Disaster In My Region: AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Floods)

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
I have access to someone at an LV hospital who has indicated a willingness to check names. PM me please, and only if it's a direct family member. I don't want to inundate this guy.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Tragedy in California, more than a thousand homes and ten lives (so far) lost to a devastating fast moving fire in Santa Rosa and a dozen fires elsewhere in the state.

Northern California fires kill 10, destroy 1,500 homes and businesses
"We live in the valley, where it's concrete and strip malls and hotels and supermarkets," Okrepkie said. "The last thing you think is a forest fire is going to come and wipe us out."
It's so hard to believe these fires can race through suburbs like this but they do time and time again.

Hope these folks can recover quickly and no more people or pets are killed.

My brother and his family are near the Anaheim Hills fire but so far everyone is OK. Lots of smoke.

http://beta.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-anaheim-hills-fire-20171009-story.html

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Sending prayers.

Hope all our AWers (and everyone else) got/get out in time. Please check in when you're able.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

If you're in the path of the current fires in the LA area, please get out quickly. Once you're safe, please let us know.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not quite disaster level but it's very windy here and there was a loud crash a few minutes ago. The only thing I can see with my flashlight is that the big fir in my front yard has a huge branch that is closer to my roof than it used to be. But it's not broken that I can see so it must be a branch higher up that is broken and lying on it. I won't be able to see what happened until daylight.

But the roof is OK, I'm OK, and the power is still on.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maeze - should you call emergency services or your equivalent? In case there are power lines or something structural being threatened?

ETA: Glad you're okay. :Hug2:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Maeze - should you call emergency services or your equivalent? In case there are power lines or something structural being threatened?

ETA: Glad you're okay. :Hug2:

Nothing to call about until I can see what happened in the morning. My power's OK and I didn't see anything on the power lines up and down the street. It's not uncommon for trees to come down in the park my house backs to but this sounded like it hit the roof, except apparently it didn't.

Thanks for your hugs. :D

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I hope you're safe, MaeZe. Let us know what happened when you can.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm safe, just small branches down and the branch that was weighing down the branch I could see was blown the rest of the way off by the wind. It wasn't that big and it's cut up in the yard waste now. It's amazing how different things look in the dark with a flashlight. :eek:

Sorry for the false alarm.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It wasn't a false alarm, it was a storm and there was real damage. I'm glad you're safe and well now.

The zombies made me

Registered
Reaction score
That was awful but thank God that's all you were talking about! I'd gotten scared something new had happened! Sorry I'm responding so late! Things got a little dramatic here...

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
Western Oklahoma is on fire, folks. Whole towns are being evacuated. Horses, cattle, other animals are being trapped by the fast-moving flames... some being shot to spare them a worse fate. If you can spare a moment, offer up a prayer to your god(s) for the wind to die down. It's at 20-30 mph sustained with gusts at 40-50, 9% humidity, all over land that's been in severe drought for the last several months. Ol' Boy and I are safe in the center part of the state... do we have any western Oklahoma folks on AW?

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have distant relatives in Cimarron County. That county was at the epicenter of the dust bowl, and the gods of weather should spare them anything else.

MM

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
We have quite a few members in Hawaii. Please leave if you're in the area of danger.

After authorities had warned for several days of an impending eruption, Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano delivered on Thursday: White clouds of steam and volcanic gases rose high in the sky above the southeastern part of the Big Island.

A river of destructive lava flowing underground was released around 4:30 p.m. local time into a residential subdivision, prompting people in the area to pack their belongings and abandon their homes, witnesses told The Washington Post. Shortly after 5 p.m., “spatter began erupting,” according to the U.S. Geological Survey.