• I'd rather be an angel watching Orlando Bloom or some such

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I want to live. Some disability is acceptable

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Moderate Disability is acceptable

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Severe Disability is acceptable

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Hey, maybe I'll dream while I'm in that coma...

Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Sucker! I'm gonna bleed your $ dry until Death himself shows up

Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
The abortion thread and the end of life thread got me thinking. In a scenario where you are the patient and your own opinion is not allowed to be known by the the person making your medical decisions, so it has to be a proxy consent situation, what are the odds that that person should use to make their opinion on whether to pull the plug or abort you? Poll is anonymous and should aloow multiple responses.

Last edited:

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I haven't worked out a mathematical formula, but my husband knows that if my brain is damaged, pull the plug. A brainstem and a heartbeat don't make a life. And I don't want to waste away in a hospital bed. At least that's my view. If he goes before I do, I hope I don't end up with a POA that will force me to stay alive at all costs.

BjornAbust

Banned
Reaction score
I'd want to retain at least 75% of my functions. If it's anything less than that; if I can't clean myself up in the bathroom or feed myself then, well, what's the point of living? I'd hate to be a burden to the people I love and, frankly, I've got a little too much pride. I can't stand the thought of wasting space on this good Earth as an invalid or, worse, a vegetable.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Well, I haven't worked out a mathematical formula, but my husband knows that if my brain is damaged, pull the plug. A brainstem and a heartbeat don't make a life. And I don't want to waste away in a hospital bed. At least that's my view. If he goes before I do, I hope I don't end up with a POA that will force me to stay alive at all costs.

Well, after I die I don't care what happens, and brain-dead is death in my book. I will not care anymore.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Well, after I die I don't care what happens, and brain-dead is death in my book. I will not care anymore.

I care because I don't want to be a burden to my family, or anyone else for that matter.

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score

My husband and I have the same understanding. Neither of us wants to be a burden for the other, nor do we want to be physically alive while emotionally or physically (or both) unaware of that life we can't take part in.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We already have health care proxy forms for this scenario, and my Aunt and I have discussed it at length. We both have stated that in the even one of us suffers illness or brain damage to the point of incapacitation, ie. unable to feed ourselves, care for ourselves, irreversible coma, we want the plug pulled.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I said fifty percent chance of normal function and moderate disability (like paralyzed from the waist down or losing my sight) would be acceptable. Any greater disability or the chances are less than 10%, then the plug should be pulled on me.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
If I can't write or talk, kill me. I'm an extrovert. I'd rather be dead.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
If I'm just a funtioning body with no mind, then I'm gone. But I would want to live otherwise.

Magdalen

Petulantly Penitent
Registered
Reaction score
The abortion thread and the end of life thread got me thinking. In a scenario where you are the patient and your own opinion is not allowed to be known by the the person making your medical decisions, so it has to be a proxy consent situation, what are the odds that that person should use to make their opinion on whether to pull the plug or abort you? Poll is anonymous and should aloow multiple responses.

Could you please rephrase this question in standard English?

Reaction score
I have no fucking idea what the OP means either, Magdalen.

What I will say is: I have a living will, and have done since I was in my late teens. Next of kin or anyone else's opinion doesn't come into it.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Could you please rephrase this question in standard English?

A stranger is making the decisions for you. What do you hope that they will decide for you?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I think he's asking if your next of kin doesn't know what you want, then what are the odds their own moral code will have them follow your wishes.

There are too many variables there to make a determination. Your feelings, the medical, proxy's, the presence or absence of DNR orders, if the incapacitation is to a minor, in which case the state can step in to protect the patient's rights...

Reaction score
Not with a living will it wouldn't. If the patient's wishes are in black and white, signed and witnessed...mind you, you have that weird healthcare system going on where poor people are left to die in the streets.

Ya damn weirdos.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
There are too many variables there to make a determination. Your feelings, the medical, proxy's, the presence or absence of DNR orders, if the incapacitation is to a minor, in which case the state can step in to protect the patient's rights...

True but there are only 10 slots in the poll section, which is probably a good thing or polls would be so long that nobody would bother.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: In response to SP.

But in the US, a family member can come in at the last minute, say they want you to live and that is what the docs have to do. Sucks, doesn't it?

Reaction score
ETA: In response to SP.

But in the US, a family member can come in at the last minute, say they want you to live and that is what the docs have to do. Sucks, doesn't it?
No, because those are the wishes I set out in my living will.

I can understand someone saying "Keep the machine switched on," even if you've said "No, switch it off," because where there's life, there's hope, after all.

What I would have a problem with is someone saying, "Meh, switch it off," when I'd said "NOES! I ARE STILL IN HYUH!"

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Not with a living will it wouldn't. If the patient's wishes are in black and white, signed and witnessed...mind you, you have that weird healthcare system going on where poor people are left to die in the streets.

Ya damn weirdos.

Actually it does. When estranged family show up and the patient is unable to speak for themselves, often the living will becomes meaningless, especially if the person who brought the patient to the hospital is not a spouse. Most of the living wills aren't satisfactorily worded. It's the living who sue, not the dead.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score

Ya damn weirdos.

Even with a DNR and executed living will, the hospitals have asked for next of kin consent in every end-of-life case I've been witness to - that's at least three in the last ten years.

They also require a separate DNR for "death in transit", meaning if they're transferring someone from hospital A to hospice or hospital B and they flatline in the ambulance, and there's not DIT DNR (the letters give me headaches!), they will attempt to resuscitate.

2 different hospitals, and one hospice.

Go back another five or so years, and there was a horrible mess with my great-grandmother, to the other extreme. Her care facility decided that "living will" meant no medications, even basic antibiotics.

They're a mess over here.

I'm fairly certain the only facility that honored the person's living will verbatim was the VA hospital with my uncle.

Sarah Madara

Freeway stomper extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I think he's asking if your next of kin doesn't know what you want, then what are the odds their own moral code will have them follow your wishes.

No, he's asking what the tipping point should be. Doctors can't predict whether you'll recover or not, but they have statistics on outcomes for other patients in similar circumstances. What would those statistics have to be for your family to pull the plug?

I don't have an answer. I don't have a living will yet, and I haven't broken this down to numbers. I think my husband and I have similar ideas about quality vs. quantity of life, and I would trust him. Although I'd say if I'll be too dependent to be able to successfully kill myself, then let me die. Otherwise, if I disagree with the decision, I can always correct it...

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Define "normal function." For that matter, define "disability." There is a world of difference between a 25% physical impairment and a 25% mental impairment.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Would a living will be as easily ignored if it was tattoed on the patients chest? Just curious. (And maybe planning.)