Did you try a new food or dish? Tell us about it!

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Made Pão de Queijo for the first time today. Tapioca flour is extremely weird and I was very :Wha: through the whole process. But, they appear to have turned out quite well. Taste a lot like Cheez Its. Going to get my recipe 'authenticated' by one of my new Brazilian friends tomorrow at work. If he likes it I'm keeping this one.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seaweed snacks. Come in many flavors, some organic some not.

Trader Joes and Uwajimaya, a Seattle area Japanese grocer carry them.

They occupy your mouth, then dissolve into what surely must be zero calories. You can get them with variable salt content.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The other night I made corn fritters for the first time. I used a recipe from Instructables and accidentally-on-purpose omitted the melted butter and the cheese. (I was prepared to add them if the batter didn't stick together enough, but it wasn't necessary.) They came out pretty well! Of course, even though I didn't deep-fry them, they still required a good bit of oil in my non-stick pan to brown properly, so they're not terribly healthy--just tasty.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tunas! Not the fish but the fruit of a cactus that grows in the Andes mountains. There are two kinds, the red and the yellow. I prefer the yellow, the taste is milder. The texture is like a slightly mushier kiwi fruit, but the taste is not as sweet anda little cucumberly.

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Tunas! Not the fish but the fruit of a cactus that grows in the Andes mountains.

I on the other hand, DID just try a new kind of fish for the first time - Alligator Gar

My friends and I caught one yesterday and these things are just awful. First off, if you miraculously manage to get it out of the water and into the cooler without getting injured, you're not in the clear yet. Turns out that as a defense mechanism, they'll pee all over the drinks in your ice chest.

They’re covered in thick gooey slime, and the skin with the scales on it is so tough that it was used by Native Americans as armor. A regular fillet knife bounces right off their armored bodies, the way it would bounce off a turtle shell. You have to use thick shears or wire cutters or some such thing to cut the skin open, and wear gloves while you do it to avoid being cut by the scales.

When you finally get through the insane skin and can butcher the thing (still crazy difficult, because the skin fights to hold its form, you have to be extra careful not to open the body cavity, because if the fish you caught happens to be female, the roe is poisonous and can contaminate the meat.

So finally you very carefully manage to harvest a couple teeny little fillets (I’ve gotten bigger meals off a good-sized sunfish)… and after all that effort, the meat itself can be summed up as “meh.” It's not bad, with a texture similar to gator and a sort of generic fish flavor, but it's certainly nothing special.

I'm very much an "if I catch it and it's legal to keep, Imma eat it," sort of fisher, but I may have finally found a critter I’ll throw back. (The one we caught yesterday was pretty small, though. If I caught a four or five-footer, there'd probably be enough meat on it to make the butchering worthwhile).

Last edited:

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Tried it months ago, and thinking about it now because my daughter has requested I make it tonight when I come visit her. I have made it so many times since I first made it this past winter...everybody loves it. Burrito lasagna. Turns out it's kind of all over the internet in various forms...most often referred to as burrito casserole, but for me lasagna suits it best...because it is layers and I feel like I'm making lasagna while substituting all the layers for burrito-esque ingredients. SO EASY TO MAKE.

Ingredients:
1 Can Re-Fried Beans (Spicy jalapeno if you're so inclined)
1/2 Cup Sour Cream
Mexican Blend Shredded Cheese
1 Can Cream of Mushroom Soup
1lb Ground Beef
1 Small Onion
6 Large Tortillas (I usually try to get the flavoured ones---tomato or guacamole)
1 Packet Taco Seasoning

Pre-heat oven to 350
-Cook the ground beef and diced onion and drain
-add taco seasoning and re-fried beans to pan and heat through
-Separately, blend mushroom soup and sour cream

spread 1/2 the soup mixture in the bottom of a casserole dish/baking pan.
tear half the tortillas into large chunks and form a layer on top of the soup mixture.
spread on a layer of the meat mixture and cover it with a layer of cheese.
REPEAT the layers, so that the top layer is cheese.
Bake for about 1/2 an hour.

I usually put jalapeno slices on top for my partner and I...and even mince some up with the meat. With the kids/grandkids I go easy on the spices, but you can really do any variation with this. Garnish with nothing, or garnish with tomatoes, chives, whatever you think works into the theme...it's really delicious. I think it's even better the second day. It firms up. It's so easy to slice and serve, too.

YUM-TO-THE-YUMMY!

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
That does sound yummy KTC. I'm a lazy cook and definitely no purist. If I can use a can opener, rip open some bags and then throw everything in one dish I am a happy, happy cook! I sometimes buy pre chopped frozen onions so I wouldn't even have to haul out a knife. Thanks! :)

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure i haven't responded in this thread yet. i can't read all six pages to find out (i'm at work)....

but Blue Apron introduced me to foods that the pre-Blue apron me would have thought you'd be crazy to eat such foods....such as squash, persimmon, arugula, chicken (ok, yes i've had chicken before, but until now, it wasn't my priority food), fig jam...and those are just a few.
and thanx to Japan Crate....i get to try all sorts of Japanese snacks/foods/whatever. red bean paste, honey butter pretz, green tea kit kats....are just a few of the things that are added to my MUST HAVE list....every month, i get a new box with new exciting snacks! Japan sure has some weird flavors though...LOL

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
but Blue Apron introduced me to foods that the pre-Blue apron me would have thought you'd be crazy to eat such foods....such as squash, persimmon, arugula, chicken (ok, yes i've had chicken before, but until now, it wasn't my priority food), fig jam...and those are just a few.

This is me with Home Chef. It's got me cooking foods I've never made at home before (last night I made pico de gallo and french fries from scratch, and last week I fried chicken), eating things I never tried before (fennel, kale, brussel sprouts), and cooking more creatively and healthily at home. Tonight is garlic pork tenderloin with a mustard-cream bearnaise sauce and asparagus, and I can't wait to get home and make it. *drool*

RedRajah

Special Snowflake? No. Hailstone
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
There's a grilled calamari salad recipe from Marcus Samuelsson that I am dying to try with my father-in-law (I'm teaching him how to cook and his palate is as adventurous as mine). Making a copy of the recipe today & hopefully will have more to report soon!

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Saffron

I had tried tried it from multiple sources and didn't understand why it was popular. Then I saw an Alton Brown show about how much of the saffron is counterfeit. I know from personal experience that much of the olive oil on the market is also counterfeit. So I tried a few more sources for saffron and found
https://www.rumispice.com/
It's actual saffron and cheaper than other sources that I've tried. It's now a staple in my spice box

DragonHeart

Oerba Yun Fang
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thefinalfantasy.com
Made brigadeiro for the first time today. It's a Brazilian truffle that is weirdly gelatinous and reminiscent of pudding, covered in sprinkles. Very easy to make with the potential to become addicting very fast. Luckily hands off most of this batch, they're for a friend.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I had vanilla yogurt I wasn't going to finish before it went bad so I made pancakes with it this morning, leaving the milk out and adding a bit of water to thin the batter a tad.

They were so good. It made the texture soft and just a little bit sour like buttermilk pancakes should be.

:Thumbs:

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Saffron

I had tried tried it from multiple sources and didn't understand why it was popular. Then I saw an Alton Brown show about how much of the saffron is counterfeit. I know from personal experience that much of the olive oil on the market is also counterfeit. So I tried a few more sources for saffron and found
https://www.rumispice.com/
It's actual saffron and cheaper than other sources that I've tried. It's now a staple in my spice box

I make a saffron tomato challah that's really good -- I dunno where the recipe is atm (book is in a box, sorry), but if you make bread, it's not hard, esp as it's a challah. You basically steep the saffron in a bit of tomato juice (which subs for a a bit of the liquid), and add a teeny bit more as you're combining. It's got a lovely scent and really interesting layered flavours, with the sweetness of the challah and the tangy tomato + saffron and the yeastiness. It's a really fetching colour as well, heh.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Made radish-top pesto yesterday and MAN, is it peppery! :D

I love pesto!

I saw a kid shopping at the farmer's market with his mother last week; he was maybe five. She said, 'oh, how about some beets?' and held up a bunch. Kid said no no no he did not like beets nope. She said but they're good. He said, 'no, they're spicy!! I don't like them!.' She looked at him quizzically, looked at the bunch of (smallish) beets in her hand, tops attached, and said, 'ooh, no those were radishes, you mean radishes. These are different.'

"No. They're too spicy!.'

She half-convinced him in the end. It was adorable. I love a discerning five-year-old farmer's market shopper with reasonable opinions. The beets were red and white, bundled, tied with twine on the tops. He was right to be suspicious.

Last edited:

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
My best friend has a front yard garden and gave me a thank you present of radishes and baby turnip greens. I'm stir-frying the greens tomorrow with grilled cherry-cola marinated pork chops.

Famoustapu

Registered
Reaction score
While watching movie last night, my aunt from Asia let me try her spring roll fries. The crunchiness is still on my mind right now :partyguy:

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The other night night I made a Peruvian fish soup called Chilcano out of some yellowtail scraps. Very delicious and my bf said it was just as good as what he's eaten at home. Unfortunately I couldn't get the image of the fish head floating around in the stock and lost my appetite.

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
At the grocery store my attention was caught by a box of black noodles, and I was excited to find out that they were actually made entirely from black beans. I love both noodles and black beans, so I thought this was great. Sadly, they were not tasty - blander that either plain black beans or plain wheat noodles. They were not good with margarine and salt, and they were not good with a cumin sauce. I really have to wonder if the company bothered to taste-test their own product, because it really needed something tastier mixed in with the bean flour when the noodles were produced.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
More on the floating fish head: bf said with enthusiasm that "it wasn't so bad" and that when all the flesh fell off the skull it "looked like the head of Astroboy."

Missmwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Does wine count? Because I bought this fancy named wine yesterday and it tasted like Love XD

RedRajah

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I made Dan Dan noodles tonight! From Jet Tila's cookbook, with a few last minute tweaks.