Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314151617181923 ... LastLast

Thread: The "Disaster In My Region" AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Fires, and Flooding)

Now, about those sparkles of mine.. AW Moderator SaraP's Avatar
    Lady Sparkles, SparklePony, The SparklePony of DOOOOOM, Sparkles, Sparkles McModderson, The Sparkler, Sparklegee, The Sparkling Portuguee... I think I see a pattern here. Oh, and Horny McPoarny.

We all smile in the same language

Life getting you down? Come get a pick-me-up.

Your friendly neighborhood Chat Op AW Moderator JMC2009's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mirandashell View Post
    Bloody hell!
    This and

Quote Originally Posted by SaraP View Post
    <table class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody> <tr title="Post 7237148" valign="top"><td class="alt1">
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
    <Shuemais|Busy> "She's a no-frills author who has a problem with authority. She writes what she wants and plays by her own rules. This summer ... she is ... 'J.M.C.: Doing it Her Way.'"
    <Shuemais|Busy> "Watch out, editors everywhere... You mess with her <edit>, and she'll edit you out!"

<zanzjan> JMC is made of awesome

*preens*

AbbielleRose: Everyone, do welcome our new queen,

QUEEN JMC!

SLCBoston: Um, who??

Have you chatted lately? Come join the fun! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/...d.php?t=178738

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble Mr Flibble's Avatar
    We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the mess?
    I'll fourthg (?) that bloody hell.

Quote Originally Posted by BigWords View Post
    Technically (and this is going to sound idiotic, but bear with me), the level of rain doesn't really matter - it is usable water which is the issue, not the water falling in the wrong place. It can rain up a storm, but if it doesn't land in the reservoirs and lakes which are used to supply water to residences and businesses the rain is not helpful to sustaining resources. It's more complicated than that, but it would bore everyone senseless...
    The trouble is, that when they built the reservoirs (in Victorian times) they though the North would be more populated because that's where all the industry was...

They were wrong.

Maybe if Scotland devolves, they can make money shipping us water. But for the moment, the hosepipe ban seems to have invoked the rain god in some sort of ironic magic. Flood warnings everywhere (the Environment Agency lists 132 alerts (possibles), plus 32 warnings - that is flooding expected, take action - the South West is looking like it could be particularly bad) and I can't remember what the sun looks like. I'm quite glad I live on a hill...

"Fade to Black is a dynamic and original introduction to a world and character that promise further exciting stories". British Fantasy Society

The series has grown in complexity since the beginning, reaches a profoundly moving conclusion that is both unexpected and entirely satisfying - Publisher's Weekly

Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by IdiotsRUs View Post
    Maybe if Scotland devolves, they can make money shipping us water. But for the moment, the hosepipe ban seems to have invoked the rain god in some sort of ironic magic.
    Oh gods, the devolution thing... That actually deserves to be on the "Disaster in my region" thread. I'm sure there is some optimism about it, but the negatives are going to be discovered VERY quickly when people see exactly what it entails. One more reason I want out of here...
    The blog, which may not be updated regularly enough. -- I'm linking to other AW blogs here. -- There's some nonsense here when I can be bothered.
    Don't hold your breath...

Quote Originally Posted by AbielleRose View Post
    Dude, I am not that flexible.
    Quote Originally Posted by aliwood View Post
    The SFF Review Educational Supplement is now open. I'll be listing books, podcasts, online courses and anything else that aims to help the SFF writer improve their skills, provided they're free. (the books, podcasts, online courses and anything else, not the writers)

The British Comics Database is growing. Or mutating. I'm not quite sure which, yet.

I was only joking! Honest! mirandashell's Avatar
    I just watched the local News.

Only in Britain could we have flood warnings and drought warnings in the same place......
    I wish I was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum. Cos how you can be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum?

Worst song played on ugliest guitar Libbie's Avatar
    I have managed to remain unaffected by the riots in downtown Seattle. Hooray!

riots? yikes. the very idea terrifies me. what kind of precautions do you take for riots? be safe.--s6

Riots? What about?
    I wish I was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum. Cos how you can be grumpy when the sun shines out your bum?

It's a doggy dog world benbradley's Avatar
    Were these the May Day occupiers? There was supposed to be something May 1st, everyone not go to work or something.
    Ello.
    NaNoWriMo 2014: Unknown.
    Tweets daily or so.

Ah. So that worked then! LOL!

Gaze upon my shih-tzu powers! Billtrumpet25's Avatar
    Hey all,

We have a brush fire (pretty decent size) 40 miles or so north west of where I live with south eastern winds. We also have a 2nd fire in Tonto National Forest. I hope everyone is doing all right, and I urge those in the area of the fire to (if they have not done so already) get some fire preparedness plans in place.

Stay safe, everyone.
    My WIP:

War of the Wizard (Book 1): undergoing editing

The Wizard's Curse (Book 2): 60% complete

"The Dark Ages: Life With a Bipolar (WIP-narrative nonfiction of my experiences with my bipolar dad, and how to deal with the bp dis.'s turbulence.

http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view...45&trk=tab_pro

https://twitter.com/BillFitzgibbons

How's things now, Bill?

How's things now, Bill?
    Both fires have gotten bigger. Thankfully, the fire closest to me is blowing away from civilization, but the winds changed again, so it's anyone's guess as to what will happen next.

Gladiator Fire: 1700 acres and growing
    Sunflower Fire: 3000 acres or so with 5-10% containment

Sufficed to say, there are fire departments from NYC out here...I'm not kidding. They say they're trying to pay us back for helping with 9/11.

Thank you for checking in. It might be worth trying to contact some of the other AZ members and see in they're in the path of the fire(s).

CORRECTION: Gladiator fire at 2,000 acres and one mile from homes. Full evacuation of area in place.
    Last edited by Billtrumpet25; 05-17-2012 at 04:23 AM.
    My WIP:

"The Dark Ages: Life With a Bipolar (WIP-narrative nonfiction of my experiences with my bipolar dad, and how to deal with the bp dis.'s turbulence.

the original blond bombshell MaryMumsy's Avatar
    We have a fair representation of AZ peeps here, but most seem to be in Phoenix metro or Tucson areas. I think PortableHal is in the White Mountains, GeorgieB says they are in Pine, and I seem to remember a Flagstaff. But I don't think any one is in immediate proximity to the current fires. By next week, who knows. I know we had a tense week last year with the Wallow Fire, wondering about my Dad's summer home.

MM
    When I'm good, I'm very good; but when I'm bad, I'm better.

That is Mae West, not me.

Quote Originally Posted by MaryMumsy View Post
    We have a fair representation of AZ peeps here, but most seem to be in Phoenix metro or Tucson areas. I think PortableHal is in the White Mountains, GeorgieB says they are in Pine, and I seem to remember a Flagstaff. But I don't think any one is in immediate proximity to the current fires. By next week, who knows. I know we had a tense week last year with the Wallow Fire, wondering about my Dad's summer home.

MM
    I do remember the Wallow fire from last year. Very sad. Thank you for the update. The fires have nearly tripled in size in the last few hours, the largest near Payson burning around 12,000+ acres. Glad to hear everyone is safe.
    My WIP:

I'm writing. Undistractable. mccardey's Avatar
    Oh, goodness. Wishing the best for everyone.

Bloody hell. They are big fires. Is it mostly uninhabited ground?

Bloody hell. They are big fires. Is it mostly uninhabited ground?
    Yes, but the Gladiator fire is less than a mile from Crown King. The firefighters are even thinking of retreating if it gets too close.
    My WIP:

Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Prayers sent for the safety of anyone in the path of the fires!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
    "The only freedom any of us ever has is the freedom to choose how we will not be free."

Praying for everyone evacuated from Colorado Springs, and everyone else in the wake of the fires in the Rocky Mountain states.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal
    "The only freedom any of us ever has is the freedom to choose how we will not be free."

Misbehaving and stuff Beachgirl's Avatar
    Checking in from flooded Northeast Florida. Tropical Storm Debby (Or "Downpour Debby", as we've named her here) has exited our coastline almost right over my house. This is being called a 100-year flood event. Sinkholes, roads completely gone, homes flooded, snakes everywhere, alligators in the streets, and floating mats of fire ants.

We've already used up the D name and it's not even July yet. It's gonna be a long hurricane season.

BookStrand Amazon Blog Twitter AW Library

WIP: Tangled (Shifter Sanctuary 3)

my sister went through a flood in texas. she has horror stories about the floating balls of fire ants but alligators on the loose? holy crap! --s6

Praying for flood victims too!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Ohio Storm - 6/29/2012

We had a very violent thunderstorm go through central Ohio last night with straight line winds clocked at over 80 mph. The rain when it came blew by in sheets. Before the storm even arrived, the power went out. We've just been restored after almost exactly 24 hours but there are others who are going to be out for days. And we've been experiencing a heat wave with temps into the mid 90's for the last several days. It's kind of rough in quite a few places in the midwest. Hope everyone is hanging in there. Puma
    "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."

I have grandkids and a great grand daughter in Columbus. They are getting a new roof on their apartment building. --s6

Page 13 of 29 FirstFirst ... 37891011121314151617181923 ... LastLast