Disaster In My Region: AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Floods)

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Was supposed to start raining at 8pm in my little rural town north of Atlanta. Dry as a bone right now at 12:11 am. TS supposed to hit at 8 am. Squalls predicted at 2 and 3 pm. Oh, boy.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Did everyone make it through okay? Cornflake, I haven't heard anything about the cats, have you?

We did well. So grateful. I know others weren't as fortunate. Thanks for all the love, all. :Hug2:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Glad to know you came out of it okay. Welcome back!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Did everyone make it through okay? Cornflake, I haven't heard anything about the cats, have you?

We did well. So grateful. I know others weren't as fortunate. Thanks for all the love, all. :Hug2:

All safe! All toes accounted for!

They posted a picture of one of the kitties taking kitty roll call, quite studiously, with a proper list. They said some downed trees on the property but they're all fine, and so is the house.

Glad you are too!

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I've got some friends who actually rode the storm out at Disney. They'd planned a vacation, considered cancelling, but then went ahead with it. Disney has a Disaster Crew that volunteers to stay behind and help guests. Richard said at one point there was a curfew where no one was supposed to be out of their rooms, during the height of the storm, but that they only went 24 hours without a hot meal.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all! We're still in cleanup mode but we're in great shape. Fences can be fixed, trees can be replanted. We're safe and we have coffee, and what else could anyone want?!

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.princessofpirates.wordpress.com
I'm currently in Tortola, BVI. I posted a video on Twitter, link below. We have no power, no running water, and the entire island feels like a war zone. My back door blew off, but I'm luckier than most. I've driven through entire neighborhoods where no one has a roof. Broken, twisted metal and denuded trees. Oddly enough, I was supposed to start work this week, and I'm waiting to find out whether I'll still have a job. Our office has a generator, but I'm hoping I'll be asked to work remotely for a while. Not sure I can live like this for long.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Your video is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Clairels, I'm so sorry to hear how hard it is--and how much harder it must be for your neighbors.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Glad you're alive to post this, Claire. May you and your neighbors have what you need to overcome the challenges you face.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. The video actually looks worse than it is; I managed to put most things back together with some effort. I'm committed to staying and helping rebuild, if my job needs me, anyway. Despite the negative news, particularly in the British press, the people here are really, really resilient. I'm going to be writing an article about my experience soon, which I'll link to. And a few bars have already opened, which always helps lift spirits. :D

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the good wishes, everyone. The video actually looks worse than it is; I managed to put most things back together with some effort. I'm committed to staying and helping rebuild, if my job needs me, anyway. Despite the negative news, particularly in the British press, the people here are really, really resilient. I'm going to be writing an article about my experience soon, which I'll link to. And a few bars have already opened, which always helps lift spirits. :D

Thanks so much for checking in. We'll keep you in our thoughts.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Clairels, thank you for letting us know how things are going for you. How long before you will know about your job? Sending good thoughts your way.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Sending prayers for all people effected by Maria and the Mexican earthquakes.

Please check in when you're able.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Vicent

Registered
Reaction score
Still having Mariano Rajoy as president counts as a disaster, doesn't it?

Clairels

Born at sea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi all! BVI continues to come back strong, despite having completely been bumped from the news cycle in favour of the further devastation in Puerto Rico. We're still without power and water and will be for months to come; the island is still trashed (but looks worlds better than it did). Happily, many businesses are up and running on generators; food and other essentials are plentiful. Ironically, many of those who fled to Puerto Rico immediately after the storm ended up getting stuck there after Maria hit-and are now desperately trying to get back here!

My boss is still figuring out whether he'll need me long term, but I've taken some temporary freelance work at the local newspaper, the BVI Beacon, who were grateful for the help. I also have a firsthand narrative of my experience up at travel site Oyster, complete with photos.

For anyone interested in making a donation, I'm recommending Team Rubicon--who got here immediately and are tirelessly doing EVERYTHING--mucking out elementary schools and fire stations, moving residents from nursing homes, just all the hard work that needs to be done. I wasn't familiar with them before this, but I am so, so impressed.

I'll continue to post updates as things progress. Thanks so much for the good wishes.

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fuck, not again.

My son was at a conference at Mandalay Bay Hotel Las Vegas just last week. There's been a mass shooting, hundreds of rounds into a crowd at an open air concert.

It's so senseless.

:cry:

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Fuck, not again.

My son was at a conference at Mandalay Bay Hotel Las Vegas just last week. There's been a mass shooting, hundreds of rounds into a crowd at an open air concert.

It's so senseless.

:cry:

I just saw this on the news. Shit.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
I just saw it, too. "Worst mass shooting in modern US history with 50 dead and 200 wounded". What. The. HELL?? Sickens me.

mrsmig

Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hoping our AW members in Vegas are safe and will check in. I have a lot of actors friends out there and I'm worried sick.