• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Entangled Publishing

April Marie

Registered
Reaction score
Experience

Not sure if I miss out reading the following on the various pages within this thread, but for those authors who have been published with Entangled, what are your experiences like? Payment, contract, editorial process, marketing, etc.? Any other additional information available? Thank you so much in advance.
Although I have not been published by Entangled, I have researched the company thoroughly. The fact that best selling authors continue to publish with them over and over again alone tells me they are at the top of their game. I currently have a stand alone novel and a three book series "in progress" with Entangled now. The stand alone went in progress on day six. The series flipped on day nine. I am currently on day day 22. I will keep you posted on my results.

Last edited:

Alcasgra

Registered
Reaction score
Although I have not been published by Entangled, I have researched the company thoroughly. The fact that best selling authors continue to publish with them over and over again alone tells me they are at the top of their game. I currently have a stand alone novel and a three book series "in progress" with Entangled now. The stand alone went in progress on day six. The series flipped on day nine. I am currently on day day 22. I will keep you posted on my results.

Thank you so much, April. I really appreciate the update! =)

April Marie

Registered
Reaction score
Status

Thank you so much, April. I really appreciate the update! =)[/QUOT

Status update: I am one month and three days in. My three book series has been sent to another editor that represents Select Contemporary. Hopefully that is a good thing. My stand-alone is still in progress. I will keep you posted. Did you decide to query Entangled?

Last edited:

NineLimes

Registered
Reaction score
Although I have not been published by Entangled, I have researched the company thoroughly. The fact that best selling authors continue to publish with them over and over again alone tells me they are at the top of their game.

Or it could tell you that Entangled focuses 80% of its efforts on a handful of authors and relies on them to keep the company afloat. Which could qualify as "top of their game," sure.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Or it could tell you that Entangled focuses 80% of its efforts on a handful of authors and relies on them to keep the company afloat. Which could qualify as "top of their game," sure.

May I ask you what your source is for these disparaging comments? You've posted something like this before in this thread and with only a handful of posts on the board it's hard to see where you're coming from.

Did you write for Entangled? Did you have poor sales with them?

I'd like some context for your post, if you don't mind. Thank you.

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
I'm continuously confused by Entangled--I can never tell if they are romance ONLY or if they're open to other things, and I've heard different things from different people. They were all over MSWL with things that I have ready to submit (sci fi, fantasy, etc) but I don't know if my YA stuff is romancey enough for them. If a book has romance hinted but its not resolved in the first book of the series and the plot is mainly NOT romance, is Entangled not a good fit?

The other thing that's keeping me from submitting to them is that my work that does have romance is Fae portal fantasy, and during a pitch session at writeoncon, the editors basically said that Fae was a dead market. Dead market = story of my life.

Last edited:

NineLimes

Registered
Reaction score
May I ask you what your source is for these disparaging comments? You've posted something like this before in this thread and with only a handful of posts on the board it's hard to see where you're coming from.

Did you write for Entangled? Did you have poor sales with them?

I'd like some context for your post, if you don't mind. Thank you.

1. Facts aren't necessarily disparaging.
2. You may ask for my publishing resume, but for many reasons, I choose not to share that here.
3. I find it interesting that you demand my bona fides but when someone assures you that they've done a lot of research and Entangled is awesome, you accept it without question.
4. Take my anonymous internet posts with a grain of salt if you like, I'm just trying to help people out.

Last edited:

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
1. Facts aren't necessarily disparaging.
2. You may ask for my publishing resume, but for many reasons, I choose not to share that here.
3. I find it interesting that you demand my bona fides but when someone assures you that they've done a lot of research and Entangled is awesome, you accept it without question.
4. Take my anonymous internet posts with a grain of salt if you like, I'm just trying to help people out.

1) You've presented no facts, just your opinion. If you were to say something like, I wrote for them and only sold 20 copies when they promised me 2000, then that's a fact.
2) Duly noted. However, it does cast a shadow on your comments when there's no perspective. You must understand that an anonymous source doesn't have as much weight as if you had some actual experience to relate. You don't have to give up your real name but if you have had a bad experience with Entangled it'd be more useful for those reading this thread to detail what happened to you other than "Entangled, bad".
3) Nowhere in this thread did I say that Entangled is awesome. As with all publishers, authors are going to have different experiences and what worked for one may not work for another.
4) Helping people out with vague insinuations by name-dropping about the people behind Entangled isn't really "helping". If you had/have information about them not paying royalties, for example, or some other actual issue it'd be a lot more helpful than general "they're bad people" postings.

If you truly want to steer people away from Entangled you'll have to give more details than what you've provided so far. Generalities don't work as well as giving actual facts when it comes to calling out a publisher.

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score

I have a friend who had a terrible experience with Entangled and another friend who's seemed to have had a good experience, so I'm guarded when it comes to this publisher. That said, the above statement could be applied to virtually every publisher on the planet. It stinks for those of us who aren't the go-to moneymakers, but that's just the way it is.

NineLimes

Registered
Reaction score
the above statement could be applied to virtually every publisher on the planet. It stinks for those of us who aren't the go-to moneymakers, but that's just the way it is.

This was really the point I was trying to make.

The Publishers may be doing the job they're doing to KEEP bestselling authors, not that the publishers have MADE the bestselling authors. And if you're not James Patterson... what are they going to do for you?

NineLimes

Registered
Reaction score
1) You've presented no facts, just your opinion. If you were to say something like, I wrote for them and only sold 20 copies when they promised me 2000, then that's a fact.
2) Duly noted. However, it does cast a shadow on your comments when there's no perspective. You must understand that an anonymous source doesn't have as much weight as if you had some actual experience to relate. You don't have to give up your real name but if you have had a bad experience with Entangled it'd be more useful for those reading this thread to detail what happened to you other than "Entangled, bad".
3) Nowhere in this thread did I say that Entangled is awesome. As with all publishers, authors are going to have different experiences and what worked for one may not work for another.
4) Helping people out with vague insinuations by name-dropping about the people behind Entangled isn't really "helping". If you had/have information about them not paying royalties, for example, or some other actual issue it'd be a lot more helpful than general "they're bad people" postings.

If you truly want to steer people away from Entangled you'll have to give more details than what you've provided so far. Generalities don't work as well as giving actual facts when it comes to calling out a publisher.

Take a deep breath.

I've posted exactly twice on this publisher, pretty much just saying caveat emptor. Never said anyone was bad, I think I said Liz wasn't a genius but I think she'd agree with me. Maybe. I think she's a creative entrepreneur and a hard working business woman. Props to her.

Never have I tried to steer anyone away, but in a world with publishers going out of business every 6 months, I do worry about authors jumping onto bandwagons without keeping both their eyes (and options) wide open.

Deb Kinnard

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
www.debkinnard.com
I think I can attest somewhat (not about Entangled) to what NineLimes is saying. Small presses must focus their efforts. If that means they put a lot of promo effort behind their major sellers, how does that differ from Big Horking NYC Publisher, Inc.? They do similar things. And with ArE and Samhain going belly up, it does IMO behoove us to look at small presses with all possible information.

Everyone says that it's right and self-protective to do due diligence when figuring out what publishers to sub a project to (yes, I know that's a preposition -- get a lawyer). But it's also tough to dig deeply enough to tell a writer if the publisher looks good superficially but is really a "run far away" house if you get below the surface.

My take; no experience with Entangled, no dog in this hunt, but experience with multiple small presses, so take it as you will.

Twinings

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any insights about publishing m/m romance with Entangled? I see some of their editors are soliciting the genre, but only 11 titles come up for the LGBTQ search in their store (and they're not all m/m).

A.P.M.

Registered
Reaction score
As a writer and reader of M/M, Entangled is not my first thought when I think of the genre. There are other publishers that come to mind first, such as Dreamspinner. That's not to say that Entangled wouldn't publish it or that it couldn't do well there, but I don't think M/M is what they're really known for, and thus you might have a harder time immediately finding your audience.

Twinings

Registered
Reaction score
As a writer and reader of M/M, Entangled is not my first thought when I think of the genre. There are other publishers that come to mind first, such as Dreamspinner. That's not to say that Entangled wouldn't publish it or that it couldn't do well there, but I don't think M/M is what they're really known for, and thus you might have a harder time immediately finding your audience.

Thank you. That was my suspicion when I saw that it seems to be a genre with such slender representation there, but I wasn't sure, so this is very helpful.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
I'm continuously confused by Entangled--I can never tell if they are romance ONLY or if they're open to other things, and I've heard different things from different people. They were all over MSWL with things that I have ready to submit (sci fi, fantasy, etc) but I don't know if my YA stuff is romancey enough for them. If a book has romance hinted but its not resolved in the first book of the series and the plot is mainly NOT romance, is Entangled not a good fit?

The other thing that's keeping me from submitting to them is that my work that does have romance is Fae portal fantasy, and during a pitch session at writeoncon, the editors basically said that Fae was a dead market. Dead market = story of my life.

My experience with Entangled is that no matter what they may say or request in pitch contests, when the rubber hits the road it had better be romance. My experience with them wasn't wonderful, but then I don't write "romance only" type stories either. Fortunately I was able to get rights back from the one book I had with them, arguing that it really wasn't romancey enough for them. Others' mileage may vary, but for me and my books it wasn't a good fit.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone have any insights about publishing m/m romance with Entangled? I see some of their editors are soliciting the genre, but only 11 titles come up for the LGBTQ search in their store (and they're not all m/m).

The authors I can think of off the top of my head who have m/m at Entangled did it in series with m/f couples in the other books. eg. Megan Erickson, Tessa Bailey, and Jenny Holiday.

I would agree with what A.P.M. says:

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I have a YA m/f series with Entangled and when I mentioned that the next logical book would be m/m, they were totally open to that. I haven't written it (and doubt I will, although I never say never) so I can't say how it would sell. But it furthers LJD's observation about the m/f to m/m pattern...

Twinings

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for this, LJD and Captcha. It sounds as if Entangled is not the place to look for publishing a standalone M/M.

Alcasgra

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you so much, April. I really appreciate the update! =)[/QUOT

Status update: I am one month and three days in. My three book series has been sent to another editor that represents Select Contemporary. Hopefully that is a good thing. My stand-alone is still in progress. I will keep you posted. Did you decide to query Entangled?

Not yet, April. I'm currently associated with four different publishers already. I think I'll hold off on querying with a new publisher for now. =)

popmuze

Last of a Dying Breed
Registered
Reaction score
Just got a like from them on pit mad for my YA standalone S/F with some romance. Having exhausted most agents (literally and figuratively), I figure I may as well submit. Ironically, I'm on the verge of turning it into a screenplay.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Entangled is one of the small publishers I most respect for YA. I got a like on my newest novel from AW's own Lydia Sharp (well, her assistant) and she definitely describes my book in her wishlist. But I haven't started querying agents yet, so I'm on the fence about submitting here right off the bat. Entangled is great, but there are bigger opportunities out there.

romancewriter

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted via submittal on Feb 14 for a Spec Call and the guidelines say to wait at least 60 days but it's been closer to 90. I haven't gotten an answer and I see no way to do a follow up on the site. Any suggestions?

captkirk12

Registered
Reaction score
Just thought I'd post my experience with Entangled Publishing. Submitted in August to August (new imprint). :) Originally had a 70K contemporary romance (the upper limit stated on their Submissions page for the August imprint) ready to go but when I clicked to submit via Submittable the next page had a lower limit listed - 65K. The Submittable page had a 65K limit as well so I spent some time revising to fall within that range. Approximately 6 weeks passed before it went from "Received" to "In-Progress". The 60-day mark arrived with no rejection or update so I nudged via the general Submissions email address but received no response.

At this point I'm assuming it's a rejection but luckily I received a very positive and detailed R&R on the same manuscript from an editor at another publisher (only waited 3 weeks for a response!). She asked only that I strengthen one particular line of conflict so I'm moving forward with that revision. Best of luck to anyone on submission with Entangled, or any other publisher for that matter.

WriterHJ

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted to Entangled in June (22nd) and received my response on the 3rd of October. In it the editor wrote the submission was intriguing and well written, however the following issue felt too problematic for us to consider the manuscript further. She informed me of what the problem was, then wrote, "We understand that writing is a continual process of development and improvement, so should you choose to revise this project, you are welcome to resubmit it for consideration no earlier than six months from today's date. In the meantime, please keep us in mind for your next project.
I know this may seem like a silly question to some, but to me this seemed like a polite and informative rejection, however I was also told by some friends they have received emails like this and they see it as a r&r. Can anyone else weigh in for me so we can settle this debate? Thanks!