her friends (although I'm trying to think of it as more like a different job, rather than being told she's better than everyone else). I also kind of wonder why they needed to do it so soon, even if it was inevitable... seems like the show should have had plenty of scope for new stories without going the princess route already (isn't that usually the end-game in cartoon worlds?)

But mostly, I just really thought the episode was poorly structured. I kind of feel like they should have scrapped the cutie mark swapping and just concentrated on the transformation. Conflict arising from that would have been more interesting and the other 5 might have had something more meaningful to do/learn aside from "stay out of Twilight's way when she's being careless with magic".

As for the spin-off... wow. I wonder if everyone in this new world is going to have pastel skin tones?

(sorry if I sound grumpy)

Amanda R.

She who must be obeyed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twoamericansinchina.com
I've been disappointed with MLP ever since season 1 ended. They have not had any good songs since then ("Winter Wrap-Up" is the best song ever) and only a couple really moving episodes (the only one I can think of off the top of my head is the one with Applebloom learning that Granny Smith isn't crazy, and that wasn't even staring one of the Mane 6).

What is Twilight supposed to be princess of anyway? Ponyville? Definitely should have been a two-parter to give more substance to this new plot element.

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
To be fair, someone attached to the show has said that she considers this to be a three parter... so presumably the opening two episodes of the 4th season will deal with the alicorn thing a bit more thoroughly.

I still like the show a lot, but yeah, most of my favorite episodes are in the first season.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I really enjoyed the episode and I'm excited to see how things go!

Remember, Cadence didn't really get a kingdom until one popped up, so I can really see Twilight developing in any number of interesting or cool ways.

But I guess I'm easily pleased or something, because I appear to be the only person who has liked pretty much every episode MLP:FIM episode ever.

Sure, there are some I like more than others, but I'll never skip an episode while doing a rewatch.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
IMO the Mysterious Mare-Do-Well is still the worst MLP episode, probably followed by Keep Calm and Flutter On.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
To be fair, someone attached to the show has said that she considers this to be a three parter... so presumably the opening two episodes of the 4th season will deal with the alicorn thing a bit more thoroughly.

I still like the show a lot, but yeah, most of my favorite episodes are in the first season.
Not just someone, Meghan McCarthy, the head writer for the show: https://twitter.com/MMeghanMcCarthy/status/302576012804366336

IMO the Mysterious Mare-Do-Well is still the worst MLP episode, probably followed by Keep Calm and Flutter On.
While MMDW is pretty high on my list of least favorite episodes, I'd put Owl's Well that Ends Well over it.

Anyways, for the season finale, yeah it was rushed but all things considered, I thought it was a decent episode. I'd probably put it around the middle in the list of all MLP episodes. However, it did give us some memorable moments, great animation, and good music. 7/10.

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website

I would swap the order, but agree with you. Although, even at its worst, I still enjoy the show.

I know I ranted a bit about the finale, but I guess I just had high expectations, since previous finale episodes have been really good and I was... well, kinda embarrassed at how cheesy the whole star-field and fireworks transformation was, along with the cheering multitudes and all at the end. Especially since there was little-to-no build up to it beforehand.

Zoombie, I'm curious, if you had to rank the episodes which ones would you rate the lowest?

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm...

The mystery one. A lot of the humor was fun, but I think the idea of a mystery in a 20 minute humor show is kind of doomed to fail, as mysteries need time to stretch.

(And I'd still watch that then most Voyager episodes...)

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
Just got confirmation my kid will be working on this show starting in June. The bestest news is she's coming home for a week between the wrap of Pound Puppies and the start of production of The Ponies! I AM SO FREAKIN' HAPPY!