• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Hoover Sanders Literary Agency

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Nope. Now we wait to see what they can sell and to whom.

Maddie

Roe Draje
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.saraville.com
Checked out their site, and either my browser is skewed, or the site is, as it loads kind of offset from the norm - words overlapping, etc. The agents' bios are interesting - Mr. McKinney has had "decades" of experience, except not in agenting, though it does say he worked at the "publishing house of Simon and Schuster" (not specific about what he did there). Ms. Conlon is degreed, and Ms. Sanders has a love for reading, plus a background in child development and interior design (I don't know how those equate to knowing the ins and outs of being a literary agent). Mr. Hoover "has been in the literary business for over a decade and has authored three novels", yet still I don't see any indication that there is experience as literary agents.

They also list their clients, but not sales.

But, as CaoPaux says, we'll have to wait and see. Who would like to be a test subject?

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
It's not just you: the website's a mess (and not just structurally).

Dr. Johnson

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks folks. I'd say this one's definitely a "wait and see."

Doc

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I found one book by Douglas C. Hoover on Amazon, published by Xulon Press, a self-publishing company. Otherwise, there's no trace of Douglas Hoover, author, and the URL for his writing website leads to a "404--Not Found" page.

Apart from the Simon & Schuster claim for Mr. McKinney (which is hard to verify without more details) I see no publishing industry or agenting experience here at all. People who start agencies without that kind of professional background are at a major disadvantage (to put it mildly).

- Victoria

charlys

new author
Registered
Reaction score
Hoover, Sanders Lit Agency

There website is up and running now. I see no problems and they now have a number of authors. web: hooversanders.com. They seem to do a lot but I don't see anything re: fees. Guess it doesn't hurt to query the right agent on thire list of agents.:)

Veronica Leigh

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Hoover Sanders

Hi, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster. Anyway, I have recently sent a query to Hoover-Sanders and received a phone call from them, asking me to snail mail them a copy of my novel. After I saw this thread I thought it be best to ask for advice.
Has anyone had any experiences with them? The website looks professional but I had never heard of their clients.

aliceshortcake

Wilde about Oscar
Registered
Reaction score
Of the nine clients named on the agency's website six appear to be unpublished. The other three are:

Thomas Schwarz, previously published by Reagent Press (founded by the bizarre Robert Stanek);

George Koskey, whose novel The Writer was first published by scam vanity press Northwest Publishing Inc in 1995;

Stephen Lewis, the author of a series of historical/crime novels published by Berkley Books.

Veronica Leigh

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks

Okay, well thank you. I think I'm going to by pass him altogether.