bannedbooks

Read a Banned Book

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The 2011 Horror Hounds Celebration and Contest Guidelines

Yeah, but you're being self-depreciating, so I figured, hey, it's a contest -- I can be even MORE self-depreciating!

Also, wild imagination tends to mean "easily distracted."
    WIPs:
    When the System Lags - editing
    Solo Play - writing

Quote Originally Posted by EFCollins View Post
    You have to really think about that, though. How many people bother with novellas at all? The most common story lengths are short story and novel length. Writers tend to think just in those length sets. I'm sure many people tried and just couldn't make it work in the time I gave them. Novellas aren't easy for all writers - and really, if they come too easy then there's an issue with the writing. If you're practiced in writing novels or shorties, then writing something in between is actually more difficult than it sounds because the writerly part of the brain doesn't work that way.

But I think the time for novellas is coming. Especially with the ebook market. Which is exactly why i made this year's wc length what I did. 9 is more than what I expected, actually. I expected perhaps 6-7 entries.
    I secretly think 15-30 is the upper bounds of the short story range, 40-60 is novella, and 90-120 is novel length.

I know that's not actually true, mind. I suspect too much modern horror novels as a child. King and Koontz and so on. Their books are like bricks.
    WIPs:
    Solo Play - writing

Very true, Effie. I had a very difficult time with the length. I'm more of a novel person. Once I get rollin' I can't stop myself. I really didn't think I was going to make it. If not for some very helpful people here, I would've never had gotten it in. Over two thousand words had to be cut in order to get it in the word limit, and that was done on the last day of the due date. Thanks to a friend with a
    Last edited by night-flyer; 06-06-2011 at 12:12 AM.
    <--My blog

twitter & fb (for a friend)

WIP1- One of Us, SF/Horror
    WIP2- Flying with Broken Wings, Fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by Synonym View Post
    Just when I think that this thread couldn't possibly get any stranger...it does.

digging in my word garden sheilas_world's Avatar
    Novella length was tough for me, too. I was writing so lean, I only had about 9,000 words and had to go back and flesh it out, add some other POVs, etc. It was tough.

Of course, the minute I sent the email I thought of about a half-dozen things I could have expanded on. Oh, well.

By the way, Haggis is being modest. He deserves thanks for checking that my second send made it through, thereby saving my sanity. And yes, I have some. SOME.

Sheila

Morning all. I thought there would be more than 9 entries. Like some of you I thought we would have 15 or so.

But definitely congrats to all of us who wrote. It was definitely an exercise in expansion. On each draft I wrote a little more and a little more so that it stretched to the word count.

And thank you Effie and Haggis for the opportunity.
    And the judges. Thank you so much.

9? I also thought that number would be higher.

This is the first time I've attempted a novella. I mostly write short stories. I thought I was going to have problems with the word count but managed to barely squeak by the 15K minimum. I doubt I'll win but happy to be apart of this.

Thank you Effie, Haggis and the judges.

You have to really think about that, though. How many people bother with novellas at all? The most common story lengths are short story and novel length. Writers tend to think just in those length sets. I'm sure many people tried and just couldn't make it work in the time I gave them. Novellas aren't easy for all writers - and really, if they come too easy then there's an issue with the writing. If you're practiced in writing novels or shorties, then writing something in between is actually more difficult than it sounds because the writerly part of the brain doesn't work that way.

But I think the time for novellas is coming. Especially with the ebook market. Which is exactly why i made this year's wc length what I did. 9 is more than what I expected, actually. I expected perhaps 6-7 entries.
    Thanks to you, Effie, and all involved. I've waited years for novellas to receive proper recognition. Its the format I hope I do best at because its how I wrote and what I read.

I wish I had been able to get mine finished and get it in, but it didn't work out this time. Good Luck to everyone who entered!
    I've missed my Lovies for Far too Long!

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising Del's Avatar
    In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
    You have to really think about that, though. How many people bother with novellas at all? The most common story lengths are short story and novel length.
    I found the length quite easy to write. I might have found a new niche.

Several of my stories wouldn't fit in shorts but were dragging to become novels. I'm going to try to rewrite them in the under 40k range and see what happens.

If I get nothing else out of this endeavor I've at least learned I can push out 20k words in a month when the incentive is right. Thanks for that Effie.

And best luck to second and third placers.

J/K Winning isn't as important to me as getting quality feed back or just having finished a project...or staying busy for a month.

But I hate waiting.

Quote Originally Posted by Del View Post
    snip And best luck to second and third placers. snip
    Hey, speak for yourself, buddy! Everybody knows I've got this one in the bag.

So there.

But seriously, anytime you can learn something about yourself or your craft, it's a good thing.

Sheila

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by sheilas_world View Post
    Hey, speak for yourself, buddy! Everybody knows I've got this one in the bag.

So there.

But seriously, anytime you can learn something about yourself or your craft, it's a good thing.
    Trust me. I'm suffering anxiety cuz you're a published author.

Quote Originally Posted by bluntforcetrauma View Post
    Why be anxious?

All of us have done a great job writing this past month, at least 15,000 words even if we had to slash quite a few. We will all get feedback on our stories. That is a great prize, in my opinion, and we all win.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the judges have to say.
    Professional Publication Minion for hire (email me)

FB and ETSY for Shadowflame Designs Beadwork

BLOG

Confessions of a Publishing Minion with beta readers - still needs at least another 15K words

Dragon Masque 44,000/70,000

Well, if this goes again next year I would like a little more for warning! I can't do 20k in a month! So a deadline 2-3 months from the start would be great

Website
    Twitter
    Facebook
    ALL My Books
    Carmine Rojas: Dog Fight is---'An explosive mix of gangsters, guns, monsters, magic and mayhem, with dark and gritty action that right-hooks you from page one. Wonderful!' --- Suzanne McLeod, author of the Spellcrackers urban fantasy series.

Evil, undead Chihuahua SuperModerator Haggis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CheG View Post
    Well, if this goes again next year I would like a little more for warning! I can't do 20k in a month! So a deadline 2-3 months from the start would be great
    Well, this was originally announced on 2/28 with a two month deadline. The deadline was then extended a month. Best advice I can give is to check in frequently. Then you won't miss all the good stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlz View Post
    For those of you that don't know what "haggis" is, I can only say that it's much better not knowing anyway
    Stewie the Chihuey
    featuring the lovely and talented

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Well, this was originally announced on 2/28 with a two month deadline. The deadline was then extended a month. Best advice I can give is to check in frequently. Then you won't miss all the good stuff.
    Or stalk the chihuey mercilessly. Either way works.

Evil, undead Chihuahua SuperModerator Haggis's Avatar
    Feeding me severed hands works too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlz View Post
    For those of you that don't know what "haggis" is, I can only say that it's much better not knowing anyway
    Stewie the Chihuey
    featuring the lovely and talented

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowflame View Post
    Why be anxious?

All of us have done a great job writing this past month, at least 15,000 words even if we had to slash quite a few. We will all get feedback on our stories. That is a great prize, in my opinion, and we all win.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the judges have to say.
    I'm with you. My post was a left handed congratulations to Sheila on becoming published.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Feeding me severed hands works too.
    I always keep a good supply...on hand. Get it? Hand? Haha, I kill me.

*runs away from boos and hisses*

I'm with you. My post was a left handed congratulations to Sheila on becoming published.
    ohhhh... (duha)
    So where is the published story at?

(I have one coming out next month )

BLOG

Confessions of a Publishing Minion with beta readers - still needs at least another 15K words

ohhhh... (duha)

THIS JUST IN: Published people are disqualified. Also anyone with a username that doesn't start with the letter 'b' or 'n'.

Blunt - Wouldn't that limit the entrants to me, you and NF? I'm not sure you really want that sort of stiff competition.

Just kidding -- sneaking on at camp to check in on you all, and I couldn't resist dropping in to tease.
    WIPs:
    Solo Play - writing

I've been told I have that effect on men.

Sheila

Congrats!!!!!

ohhhh... (duha)

My story ("There's Something About Carol") is in Splatter: An Anthology of Horror, by Sourlane Press; it's on Amazon.

Sheila

Tsk. Tsk. Tsk.

THIS JUST IN: Published people are disqualified. Also anyone with a username that doesn't start with the letter 'b' or 'n'.

No changing the rules in mid-judging.

Sheila

Quote Originally Posted by sheilas_world View Post
    My story ("There's Something About Carol") is in Splatter: An Anthology of Horror, by Sourlane Press; it's on Amazon.
    I'll have to put it on my wish list for now. (can't spend anymore money until next month. )

But Congrats!

BLOG

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213141516 LastLast