• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Entangled Publishing

trinity

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I was a contest sub. So maybe he just hasn't gotten to it yet. (But still, I haven't gotten a rejection... so I'm going to take that as a good sign...)

For sure a good sign (not to mention, the fact he personally requested from you :) ) and you don't have to worry you're part of that insanely large scary number of r's he's sending out. Good luck!

starshooter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm an April sub with Erin, too. :)
subbed March 29th
full sent April 7th.
nudged Aug 2nd
replied she hadn't gotten to April yet on Aug 17th.

I'm glad to know she is working in April now! (not that it makes the anxiety and lower, lol)

Best of luck! I'll be looking for your good news!

christygis

Registered
Reaction score
(fanning self) Ok, peeps. I just rec'd a request for a full from Entangled, but they asked that I send a list of tropes with it. What the heck is this? I have absolutely no clue and Googling ain't helping?

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Wow, good question! That would have stumped me too. I found this list from entangled:

http://www.entangledpublishing.com/submission-information/indulgence-submissions/

With the editors favorite tropes.

For example:

• Heather Howland, Senior Editor –
    Favorite tropes: friends-to-lovers, best friend’s younger sister/older brother, tortured hero, military/law enforcement/protector, sports romance (football, baseball, and hockey), reformed bad boy, bait and switch, mistaken identity, forbidden love, enemies-to-lovers, one night stand, marriage of convenience, reunited lovers, girl/boy next door, tycoons, redemption, office romance, and fish out of water. Must have a fresh, fun voice! Not a fan of royalty, secret babies/pregnancies, bets, amnesia, blackmail, or revenge plots, but the right one might change my mind.

christygis

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Jamie. If they'd said "theme" I might've known! LOL! From the list you show, I could pick at least 3. She said to send a list of tropes, so I guess I pick as many as I want.

Ann_Mayburn

Smutty McTitters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annmayburn.com
I found this list to be super helpful. :)

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LoveTropes

For example...the famous love triangle trope

Fire And Ice Love Triangle
These days, it's common for a love triangle to be between two guys over one girl, instead of the other way around. These two fellows can be sorted into two general character types, one cold and aloof (the Ice), and the other one warm and passionate (the fire). Almost always a Type 7 Love Triangle that progresses to a Type 4 when the heroine chooses who she loves. The ice of the love triangle will be the Blue Oni compared to the Fire, or in some cases, the heroine. He has an aloof demeanor, and is quiet, calculating, introverted, cultured, sensitive, and calm. He's that hot, mysterious bad boy your parents never wanted you to date, and the one you've always wanted to. Can be antagonistic to the heroine at first. Almost always cast as The Stoic, and can become a defrosting ice king with the help of the heroine's love. Subtropes of the Ice include Love Redeems, All Girls Want Bad Boys, Ladykiller in Love (in some cases), Defrosting Ice King, The Snark Knight, Sugar and Ice Personality, and Troubled, but Cute. The fire of the love triangle will be the Red Oni compared to the Ice. He's warm, passionate, reckless, and fun loving. He's also the childhood friend you've always thought of like a brother. But NOW... He is all grown up. Is the safer bet to the Ice, and will offer a more stable life. Subtropes of the Fire include Just Friends, Dogged Nice Guy, Childhood Friend Romance, and Belligerent Sexual Tension. Examples:

Anime and Manga
  • Star Driver has Sawako pitted between Takuto (fire, being very spirited and innocent) and Sugata (ice, being calm and mature). Inverted that Sugata is the childhood mate turned arranged fiancee.
  • Shiemi from Blue Exorcist is liked by two guys, one is Rin, who is the Fire, and Yukio, the ice.
  • Samurai Champloo has Jin as Ice, Mugen as Fire (Red Oni, Blue Oni, yes, very much), and as the story advances, their bodyguardee Fuu is shown to grow fond of both (Type 1). Type 10 is pretty widely accepted as the situation later on, with Mugen as a, but then again, Jin's very stoic personality makes the triangle a particluarly tricky one to classify. Not that the other two are too easy to read either.
    • Fanfiction is fond of using Fuu as a catalyst for Type 6 (as a), Type 9 (as a), Type 11 (as b) or Type 12 (as b) situations to get the guys together.
  • Fruits Basket has this with the calm introverted Yuki and the hot blooded Kyo.
Literature
  • Edward and Jacob from Twilight. Edward is the Ice and Jacob is the Fire.
  • Peeta and Gale from the Hunger Games series are this as well. Peeta is the Fire and Gale is the Ice.
  • Simon and Jace from the first half of the Mortal Instruments. Jace is arrogant, cold, and distant while Simon is dorky, caring, and an Unlucky Childhood Friend.
Live-Action Television
  • In an episode of Homicide: Life on the Street, a prim and proper career military man is accused of killing his wife because she left him for her bad boy lover. As it turned out he did kill her, but precisely because she tried to go back to him, undermining his sense of control.
Webcomics
  • The Dave/Terezi/Karkat love triangle in Homestuck with calm, cool kid Dave as the "ice" and the hot-headed and emotional Karkat as "fire".
Western Animation
  • In the Bolin/Korra/Mako love triangle in The Legend Of Korra, Mako is the ice to Bolin's fire. Interestingly enough, the cooler-mannered Mako is a firebender.

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
I love TV Tropes... but for those who haven't been there before, be warned. It is addictive! (And a massive time suck unless you have steel-beam willpower.)

Interesting that Entangled asks for a tropes list for submissions. That could be kind of fun. (My current "I'm tired of writing for the day" project is creating a TV Tropes-type list for my own books. Not going to post it on the site; it's just me, but it is fun.)

trinity

Registered
Reaction score
I finally heard back on zombie fairy tale sub. It was a pass. Good luck to the rest of you who are still waiting :)

MacKinnon

Registered
Reaction score
Best of luck! I'll be looking for your good news!

Aww, thanks! This whole experience has just been amazing. Whether my book is accepted or not, the Entangled Staff that I have conversed with has been pleasant and more than accommodating!

cameomac

Geek girl since 1977
Registered
Reaction score
:( Sad to hear that, Trinity. Best of luck with your next project.

christygis

Registered
Reaction score
Aw, that sucks, Trinity! I finally got mine polished and sent the requested full to Kerry with the Covet line. (crossing fingers and toes!)

trinity

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. It's okay, lots of other projects to keep me busy. I hope you all get good news soon!

cameomac

Geek girl since 1977
Registered
Reaction score
Got my pass on the zombie fairy tales today. Good luck to everyone still in ;)

girlyswot

Registered
Reaction score
Website
myromancereviews.wordpress.com
Adrien tweeted earlier that he's now sent all the rejection letters for the subs. If you haven't heard back, that means he's sending the story for approval by the senior management. So it's good news, probably!

TorontoGirl

Write on, write on...
Registered
Reaction score
I got a pass on my zombie fairy tales. Got my fingers and toes crossed for those still in the running :)

Scribble Orca

Cetacean Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Adrien tweeted earlier that he's now sent all the rejection letters for the subs. If you haven't heard back, that means he's sending the story for approval by the senior management. So it's good news, probably!

ER - I submitted to them in mid August and just assumed they weren't interested when I didn't hear back from them. So....you're saying that no news is (might be) good news?