Disaster In My Region: AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Floods)

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
We're about to get hit by one of the big storms. Probably going to head down to the basement soon, but just wanted to say prayers would be appreciated. Hoping this misses the populated areas.

JMC2009

Your friendly neighborhood Chat Op
Registered
Reaction score
Hope you're safe, Kaitie.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Storm just passed over. Giant hail and a ridiculous amount of wind and rain, but the tornado missed us. I keep hearing sirens, but I live right by a fire department and a hospital so that could be why. I'm hoping the tornado missed the city.

Hope you're safe, too, JMC. This is a scary night to be in tornado land.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thinking of you all - hope everything is ok.

JMC2009

Registered
Reaction score
All the bad stuff ended up missing me. Hope everyone else is ok!

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
97 tornadoes in kansas last night. at least three in stafford county, after dark. we had to go to the library basement twice. it was supposed to be prom night but the superintendent called it off because of the weather. there were a couple of tornadoes, hail and severe winds near macksville, the high school where i teach, and in belpre where the prom would have been. it was a good move although some thought he was over reacting. there is a tree across my street but it missed anne's car. anne and i did see a funnel cloud in the evening, forming in clouds north of town. since it was north we weren't in any danger. we were still fumbling around with the phone camera when it went back into the clouds. later lyons, a town in the county to the north- east, was hit. i think it was the same wall cloud.

wichita was hit on the east side of town. woodward oklahoma was also hit hard. 5 deaths there, none in kansas so far. some homes destroyed outside of our town. saw the red cross going somewhere, but people took this outbreak seriously. the shelter in st. john was packed. several travelers came in from highway fifty, one a high school track team from garden city. my heavy aluminum glider and lawn chairs were thrown off my porch. the slide to the playhouse is twisted but the windows are sound. need to go outside and pick up but it is still very windy. thank god and thank the weathermen who scared the h out of us this time. --s6

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, they're saying it hit here pretty bad, pretty much directly south of us. It's scary because a restaurant that we go to often is right on the corner of the damage path according to the news. Luckily it seems like it mostly didn't hit residential areas and the areas it did the people were prepared. So far no injuries reported here.

JMC2009

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, Shakey and and Kaitie. I knew where 6 is from, so I kept watching that part of the state and had a few moments where I was trying to find out more information on a cell that was way too close to her!

I'm glad you were able to stay out of the path, Kaitie.

LaurieD

aka Skwirrel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lauriedalzell.weebly.com
My daughter came home from school yesterday with news that her friend, who lives on a farm about 15 miles north northeast of us, had a tornado in one of their pastures Sunday morning.

Hubs came home from work with news of a different one hitting a small airport about 30 miles west of us, removing siding and part of the roof.

Here at the house, (we're in NE OK) we had a lot of rain and a lot of wind for about twenty minutes. Maybe a smattering of bitty hail. No damage of any kind - one 3 ft rose bush was mangled a bit but looks good as new with some staking.

Fame<Infamy

Registered
Reaction score
It's odd, but I remember as a child there were a lot of Tornadoes in the Houston area...now there are almost none ever.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
It's much slower and longer term, but how are people dealing with the drought in England?

I've been hearing about it for maybe a month now, and it sounds like it's grim and going to get grimmer.

Nah, we're all right. Ever since the govt announced a hosepipe ban, it hasn't stopped raining....

The thing you have to remember with our media is that if it's happening in the South East (London) it's happening everywhere. Even when it isn't.

JMC2009

Registered
Reaction score
St. Louis area folks ok? *pokes*

JMC2009

Registered
Reaction score
Me? Yeah, just some spring thunderboomers.

JMC2009

Registered
Reaction score
Oh no, Val! Was it extensive property damage?

JMC2009

Registered
Reaction score
Oh wow. :-( Sending good thoughts to them as they work through this.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
BTW, we now have officially the wettest drought on record....

Technically (and this is going to sound idiotic, but bear with me), the level of rain doesn't really matter - it is usable water which is the issue, not the water falling in the wrong place. It can rain up a storm, but if it doesn't land in the reservoirs and lakes which are used to supply water to residences and businesses the rain is not helpful to sustaining resources. It's more complicated than that, but it would bore everyone senseless...