AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: [Content site] Myfreeread.com

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar

[Content site] Myfreeread.com

http://www.myfreeread.com/

YADS: Yet Another Display Site. This one takes advertising. They spammed me today.

The pitch: You get to "promote" your writing on their site (i.e., donate it to the site owners). People will supposedly come there to read free e-books and articles, the traffic will attract advertisers, and eventually you'll get a share of the site's advertising revenue.

This is unworkable for all the usual reasons, the biggest being that readers won't wade through slush, there's a surfeit of interesting, well-written material out there on the web, and all the other sites that have already tried this have failed.

I'm starting to think the urge to put up display sites is embedded in the collective unconscious of our species. Nothing else explains how often this basically bad idea gets reinvented.
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

I actually think it is possible to do a halfway-decent "display" site by using social networking features combined with an independent publisher focus. Basically, a GoodReads for books you are more likely to find on FictionWise than in a brick-and-mortar store.

Not that any author should have to pay to display their work anywhere. But if someone actually invested in a website (i.e. paid for real web design rather than producing your run-of-the-mill "I have no graphic or design skills and no experience but I've heard of something called DreamWeaver" website) and created the right focus, I think it could do alright as a specialized social network. Build in tie-ins to the Facebook API, etc, it could work.

Cultus Gopherus MacAllister Medievalist's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by herdon View Post
    I actually think it is possible to do a halfway-decent "display" site by using social networking features combined with an independent publisher focus. Basically, a GoodReads for books you are more likely to find on FictionWise than in a brick-and-mortar store..
    That's a GoodReads Author page.

It's free.

AW Admin: This account is rarely active
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

Writer Beware Goddess Absolute Sage victoriastrauss's Avatar
    I blogged about this outfit a while back. Not really a display site. Their M.O. seems to have changed, but at the time I wrote about them, they were an advertising network. Now they seem to be trying to get affiliates.

- Victoria

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Unsuccessfully, apparently. Gone now.
    ICAO
    ---------

Censorship always defeats its own purpose, for it creates in the end the kind of society that is incapable of exercising real discretion. -- Henry Steele Commager
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: