My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Update:
It seems that the changes were done by iTunes and only apply to their version, AFAIK.
So we still get the true Derpy on the DvDs.
Now I'm glad I never bought any iTunes episodes.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand why Ponyville would need a taxi service . . .

Also, new Project Horizons chapter: Things. Are. Getting. Teeeeeeeeense.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I loved the goats in the new episode. I hope we see them more often. Also the little fandom shout outs were nice, like Bon Bon wearing Lyra's bag and then having a drink together; plus Derpy wearing a bag with a muffin clasp. And, of course, Iron Will having the same voice actor as Hercule in the DBZ english dub.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
For the lazy hoofs?

I didn't care so much for the new episode. It was just Flutterbitch all over again.
Not really--this resulted in character development.
Flutterbitch was part of an action/adventure-oriented plot in the season opener.
This was Assertiveshy, and was more of a drama. I was really afraid something bad was going to happen when Assertiveshy was ripping Rarity and PP some new ones.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Flutterbitch = Assertiveshy

Both personnas are essentially bullies. And the character development didn't quite fit. She goes from one extreme to the other, then magically finds the perfect middle ground--how does that happen?

And it's not like Fluttershy has never been assertive in the past. There are examples in last season where she stood up, usually when her friends were in trouble.

Overall, it feels like a fluff episode: drama for the sake of drama.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Flutterbitch = Assertiveshy
Not really.
At the very least Flutterbitch is proactive, Assertiveshy is reactive.

And the character development didn't quite fit. She goes from one extreme to the other, then magically finds the perfect middle ground--how does that happen?
Well it's only a twenty-minute show . . . unless they were to start doing mini-arcs, I wouldn't object to that as long as the drama didn't get out of hand for a kids' show.

And it's not like Fluttershy has never been assertive in the past. There are examples in last season where she stood up, usually when her friends were in trouble.
Yes, in dire situations she can act as required, but this was about her not being a doormat in day-to-day life.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Also, new Project Horizons chapter: Things. Are. Getting. Teeeeeeeeense.
I read it the other day and honestly, I didn't like how Somber handled Sanguine in this chapter. He goes from being the worst of the worst to suddenly having a fruedien excuse, being ashamed of himself and being shown in a sympathetic light. There should have been much more of a build up to it.

Though I do like the addition of Boo. She seems like she could be an interesting character, particularly if they reveal who she was cloned from. I hope we see plenty more of her in the future.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
"Cream dream," oh the context that shall be taken out of.

Ninja!Twilight is badass.

>is wondering how hooves make no noise . . .

Apparently being the Princesses student does come with perks . . .

For being such an intellectual, TS' logic can be awfully lacking at times.

I didn't really like this episode much: nice lesson, but the method used to reach it bored me--it's overdone.

Besides, I think this episode was really about getting proper sleep so you don't go off and do stupid things.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Another "Twilight goes crazy" episode. I feel that this season is playing up all the character's more extreme traits: Rainbow Dash's obsession with being cool, Fluttershy's overly niceness, Apple Jack's pride, Rarity's lack of consciousness for others.

Pinkie still remains to be Pinkie, but I did like her Baby Cakes episode since that showed another side of her.

Hoping they don't continue this style onto the next season, because there's only so many kinks you can exploit in these characters' personalities.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Another "Twilight goes crazy" episode. I feel that this season is playing up all the character's more extreme traits: Rainbow Dash's obsession with being cool, Fluttershy's overly niceness, Apple Jack's pride, Rarity's lack of consciousness for others.

Pinkie still remains to be Pinkie, but I did like her Baby Cakes episode since that showed another side of her.

Hoping they don't continue this style onto the next season, because there's only so many kinks you can exploit in these characters' personalities.
In fairness, their faults were played up a lot in the first season as well. Applejack tried to buck all the apple trees by herself, Twilight freaked out every time Celestia was in Ponyville, Fluttershy acted ultra timid in Dragonshy, etc, etc. I do think season 2 plays it up a bit more, but it's really not by much.

As for the episode, I liked it. Not amazing or anything, but it was entertaining and by providing a stable time loop, they did away with many possible paradoxes that people would complain about. The nod to Greek mythology was nice too, with Cerberus and Tartarus. And we got more city names; Los Pegasus and Baltimare.

Though there's one thing I've noticed that seems a bit odd. They've been mentioning Starswirl the Bearded a lot in this season. Including in situations that they didn't have to, like the newest episode and in Hearth's Warming Eve. It makes me wonder if they're possibly setting up a future episode that'll be about him in some form.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
In fairness, their faults were played up a lot in the first season as well. Applejack tried to buck all the apple trees by herself, Twilight freaked out every time Celestia was in Ponyville, Fluttershy acted ultra timid in Dragonshy, etc, etc. I do think season 2 plays it up a bit more, but it's really not by much.
We had a wee bit more variety last season to counter that. There were more monsters, and more clashes between the characters.

There was one paradox I found in the episode: Future Twilight tells Past Twilight about the time travel scrolls; however, outside of the time loop, Twilight has never heard of these scrolls.

Blackfire

Ghost amidst the caligraphy.
Registered
Reaction score
I've recently tried watching this show. At first it was to see why so many older people watch it; I assumed it was for the same reason similar audiences flock to Spongebob Squarepants and Phineas and Ferb.

I have watched about 5 episodes, and I find it entertaining. Mainly because of the contrast between the characters. The pony puns are pretty clever, too. [Sorry if I'm derailing another conversation. ^^;]

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning on writing my own spinoff to Fallout Equestria. (Spoiler for the original story) It'll take place after the FoE finale, so ten years after Littlepip becomes the Lightbringer. Like they mentioned at the end, the Gardens of Canterlot made a lot of the reactors inert, making things really difficult for the New Canterlot Republic. Their scouts manage to find a stable who's door panel is still functioning, meaning it's reactor survived the spell. So they hire mercenaries to go in first to check it out, since they're expendable. As you might imagine, things go wrong quickly and the mercs get trapped in the stable, where most of the story takes place.

I'm thinking of calling it FoE: Stable Crawler (a play on the rpg genre, dungeon crawler).

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning on writing my own spinoff to Fallout Equestria. (Spoiler for the original story) It'll take place after the FoE finale, so ten years after Littlepip becomes the Lightbringer. Like they mentioned at the end, the Gardens of Canterlot made a lot of the reactors inert, making things really difficult for the New Canterlot Republic. Their scouts manage to find a stable who's door panel is still functioning, meaning it's reactor survived the spell. So they hire mercenaries to go in first to check it out, since they're expendable. As you might imagine, things go wrong quickly and the mercs get trapped in the stable, where most of the story takes place.

I'm thinking of calling it FoE: Stable Crawler (a play on the rpg genre, dungeon crawler).
My own FO:E spinoff has required such drastic shifts in style from the original that I'm considering placing it in its own universe and just claiming FO:E as inspiration . . . :S

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
Overall it was a nice episode. Though I do have a few complaints. The first one being that we didn't get to see Spike interact with any adult dragons. And it would have been nice to meet a dragon that wasn't a jerk.

My biggest complaint was is seeing Twilight and the others run from three young dragons not much bigger than a male pony. Twilight lifted an ursa minor, something that's probably heavier than full grown dragons. She also stopped a ton of water while fixing up a dam. Dealing with those dragonlings should have been simple for her. Plus Dash kicked a full grown dragon in the face and can cause explosions by flying so fast. Seriously, them running was just weird and pretty inconsistent.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
Seriously, them running was just weird and pretty inconsistent.
I agree.

Another inconsistency I found was that Fluttershy usually is able to deal with tough scary creatures (i.e. Cerberus, chimera from season 1), but yet, she has a fear of dragons??? She's friggin' stood up to one!

And where were the female dragons? I kind of felt like all the dragons were dudes. : /

Other than that, it was a cute episode and hope to see more of the little phoenix.

Last edited:

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
Fluttershy was terrified of a dragon the last time. She's fine with other animals because they are NOT dragon, and she's still scared of them. She can just overcome her fear if need be.

I mean, it's not like besting a fear once makes it go away. I've overcome my terror of ants many times to kill the buggers, but they still freak me out when I'm not ready for them.