My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Saw the S3 premiere, it was pretty good.

Cept for this:
Crystal Pony: "It LOOKS the same . . ." You know except for that large heart-shaped crystal that used to be underneath the castle in plain view and was the source of our power and protection. Ah well, not worth bringing up.
For that matter, if they don't remember anything from before the King, how would they know what their town looks like normally?

Also, if it's an empire, what is it an empire of? It seemed pretty small and non-conquering to me.

I also think that this season will be much more sequential than previous ones, what with the 13 episode limit and stuff like the Crystal Empire/Crystal Princess, Luna's book, that look Spike had underneath tthe rug . . .

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Spoiler

As far as the two parters go, this was better than Elements of Harmony, but not as good as Return of Harmony or Royal Wedding. As a whole, Twilight's parts were the best parts of the episode. As for Sombra, he had a paper thin, one dimensional personality, but as a plot device, he did his job and looked cool while doing it.

Couple other observations:
- Spike's fear was interesting, since that likely will come true. It depends on his growth rate, without having a hoard. If he grows too big while Twi is still alive, he'll have to leave. Could be an interesting hint for an episode near the end of the series.

- Random Berry Punch at the jousting match. I guess she just loves jousting that much.

- Twilight has self levitation, was able to copy Celestia's spell after seeing it once, and can reverse her gravity. Compare that to what she could do in the first episode. She's growing more powerful at an exponential rate.

- Spy Pinkie is an awesome Pinkie

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed it immensely!

Though, I'm still waiting for all the evil guys to show up in one team up: Sombra is found by Queen Chryssalid, who combines powers to free Discord, who then reverts Luna...

THAT WOULD BE EPIC.

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle, WA -- land of rain, home of the spice caf
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
- Spy Pinkie is an awesome Pinkie
Pinkie's just generally blanket awesome.

Spoiler: I loved the random Fluttershy costume Pinkie wore just for one throwaway shot... and then poor Fluttershy arriving, stepping on the costume of herself as she landed, and doing a startled little hoof-dance in the background of the discussion as she tries to figure out 'what the hell?'

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
Is anyone else completely addicted to the new mlp game Hasbro has released through Gameloft?
I know, I know it's essentially a Farmville clone, and somewhat overpriced (although the game is free, you can pay extra for more bits and gems), but it has so many little cute details (glimmer-wings for everyone!... Derpy in a box... the ponies arrive in balloons...)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Finally got around to watching the season premiere and it was all right.

Spoiler...

I think the little stuff, like Pinkie Spy, the jousting, Twilight freakin' out was more enjoyable/interesting than the pending DOOM. This villain was so bland, compared to all the previous villains who had great personalities.

And why didn't Luna get to join them? She could've at least helped Cadence keep the shield up. They better make it up with a Luna episode this season.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
There's something going on in this season with Celestia, Luna, and Twilight.
Don't know what yet though.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Finally got around to watching the season premiere and it was all right.

Spoiler...

I think the little stuff, like Pinkie Spy, the jousting, Twilight freakin' out was more enjoyable/interesting than the pending DOOM. This villain was so bland, compared to all the previous villains who had great personalities.

And why didn't Luna get to join them? She could've at least helped Cadence keep the shield up. They better make it up with a Luna episode this season.
She didn't come since it would have made their victory too easy and thus, it wouldn't have been much of a test for Twilight.

As for the villain, I can't complain about him. Not every villain is going to get a depth or a great personality. Especially when they aren't the focal point of the episode. His only job was to provide a legitimate threat and to look imposing, which he did.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
She didn't come since it would have made their victory too easy and thus, it wouldn't have been much of a test for Twilight.
So the fate of an entire empire is a test for one pony? That's pretty reckless. And if you fail... well gee, you fucked up an empire. But hey, no pressure.
As for the villain, I can't complain about him. Not every villain is going to get a depth or a great personality. Especially when they aren't the focal point of the episode. His only job was to provide a legitimate threat and to look imposing, which he did.
Storm clouds are more threatening than Sombra. :D Feels like they got lazy and gave us a Twilight episode instead of a "working together/friendship is awesome" episode. 'Cause even the festival was kinda forced in there to give the other ponies something to do.

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
So the fate of an entire empire is a test for one pony? That's pretty reckless. And if you fail... well gee, you fucked up an empire. But hey, no pressure.
I actually get the impression that Twilight is rapidly reaching a point where, if she snapped, she'd be a bigger threat to Equestria than Sombra would've been.

Her talent with magic has been growing by leaps and bounds, to the point that she's achieving things that would previously have required Celestia and Luna—characters of mythic levels of power—to match, and yet seems oblivious to this fact. There's a couple indicators of this in the episode, too: when Celestia and Luna are shown standing together, they have dramatic Sun and Moon backgrounds behind them, and when the camera changes to Twilight, it shows a starburst background in the same style.

What with the exchange between Celestia and Luna and the fact that they said this had to be a test for Twilight specifically, I suspect the entire thing was less about 'we need to save the Crystal Empire' (which they probably had a contingency plan for) and more about 'oh, hey, look, a crisis situation which provides a convenient test case to make certain this increasingly powerful individual is capable of handling pressure on her own without snapping and trying to destroy the world.'

I mean, Twilight has not historically handled stress well. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that her mechanisms for coping with stress are hilariously insufficient to her power level. She brainwashed half of Ponyville into fighting over a doll because she was worried about not having a topic for her weekly letter. Heck, just in this episode, she blew up the library in the first five minutes because Spike suggested she might be overreacting. And let's not get into the whole time travel mess.

So, there's my take. I guess we'll see what's up. :)

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I cringe at the idea of Twilight being something uber special. I don't mind her being powerful, just not ridiculously powerful. That would unbalance the show, make it less about friendship and more about her.

Also, it seems that a lot of Twilight's stress comes from trying to impress Princess Celest. You'd think the princess would teach her a relaxation spell or something.

AlexPiper

Wayward Wordsmith
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fabulaurbanus.com
Also, it seems that a lot of Twilight's stress comes from trying to impress Princess Celest. You'd think the princess would teach her a relaxation spell or something.
Or at least refer her to a good massage therapist. They must have them; my *actual* horse is always more relaxed after a good massage, and she's not a high-strung magical talking unicorn. (At least, last I checked.)

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Loved the new episode. Also, when Twilight was destroying the Pinkie clones, she was freaking ruthless. Look away for a second? Zap. Also, I loved Spike's line at the beginning, "We weren't going to turn her into an orange, I swear."

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
My daughter just started her job working for the studio that creates the pony show. Shhhhhh.... she saw the season finale. Shhh....

If she does well with the current project, maybe next spring she can work on Ponies!!!! That would be awesommmme.

Stlight

ideas are floating where they will
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
where you can put sugar sprinkles on lots of thing
Did Twilight leave the frog an orange? I think she did. That seems a bit irresponsible environmentally if not magically.

Does this mean the frog/orange will turn up again in another episode?

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Really enjoyed this episode and its references, especially fake-Pinkie making the G1 pony face. Eeep!

Oh, Pinkie has had fingers before in hotdiggedydemon's party.mov (pssh, not safe for work). Also, Pinkie's illustrations are reminiscent of his cartoons, so one has to wonder...

lastlittlebird

avem narrans
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lastlittlebird.blogspot.com
I thought it was interesting that all the ponies of Ponyville went straight to Twilight for help as soon as they were in trouble. She's come a long way from Boast Busters.

I am so jealous of your daughter Chumplet! I hope she does get a chance to work on ponies :)

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I love how fandoms can lead to new and interesting venues of betterment.
I will gladly follow any nutritional advice the BHG group offers as long as they put images like this next to their info.
tongue.png

See it in action.

Lesson of the day: All advice sounds good when Fluttershy is staring at it. 0.0