• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Entangled Publishing

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Were you able to jam a million tropes into it? In my experience with them, it's all about the tropes. I think they like it when you find a fresh spin for the old patterns, but but just a fresh spin, no tropes? Not for them, as far as I can see.

My impression is that this is true for their category lines, but my Scorched book is far from trope-tastic, and they still bought it and didn't ask me to add more tropes in the first round of edits.

@LeaLately

Registered
Reaction score
Can anyone share their publishing experience with EntangledTEEN? I had a request from them and am hesitant to sub. If you are published with Entangled can you share how the process went for you? It seems from what I've read they can take a long time to get back to you, and if they do at all it's usually because you've sent them a 'nudge' email? Do they offer advances? What distributor do they use? Would simply like to hear any thoughts from authors who have actually be published though Entangled.

Thanks!

Thedrellum

Grr. Argh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.patreon.com
I know a few people published through EntangledTEEN, though the only one of your questions I feel confident enough to answer is the advance one: No, they don't offer advances.

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Actually I've heard there is an advance of about 250 dollars. I think you'll find somewhere on this thread that's mentioned.

Haunted_October

Ready to kick the WIP's butt!
Registered
Reaction score
They used to offer an advance but they no longer do. They may give a small advance to agented submissions, but all those I know who've gone that route didn't get an advance either.

Shuemais

We can't always be the Batman
Registered
Reaction score
Sent a submission in back in July. Requested an update to the Submissions email account, received no reply, so asked Lydia for an update and was responded to same day. Likely just got lost in the shuffle by mistake.

She who must

Registered
Reaction score
Didn't mean to delete that. But in a nutshell, I sent a nudge an five hours later received my R

She who must

Registered
Reaction score
I get that it wasn't the nudge. I was impressed with the quick response. With the time difference, those guys must be up super late.

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Can anyone share their publishing experience with EntangledTEEN? I had a request from them and am hesitant to sub. If you are published with Entangled can you share how the process went for you? It seems from what I've read they can take a long time to get back to you, and if they do at all it's usually because you've sent them a 'nudge' email? Do they offer advances? What distributor do they use? Would simply like to hear any thoughts from authors who have actually be published though Entangled.

Thanks!

Hi! :hi:Entangled Teen author here.

1) No, there is no advance. I got a 250$ one with my first book so I was dissapointed when I didn't get one for my second. Apparently it was something they tried out but changed their minds. I can't imagine 250$ could have been that big of a deal but I know Liz enough to respect her choice (girl is a mad genius). This is about where my disappointment ends.

2) they distribute through McMillan. My book had a small print run compared to big publishers but it did get into bookstores across the country and some libraries as well. They also do hardcover releases for select books (Forget Tomorrow and Theif Of Lies are the two I know well) I know Anomaly went into a second print run.

Other information: I had one 1 trade review from School Library Journal. They have several NYT bestsellers, though mostly in romance. I know the Luxe series is a huge bestseller though, and I believe Forget Tomorrow (2015 release) hit the NYT too. Not sure if any other teen books have hit (nonAmazon) best seller lists, but several romance books have.

They have a few lines in their Teen department though, and only 1 has print runs. They have a single title digital line, and their new YA category romance lines which are POD and digital. The Crush line is doing really well and that's where my second book is (so no print run for my second book which I'm totally okay with). You can ask if your book will have a print run before singing with them.

One of my favorite aspects of Entangled is that once you are published by they they WANT to keep publishing your new work. Doesn't mean they'll take everything (I had one proposal turned down which was very disappointing, I still want to write that book) but it does mean they'll work with you to continue your relationship which is fantastic. It's possible to have a full career as an author by only ever publishing with Entangled. They know that each new book sells your previous books so it's good business to build their author's brands (but they are also very supportive of their authors also going other routes, whether self-publishing or NY publishing (as they call it).

If you are still querying agents, it might make sense to wait on submitting. Your agent very well may submit to them once you sign with them (but also with bigger publishers). Just mention this request at that point and they can help you decide. Or you can submit if you never sign an agent. One agent congratulated me when I told her I had an offer from Entangled saying it was a very good place for a new author to begin a career.

If you're going to go small press, this is the best one out there in my (biased) opinion ;) Even if not, it's still a good option that I wouldn't take lightly (biggest issue is the advance in that case).

Good luck!

Tromboli

Hopelessly Hopeful
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.staceytrombley.com
Oh and as for response, my request also came through a twitter pitch. He took 2 months to get back with me with an R&R but he emailed me at 1 month to tell me he was still reading. Here is the full story with lot of details if you're interested: http://www.staceytrombley.com/2014/02/a-sucess-story.html

This was all a few years ago so likely isn't that relevant, to be honest.

NineLimes

Registered
Reaction score
I'm very glad you had a good experience with Entangled. I wish it were true for the majority of their authors. It does seem like the Teen lines are run by more competent people. And no, Liz is not a genius. If she was, every book would hit lists. Hell, fifty of her books would. She crows about her successes, but if you look at the company's record as a whole, 1 out of hundreds does not a publishing genius make.

Cassandra24

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm interested in submitting for Entangled, their NA line.
Has anyone had any experience working with them?
What is the editing process like? Do they expect you to change lots of things in order to fit tropes, etc?

Anna204

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm interested in submitting for Entangled, their NA line.
Has anyone had any experience working with them?
What is the editing process like? Do they expect you to change lots of things in order to fit tropes, etc?

I submitted to their NA line and got an R&R. I took my time with revisions, submitted again and got another R&R. At that point, I decided to walk away. The editor I was working with was great, but I couldn't see myself doing another revision when I wasn't exactly sure what the editor wanted.

NA is tough to crack right now. Unless your MS hits it out of the park or is exactly what they are looking for, it might be a tough go. That's not to say you shouldn't try.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
NA is tough to crack right now. Unless your MS hits it out of the park or is exactly what they are looking for, it might be a tough go. That's not to say you shouldn't try.

Yeah, I have an NA paranormal thriller and I have NO idea where this hybrid monster can go. I really have to read the publisher's guidelines to see if it's a possible fit.

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
Just a quick note about an email I received on my submission to Scorched. I subbed a long-short story in April, wrote it off long ago, and received a very kind email from Ms. Chin today indicating she is quite behind and asking for a few more weeks. So, if anyone's been waiting, or thought their submission had fallen through the cracks because you haven't heard back, it might just be the significant backlog.

Last edited:

fitmoney

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks. I submitted after a pitch event where she requested a full. I'll stop checking email every five minutes now ;)
Just a quick note about an email I received on my submission to Scorched. I subbed a long-short story in April, wrote it off long ago, and received a very kind email from Ms. Chin today indicating she is quite behind and asking for a few more weeks. So, if anyone's been waiting, or thought their submission had fallen through the cracks because you haven't heard back, it might just be the significant backlog.

kelliewallace

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be submitting my paranormal romance for the first time to Entangled. I was told their Covet line is closed and to submit to another line. I'm waiting on feedback from my last beta before I submit. Very high chance of rejection but it will be a good exercise.

Alcasgra

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if I miss out reading the following on the various pages within this thread, but for those authors who have been published with Entangled, what are your experiences like? Payment, contract, editorial process, marketing, etc.? Any other additional information available? Thank you so much in advance.