Disaster In My Region: AW Check In Thread (Tornadoes, Floods)

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I'll fourthg (?) that bloody hell.

Technically (and this is going to sound idiotic, but bear with me), the level of rain doesn't really matter - it is usable water which is the issue, not the water falling in the wrong place. It can rain up a storm, but if it doesn't land in the reservoirs and lakes which are used to supply water to residences and businesses the rain is not helpful to sustaining resources. It's more complicated than that, but it would bore everyone senseless...

The trouble is, that when they built the reservoirs (in Victorian times) they though the North would be more populated because that's where all the industry was...

They were wrong.

Maybe if Scotland devolves, they can make money shipping us water. But for the moment, the hosepipe ban seems to have invoked the rain god in some sort of ironic magic. Flood warnings everywhere (the Environment Agency lists 132 alerts (possibles), plus 32 warnings - that is flooding expected, take action - the South West is looking like it could be particularly bad) and I can't remember what the sun looks like. I'm quite glad I live on a hill...

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe if Scotland devolves, they can make money shipping us water. But for the moment, the hosepipe ban seems to have invoked the rain god in some sort of ironic magic.

Oh gods, the devolution thing... That actually deserves to be on the "Disaster in my region" thread. I'm sure there is some optimism about it, but the negatives are going to be discovered VERY quickly when people see exactly what it entails. One more reason I want out of here...

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I just watched the local News.

Only in Britain could we have flood warnings and drought warnings in the same place......

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Were these the May Day occupiers? There was supposed to be something May 1st, everyone not go to work or something.

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
Hey all,

We have a brush fire (pretty decent size) 40 miles or so north west of where I live with south eastern winds. We also have a 2nd fire in Tonto National Forest. I hope everyone is doing all right, and I urge those in the area of the fire to (if they have not done so already) get some fire preparedness plans in place.

Stay safe, everyone.

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
How's things now, Bill?

Both fires have gotten bigger. Thankfully, the fire closest to me is blowing away from civilization, but the winds changed again, so it's anyone's guess as to what will happen next.

Gladiator Fire: 1700 acres and growing
Sunflower Fire: 3000 acres or so with 5-10% containment

Sufficed to say, there are fire departments from NYC out here...I'm not kidding. They say they're trying to pay us back for helping with 9/11.

Thank you for checking in. It might be worth trying to contact some of the other AZ members and see in they're in the path of the fire(s). :)

CORRECTION: Gladiator fire at 2,000 acres and one mile from homes. Full evacuation of area in place.

Last edited:

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We have a fair representation of AZ peeps here, but most seem to be in Phoenix metro or Tucson areas. I think PortableHal is in the White Mountains, GeorgieB says they are in Pine, and I seem to remember a Flagstaff. But I don't think any one is in immediate proximity to the current fires. By next week, who knows. I know we had a tense week last year with the Wallow Fire, wondering about my Dad's summer home.

MM

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
We have a fair representation of AZ peeps here, but most seem to be in Phoenix metro or Tucson areas. I think PortableHal is in the White Mountains, GeorgieB says they are in Pine, and I seem to remember a Flagstaff. But I don't think any one is in immediate proximity to the current fires. By next week, who knows. I know we had a tense week last year with the Wallow Fire, wondering about my Dad's summer home.

MM

I do remember the Wallow fire from last year. Very sad. Thank you for the update. The fires have nearly tripled in size in the last few hours, the largest near Payson burning around 12,000+ acres. Glad to hear everyone is safe. :)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, goodness. Wishing the best for everyone.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Praying for everyone evacuated from Colorado Springs, and everyone else in the wake of the fires in the Rocky Mountain states.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
Checking in from flooded Northeast Florida. Tropical Storm Debby (Or "Downpour Debby", as we've named her here) has exited our coastline almost right over my house. This is being called a 100-year flood event. Sinkholes, roads completely gone, homes flooded, snakes everywhere, alligators in the streets, and floating mats of fire ants.

We've already used up the D name and it's not even July yet. It's gonna be a long hurricane season.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Ohio Storm - 6/29/2012

We had a very violent thunderstorm go through central Ohio last night with straight line winds clocked at over 80 mph. The rain when it came blew by in sheets. Before the storm even arrived, the power went out. We've just been restored after almost exactly 24 hours but there are others who are going to be out for days. And we've been experiencing a heat wave with temps into the mid 90's for the last several days. It's kind of rough in quite a few places in the midwest. Hope everyone is hanging in there. Puma