The AW Amazon Store
Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chronicle Books

figuring it all out

Red face Chronicle Books

Hi. On the advice of a friend who knows people at Chronicle Books I sent a table book proposal. They have since declined. I thought, "okay, they don't go on the 'it's who you know' tip. Good for them."

I am now interested in sending a query and proposal for a non-fiction book I am writing for a friend. The thing is I have no idea how Chronicle Books operates. I was told on a couple of occasions that, "Chronicle doesn't pay authors good money." Does that matter and if so? I mean, if a person is starting out shouldn’t they go where they can? Thanks

Gone
    Pookiestoop, don't sell yourself short because you're a new writer. You should try for the best deal you can possibly get, and that includes--but is not limited to--the money. Plenty of new writers go with publishers that pay nice advances; why shouldn't you be one of them? Always start at the top of your list and work down; don't start low just because you're new.

If you were starting out and looking for a job, would you limit yourself to applying to low-paying companies because you're new? I'd hope not! You'd go for the best money and overall offer you could get, surely. Do the same with publishers.

I Heart Mac Absolute Sage Lauri B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pookiestoop
    Hi. On the advice of a friend who knows people at Chronicle Books I sent a table book proposal. They have since declined. I thought, "okay, they don't go on the 'it's who you know' tip. Good for them."

I am now interested in sending a query and proposal for a non-fiction book I am writing for a friend. The thing is I have no idea how Chronicle Books operates. I was told on a couple of occasions that, "Chronicle doesn't pay authors good money." Does that matter and if so? I mean, if a person is starting out shouldn’t they go where they can? Thanks
    Hi there,
    I've worked with Chronicle and the money was fine. They were easy to work with and I enjoyed my experience.

Say no to this face? Not sure I can Storyteller5's Avatar
    Thanks for checking in on this, Nomad. Chronicle is one of the publishers I've been looking at.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Presumin' we're talking about this one:
    http://www.chroniclebooks.com/site/catalog/index.php, y'all'd be in good company. Best of luck!
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Ruled by Dachshunds smallthunder's Avatar

Kudos to Kate Prouty at Chronicle

Hello, everyone --

Not that anybody has asked about Chronicle Books for a while (judging by this thread), but I'd thought it would be nice to recognize Kate Prouty's professionalism ...

I mailed Chronicle Books (along with a score of other publishers) my non-fiction book proposal on 12/11 -- not expecting to hear from any of them for a long time, especially considering the holidays.

So, I was very impressed to hear back from Kate Prouty at Chronicle Books on 12/27 (by e-mail, as I had requested) -- so quickly!

Alas, there was no offer to pick up my project -- but she explained why (several other books by Chronicle on similar topics have had only "modest" success), and even told me that she thought my take on the topic was "a neat idea."

Wow. Fast and courteous.

I e-mailed her back to thank her for her speedy response, and wished her a happy new year. She e-mailed me back to wish me & my project success in 2007.

Very nice.

Oh, and no -- no one else has responded, either way, yet. Not even those folks I contacted in October.
    Last edited by smallthunder; 12-30-2006 at 12:55 AM.
    "'Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with,' the Mock Turtle replied; 'and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision.'

Such a nasty woman SuperModerator Old Hack's Avatar
    When I was a non-fiction editor at a packaging house, some years ago, I worked with Chronicle on a few projects. They were fabulous to work with: exacting, demanding, prompt and courteous. They obviously cared a lot about the books that they published, and it showed. I'd go to them in an instant if I had an appropriate package.

Where's my tea, please...? PeeDee's Avatar
    If they published Urban Fantasy (or, really, genre) then I think I might submit to them. They're pretty.

You know. After I submit to Eos...

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    I had to read the article twice before I could believe it.

Blog post coming up.

- Victoria

Whaaa . . . ?

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by MidnightMuse View Post
    Whaaa . . . ?
    I second MidnightMuse.
    Last edited by NiennaC; 09-22-2007 at 02:10 AM.

wishes you happiness JennaGlatzer's Avatar
    No way.

I hope they receive enough feedback from people to realize that this is a very bad idea.
    I am no longer here. If you'd like to visit me, please find me at www.jennaglatzer.com or on Facebook. Thanks!

I've seen worse. SuperModerator ColoradoGuy's Avatar
    I, too, was astonished to read this today. I think in the past various publishers (and agents) have sold names to vanity presses for them to solicit rejected authors with junk mail, but what is so amazing to me is how upfront and brazen they are about this. It's like they're mining their slushpile for money.
    "Think this through with me, let me know your mind.
    . . . what I want to know is, are you kind?"

My books, website, and blog

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    I am also less than thrilled at this so called journalist vomiting up a finely spun press release and pretending it is news. Do you think E Lynne Harris is voluntarily involved in this mess? I hope a few people take the time to rate this "story" (at the bottom of the page)
    Emily Veinglory

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you mscelina's Avatar
    Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fudz. Not pie. I do not share pie. EVER.
    oh no.....where's my blood pressure medicine????

what? I don't have blood pressure medication? My blood pressure's normal?

not at the moment. Pass me the bourbon.

Chronicle Books has announced it will begin a new "mutual referral" program with POD publisher Blurb where Chronicle will receive "an undisclosed cut of the earnings generated" from rejected authors.
    To read the original article on Newsweek, go to:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20895716/site/newsweek/?nav=slate?from=rss
    Ick! It looks like more mainstream publishers are getting into seriously questionable ethics (this coming after Simon & Schuster's rights grab).

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    Blog post on the Chronicle/Blurb deal from Writer Beware.

- Victoria

Kudos, Victoria for jumping on this and Double High Kudos to SouthernWriter for catching this!

This is very upsetting.
    <clickety to see my books

Join us for the Absolute Write-in #AWritein

Marguerite Says...Microwave Peanut Butter Fudge

I also Twitter & Facebook

People think I’m disciplined. It is not discipline. It is devotion. There is a great difference ~Luciano Pavarotti

Oh my goodness, that is just wrong. But how many would-be authors will be able to see the apparent conflict of interest?

Your Genial Uncle Absolute Sage James D. Macdonald's Avatar
    Yo, authors!

Cut out the middle man. You can find a vanity press on your own for free.

Or, if you're going to self-publish then genuinely self-publish.

This plan isn't any part in your career path. It's great for them ... not so good for you.

The thing that disturbs me the most is the number of writers who are going to think that if Chronicle is sending them info on a vanity publisher, they've been broomed to the curb and have no chance at *any* commercial publisher. I know that if I didn't read boards like this, my reaction would be to be crushed that Chronicle thought my submission was that bad.
    Not doing anything with my life is surprisingly time consuming.

... with the High Command Dave.C.Robinson's Avatar
    I've already blogged about this. It's enough to write Chronicle completely off my list (both for submissions and purchases) until this stops.

Grasshopper, you too can master the ancient martial art of BIC FOK. (Butt in Chair, Fingers on Keyboard.) Find me on Kindle: Against the Eldest Flame, the first Doc Vandal adventure; Amadar, a heroic fantasy adventure; Price of Imperium, space opera with a street-level twist.

Writer Beware's Faithful Igor Richard White's Avatar
    I've added my own thoughts on my blog, but definitely echo Victoria's thoughts on the Writer Beware blog.

http://nightwolfwriter.livejournal.com/141304.html

Now departed. Rest in peace, Scott, from all of us at AW Requiescat In Pace Popeyesays's Avatar
    I just sent an e-mail to Chronicle Books saying I will not buy anymore of their books until their policy changes. All by myself it's nothing, but if some others were to do the same?

Regards,
    Scott
    [B]Okay, damnit, I blog [URL]http://cscottsaylorsbooks.blogspot.com/[/URL][/B]
    [B]Sword of the Dajjal[/B] e-book, [SIZE=2]Published by BooksForABuck.com May, 2007 ISBN: 978-1-602-052-2 [URL]http://www.booksforabuck.com/sfpages/sf_07/sword_dajjal.html[/URL][/SIZE]
    Out in print early 2008 from Blu Phi'er[URL="http://www.fictionwise.com/eBooks/eBook47261.htm?cached"][/URL]
    [B]Jars of Doom[/B] out mid 2008 from Blu Phi'er
    [URL]http://www.bluphier.com/[/URL]

Quote Originally Posted by LeslieB View Post
    The thing that disturbs me the most is the number of writers who are going to think that if Chronicle is sending them info on a vanity publisher, they've been broomed to the curb and have no chance at *any* commercial publisher. I know that if I didn't read boards like this, my reaction would be to be crushed that Chronicle thought my submission was that bad.
    Basically, there are going to be three harmful lines of thought that will be caused by this:

1) A legitimate publisher has referred me to this other service. Of course this other service must be good!

2) OMG a legitimate publisher thinks I'm so bad that my only hope is a vanity press. Maybe my writing is total crap and I should just give up right now!

3) Maybe this is Chronicle's way of telling me that my work might be good enough but they want to test it first. Let's shell out the cash and see if I can pass the test!

All of these concepts are quite damaging to authors, especially #3 since it is probably a tease (though occasionally a new author might be selected that way, just to keep the wheels greased by more hopefuls).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast