Writing a play with no experience in theatre

Lyla

Wordweaver
Registered
Reaction score
I cured my shyness by attending a stage acting workshop.
And that is what I'm suggesting shy people do. Just one workshop can completely change you and how you see yourself.

Last edited:

MrFrankenstein

Registered
Reaction score
re attending a stage acting workshop, that's a good suggestion. Also, for writers who've got no experience in theater (I think someone already mentioned it in this thread) Joining a local amateur-dramatic group will give you a bird's eye view of the basic structure of theater and who the important people are.
(Its often the stagehands and FX guys who have to be relied on to provide that essential car skidding noise in Act Two, or the props person readying the gun with blanks, to be used at the final moments of Act Three...) Seriously though, theater is like an iceberg, the actors are the tip and there's a quiet bustling army of people ensuring they're all where they should be and looking good. Joining a local theater production of anything will broaden your horizons and give you a great taste of both 'behind the scenes' as well as give you a sense of what is possible to conjure up on a stage in a way that an audience will believe it - without them knowing about the chaos at times behind the scenes...

JennieRose8

Registered
Reaction score
Off the top of my head:
Just keep writing. The more you write, and the more plays you've seen, the better. Read some of the minimalist guys, Pinter comes to mind - where the dialog is so sparse, its almost nonexistent at times.
You want the audience to be thinking and making up their own minds about your characters - so play with what you reckon your audience is 'seeing,' at times - and then break their preconceptions. (For instance, purely as an example - if its a scene where it appears to be an old man and a young girl - how long can you hide the fact its father and daughter? DO you want to hide this fact? Its a game you can play as a writer constantly with your audience. It forces them to think a little, rather than sit and be spoonfed 'character information.'
Same kind of 'gameplaying' can happen throughout your script, where you make the audience think 'A' and then sideswipe 'em with 'B.'
Also, theatre isn't radio with pictures. If an audience can see something happening, there's no need to spell it out verbally. Ditto using characters names too much (if at all) - that's a big area where a lot of plays fall down, people keep using each other's names in dialog - when in reality, you may well chat with family or friend for an entire scene without using their name. Trust that an audience is as clever as you are and will stick with what you're doing and showing them. So create stuff for them as if they are your equals. If you wouldn't tolerate X, then why let your audience have to? Stage and audience are on equal footing - they're just watching a story unfold. Make it fun for yourself and them.

(I mention Pinter because of the fun he's having with rhythms and silences - even though his plays are deadly serious things. Same with Tom Stoppard. There's always a ghoulish sense of fun discernible behind the lines. You can 'feel' the writer playing with language, turning conversation into drum solo's and conflict, using syllables and pauses for rhythm and effect, like jazz improv.)

Also - think 'scenes' - where your characters discover (the situation they're in) or (their relationship to one another) - and more importantly, how soon you want the audience to know these things. Who everyone is, and/or 'why they are confined to the area on the stage in view of the audience.'
Sometimes its fun when the audience gets to feel 'more clever' than the characters. Or is cringing at the bad mistakes the character's making - perhaps in a social situation, etiquette etc. Theatre's wonderfully interactive in a true sense.

But step one is: have fun and just write the story, let the characters chatter and have the plot line interfere and overwhelm them and force them to respond to it (whatever the 'conflict' is that's getting in the way of your characters lives). Don't let an absence of formal training get in the way of your self esteem - or your stories. I was never trained in Drama, but have made a living from my plays being staged for a long time. Its about your stories, not about 'you' or any pieces of paper saying you're now officially 'allowed to be a playwright.' The play's the thing.
Had an Ivy league university stage my stuff last year, got surrounded by people far more 'educated' than I was - but they couldn't write the story I could. Same can happen with you. So don't let the absence of formal qualifications get in the way of the act of simply 'writing the script.' The script is all that matters to those choosing what plays to stage, not where you come from or your degrees.
my two cents worth :)

I wrote a play in high school and am happy to say that I followed some of the "rules" you've dished out here. It was actually quite fun and I'm looking forward to writing another, when I can.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I cured my shyness by attending a stage acting workshop.
And that is what I'm suggesting shy people do. Just one workshop can completely change you and how you see yourself.
I don't mean to be rude or flippant, but if counseling and drugs can't 'cure' shyness, I doubt very much an acting workshop is going to do the trick. Otherwise, the doctors and psychologists who have treated me, my daughter, and my sister and her second child, would have simply sent us all to acting classes.

For those who are able and willing, and this helps, swell. (I bet it's fun, too.) But as Kevin and I stated adamantly earlier in this thread, don't assume that what works for you will work for those playwrights who are quite shy, or a different kind of shy, or just different.

I'm no more likely or able to perform in front of a class than I am to :censored in front of a class. It simply will not happen.

Maryn, quite impatient with people who think shyness can be easily overcome

Eternal Stairmaster

Registered
Reaction score
Recommended reading for any who wish to write a play: The Playwright's Guidebook by Stuart Spencer. It's been praised by several prominent playwrights, including Edward Albee. This is an extremely helpful resource, especially if you're trying to write without a theater geek's perspective. I find myself picking it up again whenever I have writer's block.

I think the most important thing any new playwright can do is read the essentials. Pinter is definitely on this list, but also take a look at the works of Tennessee Williams, Edward Albee, Samuel Beckett, and David Mamet. These writers have set the standard for what a play should be, and have created and broken so many rules it's not even funny. The book I mentioned also has a list of plays that should be read. It's really worth your time.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation, Eternal. I'll add it to my wish list.

Maryn, who wishes for much

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Awesome! Thanks for the rec! I've never read any how to books...it would probably help this stumbling idiot to do so! ;-)

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emergencyroomproductions.net
I just stumbled upon this site and this particular subsite last night. But I'm going to go ahead and weigh in on the matter.

I'm a theater geek through and through but I'm also a writing geek through and through. I think both passions started about the same time. I can tell you the first play I saw (a musical version of the Wizard of Oz at the age of 5 that my dad was in). I've been involved in all aspects of the theater (actor, stage crew, director, fight choreography, and most recently playwright).

I'm not an outgoing person outside of the stage, I find it difficult to find and maintain friendships. I am a solitary person, which does help my writing. But when the lights come on, so do I. And I've seen it happen with others.

Do I think you need the same experiences I've had to be a playwright? No, absolutely not. I think it helps, but isn't neccassary. I've read pieces written by actors that are wonderfully written, with great ideas, but aren't right for the stage. What I think having some experience in the theater will help you with (even if it's just going to rehearsals and watching and listening to how actors and directors talk to each other) is the "guts" of the theater and it's jargon. You should know that actors never turn their backs to the audience unless neccassary. You should know what "cheat out" means, what "stage right" and "stage left" mean. You should know what goes into a costume change. One of my first plays I was really proud of (a lovely adaptation of Alice in Wonderland that is being prepared for publication) involved a breakaway chair, a breakaway cup and an ONSTAGE costume change (Alice's hair turns from brunette to blonde). I knew that these would be difficult to do from experience as an actor but wanted them in there anyways. The director (a friend of mine) almost shot me in the difficulty (it was a no budget Children's theater) of trying to figure these things out. But we managed. 2 years later, for an adaptation of Tom Sawyer I did for the same theater, I simplified, keeping all but the last scene in one location, minimal costume changes, etc.

I'm rambling here, I know, sorry. Here's what I suggest. Get involved in the local theater scene, even if it's just watching rehearsals or feeding lines to actors. Watch how the director blocks the scene, learn terminology and jargon (some writers never go into such detail [like Pinter] but you can be damn sure they know it. Other flood their scripts with it [I do, but that probably comes from reading too many Harlan Ellison screenplays where he writes out exactly how he imagines the shot taking place].) Read plays (all the ones suggested here are great. Go to amazon and look up any plays that have won Tony's. You can usually pick up an actors copy script cheap). Watch plays, if you can't see them live then watch "Live on Stage" DVDs. Go to a college library and look for a cheap, used copy of a theater or acting text book. If you can, sit in on an acting or beginning theater class.

Break A Leg--Bloo

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A pleasure to have you here, Bloo--thanks for sharing your experience.

Maryn, shaking hands

Clueless

Going on a mental vacation.
Registered
Reaction score
It really helps to have acted in plays, especially as minor characters.

I've helped a couple of my friends with their plays, mostly on their dialogues, because they've experienced the plays in every way but actually acting on the stage.
Each play has a flow, and being in it can help you figure out what the whole play is supposed to feel like.
If you're a minor character, your role is more about setting up the mood for everyone else, and making the transitions easier.
Also, keep the blocking to a minimum. Those two hints helped me out when I started.

Clueless

Registered
Reaction score
Try reading scripts. There's a very specific way to write plays, that goes beyond just writing. A lot of the play depends on the direction of it. Reading scripts kind of taught me when to dictate word by word what should happen for the sake of the play, and when to let the director take artistic liberties... I've acted in a couple of plays, and every single time there has been at least one line or stage direction that needs to be changed for the sake of resources or stage set-up. Even two companies that produce the same play will create two different results, from stage setting to direction and blocking.

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I haven't been on this thread in awhile, but I would like to add one piece of advice to what I posted a year ago (bTW my Alice in Wonderland script has been published, my Tom Sawyer script has just been accepted and contract signed on Twain's birthday LOL). I know I said read plays and others have said that too, I would like to put in an addendum, find a playwright that you love and read everything by him. For me, right now, that's Neil Simon. I have Complete Works of Neil Simon vols 2 and 4 at the moment (picked up a thrift store of all places) and am devouring them, because I love Neil. Find a playwright like that and read everything you can by him. (I also know you can get Ariostphanies vols 1 & 2 for free on the Kindle on Amazon, Oscar Wilde I believe as well, a few others)

Doug B

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Bloo about reading every thing by a playwright. Although I write some, I am mostly a director. When I direct a play, I try to read everything the playwright has written - it gives you a much better insight into the playwright.

One of my favorites is Bernard Slade - I have read everything he has written. Another is Jeffrey Hatcher.

Neil Simon is a favorite of mine too. I've directed at least a dozen of his plays and still have one or two more I want to do someday. As you study Simon, examine the style of the humor.

Much of his humor doesn't work today. I directed the female version of The Odd Couple and it worked well. On the other hand the male version of the Odd Couple doesn't work today - even as a period piece. I've seen two productions of it - an amateur production in Washington State and a professional production in Florida. (Both in 2010) Neither one worked for me.

Compare Simon's plays to Tennessee Williams whose works are still relevant today. If you read Simon's two volume autobiography, you get an insight to his attitudes towards his contemporary playwrights. (Very jealous of the honors draped on Arthur Miller and Tennessee Williams.)

Doug

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Doug have you read or seen Simon's update on The Odd Couple (male), Felix and Oscar? I've been tempted to read it for awhile and just haven't gotten around to it. I think I read Samuel French is doing ecopies now I might look and see if I can fid it ;)

About 6 months ago, I did the Odd Couple (as Oscar, 2nd time ;) ) with my community theater group. We also did the female version, kept both as period pieces (with some interesting casting, our Felix for example was African-American, he and I were about the same age [mid-30s] as was our Murry and Speed. Roy and Vinnie were both in their mid 50s) and our male version was better recived and got more laughs then our female version. However when I did the show 10 years ago, the female version got better reaction then the male version (also a show with interesting casting, again period, but our Speed was female).

What I've found is that when there is a level of real life tension between Oscar and Felix (or Florence and Olive) the show gets a better reaction. I had a hard time working with my Felix this last time (he didn't like memorizing, wanted to improv all the time, got lines confused, had a hard time listening to direction) so the "blow up scene" in Act 3 had a much more feel of "reality" to it. Our female version had the opposite problem, Florence and Olive got along great and I think Act 3 suffered for it.

Had the exact opposite issue in the previous production, our Olive and Florance couldn't stand each other, but Felix and I got along great.

I LOVE The Odd Couple and am seriously thinking about auditioning for a paying theater's production this summer (they are about a 100 miles from where I live, so obviously I would have to move, but they offer housing along with a stipend.) They are also doing one of my 2 favorite musicals, The Fantasticks.

Doug B

Registered
Reaction score
I have read the new version - quite a while back when it first came out. He lists his daughter as co-playwright - to extend the copyright I think. It isn't much different - as I remember it, the biggest change was using cell phones.

If I get the chance, I'll see The Odd Couple again as see if I can find what you see in it.

Doug

Bloo

Roofied by Rylan
Registered
Reaction score
Website
that's kind of disappointing that that is the biggest change, still I'm curiouis to read it.

and ahh that Neil Simon, he's a clever one isn't he

Doug B

Registered
Reaction score
Based on the advice of his brother, Neil Simon sold the rights to the original Odd Couple and one other play (I forget which) so he got nothing out of the movies, the TV show or all of the productions of that play. (His brother figured that, with two hits, Neil should sell while he was popular - after all, how many hit plays could one person write!!!!)

Doug

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
I would say read a variety of plays so you can find which writer your voice has more in common with. Beware of trying to imitate a writer.

Clueless

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not trying to be all pissy (you'll know when I'm trying, honest), but I don't think this is true for many of us, although I don't doubt it's been true for you.

Like KTC, my works have been short, one of them produced, one placing high in a play contest. One of the original members of my long-time critique group was co-producer at a black-box theatre, and he was a shy, retiring man who could write for theatre but would never take the stage. Ever.

At AW, I've learned that this level of shyness is not at all uncommon in writers. It's been a source of amusement at every annual House of Love get-together--we have plenty of people say no, they're too shy to come, and those who do are scared until they realize 80 or 90% of us are just as shy.

Shyness can be a hindrance, and those who don't have it may be at an advantage, but a playwright who's also real shy can manage. For instance, I am able to talk to the director and actors, although it's not easy for me. I do it because I'm a professional and it's part of the job.

But schmoozing or auditioning at the local theatre is not going to work for me, or for KTC, or for lots of playwrights. Thank god it doesn't have to.

I've been a season subscriber to the local equity house for eons, and while I certainly can't cite statistics, it seems that most of the non-musical plays I've seen were by playwrights who were never actors but always writers. This season I've seen only one playwright whose bio mentioned amateur acting (Tom Dudzick).

So while the path of becoming a part of the local theatre scene is one approach which has worked, please, let's not assume it's the only approach which can work. Shy people can and do write for the stage.

Maryn, who's read one of KTC's plays and enjoyed it

Both of you are right, of course, but I'll have to agree with being sociable for a new playwright. More often than not, a new play will have to have a lot of contact with all the creative forces at play, including the playwright. KTC's example is one of the more rare examples, because in his case the competition itself is the focus.

Mind you, this is coming from a production side. Since new works and new authors have no established repertoire, they have to create one with the theater and the different directors.

I've seen three separate occasions where a writer walked away with his mangled work because he didn't collaborate with the theater or director, and gave them free reign. Of those three, only one play was marginally successful at box office, but the theater found it too risky to invest in that author anyways.

I'd like to point out that often these "new work" meetings are extremely personal, with only the writer, director, producer and one board member involved. Oftentimes it's a one on one meeting with the writer and someone else.

I'd say going out and interacting with actors and the scene and tech guys would be too much, since that can encroach on the director's territory. At most, introduce yourself to the actors and maybe (emphasis on maybe, if the director or actors ask) talk about the themes of your piece. Even that, I would say, is optional.

A new play is scary for everyone involved. Hope things fall into place.