The 2011 Horror Hounds Celebration and Contest Guidelines

Status
Not open for further replies.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, but you're being self-depreciating, so I figured, hey, it's a contest -- I can be even MORE self-depreciating!

Also, wild imagination tends to mean "easily distracted."

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
You have to really think about that, though. How many people bother with novellas at all? The most common story lengths are short story and novel length. Writers tend to think just in those length sets. I'm sure many people tried and just couldn't make it work in the time I gave them. Novellas aren't easy for all writers - and really, if they come too easy then there's an issue with the writing. If you're practiced in writing novels or shorties, then writing something in between is actually more difficult than it sounds because the writerly part of the brain doesn't work that way.

But I think the time for novellas is coming. Especially with the ebook market. Which is exactly why i made this year's wc length what I did. 9 is more than what I expected, actually. I expected perhaps 6-7 entries.

I secretly think 15-30 is the upper bounds of the short story range, 40-60 is novella, and 90-120 is novel length.

I know that's not actually true, mind. I suspect too much modern horror novels as a child. King and Koontz and so on. Their books are like bricks.

night-flyer

roasting cows
Registered
Reaction score
Very true, Effie. I had a very difficult time with the length. I'm more of a novel person. Once I get rollin' I can't stop myself. I really didn't think I was going to make it. If not for some very helpful people here, I would've never had gotten it in. Over two thousand words had to be cut in order to get it in the word limit, and that was done on the last day of the due date. Thanks to a friend with a :e2chain:

Last edited:

sheilas_world

digging in my word garden
Registered
Reaction score
Website
newsfromsheilasworld.blogspot.com
Novella length was tough for me, too. I was writing so lean, I only had about 9,000 words and had to go back and flesh it out, add some other POVs, etc. It was tough.

Of course, the minute I sent the email I thought of about a half-dozen things I could have expanded on. Oh, well.

By the way, Haggis is being modest. He deserves thanks for checking that my second send made it through, thereby saving my sanity. And yes, I have some. SOME.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Morning all. I thought there would be more than 9 entries. Like some of you I thought we would have 15 or so.

But definitely congrats to all of us who wrote. It was definitely an exercise in expansion. On each draft I wrote a little more and a little more so that it stretched to the word count.

And thank you Effie and Haggis for the opportunity.
And the judges. :D Thank you so much.

sthrnwriter

Snoopy Dance!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
9? I also thought that number would be higher.

This is the first time I've attempted a novella. I mostly write short stories. I thought I was going to have problems with the word count but managed to barely squeak by the 15K minimum. I doubt I'll win but happy to be apart of this.

Thank you Effie, Haggis and the judges. :)

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You have to really think about that, though. How many people bother with novellas at all? The most common story lengths are short story and novel length. Writers tend to think just in those length sets. I'm sure many people tried and just couldn't make it work in the time I gave them. Novellas aren't easy for all writers - and really, if they come too easy then there's an issue with the writing. If you're practiced in writing novels or shorties, then writing something in between is actually more difficult than it sounds because the writerly part of the brain doesn't work that way.

But I think the time for novellas is coming. Especially with the ebook market. Which is exactly why i made this year's wc length what I did. 9 is more than what I expected, actually. I expected perhaps 6-7 entries.

Thanks to you, Effie, and all involved. I've waited years for novellas to receive proper recognition. Its the format I hope I do best at because its how I wrote and what I read.

Angela

Named For a Song...
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I had been able to get mine finished and get it in, but it didn't work out this time. Good Luck to everyone who entered!

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
You have to really think about that, though. How many people bother with novellas at all? The most common story lengths are short story and novel length.

I found the length quite easy to write. I might have found a new niche. :)

Several of my stories wouldn't fit in shorts but were dragging to become novels. I'm going to try to rewrite them in the under 40k range and see what happens.

If I get nothing else out of this endeavor I've at least learned I can push out 20k words in a month when the incentive is right. Thanks for that Effie.

And best luck to second and third placers. :wag:

J/K Winning isn't as important to me as getting quality feed back or just having finished a project...or staying busy for a month. :D

But I hate waiting. :e2teeth:

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, speak for yourself, buddy! Everybody knows I've got this one in the bag. :thankyou: :Trophy: :e2woo:

So there. :e2tongue:

But seriously, anytime you can learn something about yourself or your craft, it's a good thing. :Clap:

Trust me. I'm suffering anxiety cuz you're a published author.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Trust me. I'm suffering anxiety cuz you're a published author.

Why be anxious?

All of us have done a great job writing this past month, at least 15,000 words even if we had to slash quite a few. We will all get feedback on our stories. That is a great prize, in my opinion, and we all win.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the judges have to say.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Well, if this goes again next year I would like a little more for warning! I can't do 20k in a month! So a deadline 2-3 months from the start would be great :)

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Well, if this goes again next year I would like a little more for warning! I can't do 20k in a month! So a deadline 2-3 months from the start would be great :)
Well, this was originally announced on 2/28 with a two month deadline. The deadline was then extended a month. Best advice I can give is to check in frequently. Then you won't miss all the good stuff. :)

Angie

Shaddup and lemme think.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tranquiligeek.com
Well, this was originally announced on 2/28 with a two month deadline. The deadline was then extended a month. Best advice I can give is to check in frequently. Then you won't miss all the good stuff. :)

Or stalk the chihuey mercilessly. Either way works. :D

bluntforcetrauma

Esquire
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Why be anxious?

All of us have done a great job writing this past month, at least 15,000 words even if we had to slash quite a few. We will all get feedback on our stories. That is a great prize, in my opinion, and we all win.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the judges have to say.

I'm with you. My post was a left handed congratulations to Sheila on becoming published.

BriMaresh

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Blunt - Wouldn't that limit the entrants to me, you and NF? I'm not sure you really want that sort of stiff competition.

Just kidding -- sneaking on at camp to check in on you all, and I couldn't resist dropping in to tease.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
My story ("There's Something About Carol") is in Splatter: An Anthology of Horror, by Sourlane Press; it's on Amazon.

I'll have to put it on my wish list for now. (can't spend anymore money until next month. :( )

But Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.