My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I've never read 1984, so could someone explain this fic to me?
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/30320/1/Nineteen-Neighty-Four/

Spoiler belows

It seems like the author is almost saying that a situation like 1984 isn't that bad, given a few modifications (I'm assuming there are still some fairly serious differences between the two).
Or maybe it has nothing to do with 1984 at all and is just going after people who think Equestria is a dystopia in disguise.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, sorry...I have a weird thing with pony fan fics. I get a paragraph or two into them and just...can't keep reading. My brain threatens to implode on itself.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so used to seeing and hearing ponies, reading them just feels wrong somehow. I guess I'm unimaginative?

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I've never read 1984, so could someone explain this fic to me?
http://www.fimfiction.net/story/30320/1/Nineteen-Neighty-Four/
From the story:
It was a simple design, just a large image of Celestia’s smiling face, with the legend ‘CELESTIA IS WATCHING YOU’ emblazoned above it.
1984:
BigBrother1984_sml.gif

1984 is about complete and total government surveillance, and brainwashing its citizens to love and accept Big Brother. You should read the book, it's a good--if not scary.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Well I know the premise of 1984 well enough, but this story is supposed to be a parody of it. I just wonder if I'm missing anything.
It did make me laugh, but was more via absurdity than any connection to the classic work.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
*skimming* There are some inside-jokes, like the secret rendezvous with love interest as a form of rebellion, the cake torture and ending. It is as you said: a parody. But it's the same message, just turned on its head: we'll torture you till you conform.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, instead it's "We'll love you until you conform."

The crowd's reaction to Nightmare Moon had me in a brief fit.

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
Hey folks, I just wanted to let any table-top gamers among the bronies here know about a table-top role-playing game based on MLP:FiM. It's called MLP: Roleplaying is Magic, and is entirely fan-developed (disclosure: a couple of my very good friends were instrumental in its creation), and also free.

My Little Pony: Roleplaying is Magic

Anyway, just wanted to pass along the link for people to check it out if they're interested.
(And I hope this post is ok here. Please let me know if you'd rather I made a new thread somewhere else for it, and I'll delete this one.)

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
The Games thread is more appropriate in terms of theme, but this is generally considered the MLP hub here on AW, so I don't see why not.

Cozmosus

Registered
Reaction score
I'm new, and didn't expect this type of thread on this forum.

I'm going to just drop on in without reading anything else and say Twilight Sparkle most Twilightlicious pony.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Those aren't really spoilers; more like teasers and hints. We have no idea what those songs are pertaining to.

Hope that Luna does get a bigger role next season. I like her better than Celestia, haha.

The return of Trixie sounds interesting--maybe she comes back to prove herself? Or apologize? (tho that sounds too easy)

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
My favorite bit in there is about the possibility of Octavia having a song. Even if she doesn't sing, I'd love to see her play an important role in one of the musical numbers.