• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

How Real Publishing Works

Lydia Manx

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry late in adding information to this thread but here goes.

B&N (college bookstores-worked in management 5 years) have a department manager who order books. They are allowed a certain dollar amount per quarter. They go to trade shows B&N sponsors and other markets. My non-textbook trade manager came to the store with a strong New York publishing background and kept up on the various lists and awards. He was able to face out any books he wanted. He had a section devoted to non-text books for the college campus professors. Monthly there is a theme suggested on one end cap but the rest was whatever he was currently intrested in reading or suggesting. Some of the professors came in and told him about their books and he would take care to order them even from non-traditional vendors (some were self published or small markets). At no time was he paid to put out something specific.

I don't know about the B&N regular bookstores just the college environment.

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
Editors and secret societies

I see a total lack of editor/publisher information. Is it taboo to lend another author your publisher's pertinent info - Address/Name/get it under their noses info? I am starting to feel that writing is "invitation only".

LloydBrown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lloydwrites.com
Delarege said:
I see a total lack of editor/publisher information. Is it taboo to lend another author your publisher's pertinent info - Address/Name/get it under their noses info? I am starting to feel that writing is "invitation only".

Did they stop publishing Writer's Market? ::checks website:: No, it's still there. No secret information.

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
clearification

Sorry for not being more understandable.

I was speaking of human names. I never see the names of the people in the offices.

Is it bad form to offer a contact within a publishing company? I suppose any public mention would run the guy over with submissions.

They must think of writers the way a snall thinks of seagulls.

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
Delarege said:
They must think of writers the way a [snail] thinks of seagulls.
Well, no. The first myth any newbie writer needs to unlearn is the one that posits Editors and Writers as Dire Enemies. Editors are not afraid that writers will eat them.

As for actual human names, those generally are available. Otherwise why would we constantly be given the advice to address editors by their names?

Caro

Registered
Reaction score
NicoleJLeBoeuf said:
Well, no. The first myth any newbie writer needs to unlearn is the one that posits Editors and Writers as Dire Enemies. Editors are not afraid that writers will eat them.

As Anne Stuart once said, "Editors are not the enemy. (Pause) Marketing is." There was enthusiastic applause from the editors present at the speech.

As for actual human names, those generally are available. Otherwise why would we constantly be given the advice to address editors by their names?

Absolutely. It takes a little digging, but you can find them. http://www.publishersmarketplace.com is an excellent resource for finding editor names for specific types of books.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
The names are constantly changing.

Some publishers put the editors' names on the copyright page. Other times you can find the editor mentioned in the dedication or a note from the author if you want to find out who edited a particular book. You'll find threads here talking about particular editors.

Unless a particular editor asked to see your manuscript oftentimes addressing a manuscript to that editor isn't more effective/efficient than addressing that manuscript to the publishing house.

Agents know all the editors by name; agents are listed by name many places.

If you tell us what we're after we might be able to be more helpful.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Following up with what Uncle Jim posted above, you can always call a publisher and ask for the name of the editor you should submit to. That won't necessarily make it get read any faster, but as Jim said, the names are always changing.

If your 2007 Writer's Market lists a certain editor's name under the publisher's listing, that editor might be gone by the time you submit.

If you're feeling extra adventurous, you can call the publisher and ask for the name of the editor who edited the particular book yours is similar to. Or even the editorial assistant. They'll tell you, if you ask.

Just don't ask to speak directly with the editor.

allen

RayHa2

To branch out a little, agents, like editors, can resent being bugged. I lost a script writing agent because I called or sent a polite query every month or two. He wanted to do his thing and report when something happened.

Extra marketing: During the time I was teaching speech, grammar, and writing in workshops and seminars, I twice persuaded publishers to print extra book jackets and ship them to me. I then included the dustcovers in my publicity packets. You can also do an overprint on the blank back side of the book jacket.

Pitch Grinch

Registered
Reaction score
Pitch Grinch

The myth that major publishers don't promote their books is just that -- a myth.

It isn't a myth altogether. The trend is continuing and getting worse esp for first time authors. Just go to NYC and talk to authors and editors from commercial houses. Most of the promo $$$ is going to non-f and established people.

They can't earn out and they tank.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
If you're talking about the extras of book promotion and marketing--book tours, special bookstore displays, full-page advertising and the like--yes, most authors don't get that. This has pretty much always been true.

If you're talking about the nuts and bolts of book promotion and marketing--catalogs, sales forces, review coverage, reliable distribution--pretty much all authors get that. With commercial publishers, that is.

With non-commercial or vanity pubishers, authors don't get either one.

- Victoria

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
My urban fantasy is due to be out this November from Ace. They're in the process of printing up some "samplers" (sort of a one chapter tease with the cover art) to hand out at cons.

They also are trying to line up blurbs from established authors in my genre.

Sounds like book promotion to me.

Jaws

Apex Predator
Registered
Reaction score
Loitering just offshore on the Silicon Prairie
Website
scrivenerserror.blogspot.com
Pitch Grinch reveals yet more ignorance of the publishing industry:
It isn't a myth altogether. The trend is continuing and getting worse esp for first time authors. Just go to NYC and talk to authors and editors from commercial houses. Most of the promo $$$ is going to non-f and established people.
And exactly how is this different from the way the publishing industry has operated since the late 1930s? Answer: It's not. I've got privately-obtained numbers to back that up. But you don't have to believe me; Al Greco's various published works will lead you to the same conclusion.

The only difference is that now a greater proportion of midlist-and-below authors are aware of the problem, making them think it's somehow shiny and new.

Claudia Gray

Registered
Reaction score
Today I am filling out a questionnaire from my publishers' marketing department, which is supposed to help them structure the publicity campaign for Evernight. So I think they're going to market it, or else this is a very sophisticated way of messing with my head. ;)

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
PG, yesterday I got a copy of one of my ARCs. If you feel so inclined you can visit my blog and click on the back cover copy where my publisher makes their intentions very clear publicity wise. And I am a serious newbie.

I'm not saying that authors don't have to work at their own marketing, but I mean . . . if I'm not a good enough example check out a one Pat Wood at www.pkwood.blogspot.com for a first time author's publicity experience.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
They can't earn out and they tank.

Please note that "didn't earn out" and "tanked" are two different things.

Publishers can make a profit on books that never earn out. Publishers generally set their advances so that the advance is approximately equal to the expected royalties: Not earning out is the expected outcome.

scriptor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Thanks Jenna. Even though I am seemingly swimming in the letters of rejections and will probably never see publication, the info was very interesting and helps me make sense of alot of it.

kullervo

minion
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.loreleiarmstrong.com
FWIW, I have a novel coming out with a small, new publisher this fall. Here is their official schedule of all the steps involved in the release of my novel:

Picking up at the beginning of 2008 (this book was contracted in June, 2007)
1-18 Submit database load information and cover (jpeg) to distribution
1-20 Initiate copyedit
3-1 Receive copyedit ms from copyeditor
3-1 – 3-10 Author & editor review copyedit
3-1 Send copyedit info to Author
4-15 Receive final edits from Author
4-16 Send ms to typesetter
5-1 Receive ms from typesetter (get page count)
5-1 Send order to printer
5-15 Pre-order appears (perhaps) on Amazon, B&N, etc.
5-15 Receive blurbs from author’s readers; Iota blurbers
5-15 Receive jacket graphic spec from printer to cover artist
6-15 Receive final jacket art, send to printer
6-15 Initiate local print of galleys
6-15 Update typeset manuscript with title graphics (to printer)
6-30 Receive galleys
6-30 Update website with book cover
6-30 Printer returns proof
7-1 Send 1st set of Galleys
7-1 Begin schedule of book tour, interview, and other PR plans
7-1 Contract placement of ads
7-15 Return corrections/proof to printer
7-15 Print run begins
8-1 Send second set of galleys to reviewers
8-30 Books off press
9-1 Launch final publicity campaign
9-1 Setup Amazon Look Inside
9-1 Setup eBook files
9-1 Ship books to distribution
9-1 Kickoff local publicity
10-1 Initiate book tour and other final publicity
10-1 Publication Date

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
If your pub date is October 1, you might want to ask them to send out the galleys to reviewers a couple of months earlier--say, in June or July. Review publications like PW and Booklist want to receive material at least three months in advance of the pub date.

- Victoria