Disaster In My Region: AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Floods)

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Shakeysix, and everyone else in the path of this ice storm, stay safe. It is handy to have an old pair of socks to put over your shoes if you must go out in the ice. The socks will give you some traction.

Good luck.
What a great idea.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shakey6wordsmith.webs.com
It started sprinkling in town, about an hour ago. I took the car out for a drive to the south. It was raining heavily just a mile or so from town. The outside temp dial in my car went from 32* to 29* in a few minutes. I did make it to the liquor store and back with a bottle of cheap wine. Now I am making bread. Meatloaf sandwiches and wine tonight. And most likely for tomorrow and Monday--Cheers! --s6

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Hope everyone experiencing the ice storm is staying safe and doing okay. We had a cataclysmic ice storm back in 2007 which knocked out the power to the house for over four days, despite the fact we lived in town. Luckily that house had a large fireplace capable of heating the whole house to a reasonable level so we were fine, but ever since moving into this new apartment without ANY form of heat that can be used without electricity, I've worried tremendously about what we'd do if that happened again. Thankfully this is my last winter here, as fiancé and I are moving out into our own travel trailer, which will have propane heat and even a generator so I can run the computers/devices and avoid death from boredom if the shore power goes out.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
This morning looks as bad as any ice storm I have ever seen. It is raining right now, on top of ice. My barometer is my tomcat, Liv. He is a big fat, orange ball of fur. He hates to come inside for any reason except meals. When the weather is very bad I make him stay inside. He bitches and moans at my bedroom door until morning. Not today. He stuck his nose out the door, looked at the solid ice porch glider, looked at me like I had caused the whole thing and jumped back inside.

Pretty sure we are going to lose electricity and heat, not sure for how long. Worse, I lost a filling in my tooth at breakfast. --s6

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for checking in Shakey, we'll be thinking of you. Stash some water if you can; fill the tub for instance for toilet use, and fill empty pitchers etc. for drinking water.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
My neighbor man and his sons showed up to see how I am doing. They put down salt on my front and back porch, trees breaking just across the street. "Ten cuidado! No pasan debajo los arboles!" Ruben shouted to his boys as they walked to my house." (Watch out! Don't walk under the trees!"

I am going to get political now --these are the evil Mexicans that Trump and his followers are so determined to drive from our country. They have never been anything but good neighbors, honest employees, decent citizens to the entire town. The kids excel at school, oldest daughter going to college now, thanks to Obama and the liberals--s6

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Holding a prayer for divine protection over you and your neighbors. (And having lived near a barrio in San Diego, I'll tell you, my experiences are similar.)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to hear everything is okay thus far, shakey.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We've got winds gusting at 87 m.p.h., which is bringing trees down willy-nilly, often on power lines. So far there's a travel advisory for the area, schools and businesses are closed or closing, the airport's closed, and about 40,000 homes are without power, with 5,000 to 10,000 more being added per hour. This wind is supposed to be with us for another seven hours, so if I disappear, know that I've got firewood, plenty of light sources, and a tall stack of books waiting to be read. I'm fine.

shakeysix

blue eyed floozy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Up to check the news and fire reports. my county, Stafford county is okay. the farm ground is in Barton county, also safe right now. my daughter and grand daughter live in Hutchinson, in Reno county. The biggest fire, one that made the national news, is under control now but things were scary there for a while. They live blocks from the evacuation line in Hutchinson. I talked with them last night. All was okay, but Hutchinson is a big city for this part of the state, 40,000 population. Scary to think of it being threatened. The little towns, isolated ranches and farms are usually the most endangered,

The big helicopters have been flying over. They are flying high, so not going to land here, but they make enough noise to be noticed. I am wondering if something is going on to the west or if they are just going home--s6.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Sending prayers for all in fire country. (Usually when I say that, it's California...)

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Currently thinking of people in Queensland and Texas.

We'll be thinking of you. Stay safe, and check in when you can.

noirdood

Registered
Reaction score
It's 90 degrees out here in the Mohave Desert and the wind is blowing trucks right off of the highways.

MAS

Registered
Reaction score
Good luck and stay safe, cmhbob. The same storm is working its way to the Ohio valley (the thunder just became audible in the distance within the last 10 minutes or so) but we're only expecting 1-3". I can't imagine a foot of rain.

possiblerobot

Your friendly neighborhood robot
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sitting in my basement now, because I'm right in the path of a massive group of storms, with the possibility of a tornado. My town had sirens and everything to tell everyone to get to shelter. Yaaaaay.