Did you try a new food or dish? Tell us about it!

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
cardamom coffee...I was pouring coffee beans into my grinder and noticed the jar of cardamom seeds so put about a half teaspoon of them in with the beans for a 10 cup carafe. It added an interesting aromatic dimension. It kind of smelled like spring time. Leftover coffee the next day had less aromatics but seemed reminiscent of a hazel nut flavor. The third day it just tasted like coffee.

DuncanClinch

Registered
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I had some just-add-water pancake mix whose container I needed to use for something else and some milk that I needed to use up. So I made a giant pancake in a loaf pan because I didn't want to take the time to make regular pancakes. I later sliced the loaf pancake and toasted it in the oven. It was a little dryer than pancakes (I think I left it in the oven too long), but it tasted pretty much the same and saved a bunch of time.

Famoustapu

Registered
Reaction score
For Lavern and Bubastes, and anyone else interested:

Portugese Kale-and-Potato Chowder (from "In Season"
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FBMFUW/?tag=absowrit-20)

1 cup sliced turkey kielbasa (about 6 oz)
2 T. olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
2 garlic cloves, crushed
8 cups 1% lowfat milk
2 lbs peeled cubed baking potato
3/4 t. salt
1/8 t. pepper
5 cups thinly slice fresh kale or turnip greens (about 3/4 lb)

1. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until hot. Add kielbasa, saute' 10 minutes or until browned. Remove kielbasa from pan.

2. Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat until hot. Ad onion and garlic, saute' 5 minutes. Add milk, potato, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until potato is very tender.

3. Remove from heat and beat potato mixture at medium speed of a mixer until smooth (I use a food processor. Easier and quicker- HH).

4. Stir in kielbasa and kale, and cook 10 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Yield 8 servings (serving size 1 1/2 cups).

Awesome with crusty bread and a little red wine. :D

Enjoy, y'all!
Hip

Thanks for the recipe, I will try it.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds just like the Caldo Verde I made almost every week last winter, except the version I made calls for chicken broth rather than milk, & the sausage it recommends is a Portuguese linguica (though I made it with kielbasa several times and it was fine, just a little different.)

The recipe I used is this one at Serious Eats. Once the weather cools down I'm going to start making it again!

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Making my first ever from scratch cake today. I don't usually deal with cake, preferring bigger batch goodies that travel easier and aren't as messy to share. But I had an Idea and decided to make it happen. It's my take on those "pie in a cake" novelty cakes I've seen in various places.

The cake is a golden spice cake. Original recipe called for boiled cider, which I don't have, so I used honey instead. I'm filling between the layers with (also from scratch) apple pie filling. Finally, for the sides and as a barrier to hold the pie filling in, I'm whipping up my first ever batch of buttercream--cinnamon flavored, to go with the apples-and-spice theme. Very autumn themed; ironically today still feels like summer, though fall is in the air too.

I have the cake and the filling done, just need the butter to soften up enough to do the buttercream, then put this whole big mess together.

Usually when I do a cake it's a doctored box mix with pre-made frosting, so this is entirely new territory for me.

ETA: The cake turned out very well. I probably won't do this too often, but I think I can add cakes to the list of things I can make. My decorating game needs work, though.

Last edited: