• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

How Real Publishing Works

egem

Cathy C it goes a long way in putting light on how books are sold. Thank you for giving such detail in your response. I do have a couple of questions. Do bookstores usual show the numbers to publishers that sell from their best spots?

How does this compare to online booksellers like amazon? It would seem that the books in the best spots make up the most of sales then? Thanks for addressing it, you did a nice job. I really wasn't asking from a PA or POD point of view. It does speak to that question, but that wasn't why I was asking. I really wanted to know how traditional publishers sold their books.

Also, was TOR the publisher that was running the Paranormal Romance contest? If so did they get a winner yet? Just wondering I write what you might call Paranormal Poetry (magical realism), hehe.

Last edited:

Canada James

Take off!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesmccann.info
Face-Out - the publisher is paying to place the books in the shelves so that the entire cover shows, rather than just the spine. Of course, since the store could shelve four paperback spines in the space that one cover takes, this is also a high dollar placement.

I must admit that I've yet to either work in or hear about a bookstore that charges for face outs. Face outs generally occur because a bookstore has A) bought enough copies top make a face out, and b) there is shelf space available to do so. I'd cringe at the thought that I'd be breaking a contract because my shelves had too many books to face out all the books that publishers were willing to pay to have faced out.

As an author I've also never walked into a bookstore and been told that my book couldn't be faced out unless my publisher was willing to pay for such an honour.

Now, what happens if the books with specially purchased privilege DON'T sell? The books are still returned or destroyed, but in the contract with the publisher for next year, the bookstore issues a credit for the number of books that didn't sell in that position. Again, a complicated procedure, because the bookseller had a certain DUTY to sell the books in that location based on historical sales in previous years. So, the publisher had a right to expect the title to sell.

Any bookstore with that in their contract needs a new person negotiating their co-op.

They can't replace any of their periodical space (for the same reason), so they're left with about one and a half shelves in each genre where the MANAGER has the option of what to purchase from small press/e-press/self-pub.

That space generally still goes to the majors, it just doesn't go to the few titles the majors have chosen for co-op advertising. After all, co-op advertising isn't just designed to sell that one book. It's designed to bring people into the store to think, "Hey. While I'm in here, why don't I see what else is out there."
Canada James

Last edited:

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
egem said:
Aconite, have you published? I'm not being smart, but I'm wonding if you have first hand experience. You can send me something as a PM if you like, I'll ask more question then. I will not post anything you send me.
I have not "published," which would mean that I have been the publisher of something; I've been published as an author by publishers who paid me. So yes, I've had first-hand experience. And no, I'm not going to give you titles or my name, given your proud declaration on another thread that--despite your frequently avowed lack of association with PA--you're proto-stalking NEPAT posters.

mreddin

Dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
Canada James said:
I must admit that I've yet to either work in or hear about a bookstore that charges for face outs. Face outs generally occur because a bookstore has A) bought enough copies top make a face out, and b) there is shelf space available to do so. I'd cringe at the thought that I'd be breaking a contract because my shelves had too many books to face out all the books that publishers were willing to pay to have faced out.

As an author I've also never walked into a bookstore and been told that my book couldn't be faced out unless my publisher was willing to pay for such an honour.

I've looked over co-op advertising deals through the ABA handbook and don't recall seeing anything about faceouts. However, that may be a special arrangement that is more unique to the chain stores. I think your average local independent may display a number of books based on staff preferences and the number of titles in stock compared to available floor space. You really do lose a great deal of capacity when you display books in this manner. It's easier for publishers to negotiate with an entire chain for a particular display deal, than it is to contact thousands of small independents.

Mike

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I will tell ya that with small press, when you submit your book and marketing plan, they want to see ads listed on it - online ads, yes, but they really want print ads. Which I think is ridiculous - I don't think I've ever bought a book based on a print ad.

But apparently that's what the chain stores want. I guess they think print ads will drive people to the store to buy the book. Personally, I think reviews are the cheapest marketing going.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Cathy C said:
. But most of the marketing in print and such have been out of my pocket. I think it's worth it, but it's not cheap. Other authors prefer not to pay to market and that's their choice. But I also send out lots of review copies (on my dime), I make half-sheet flyers with the blurb on the front and an excerpt of the book on the back and mail them out to independent booksellers. Several companies prepare lists, BTW. Overseas bookstores are also great targets for promo materials.

Good Lord. No offense, Cathy, but this section of your post could have been taken straight from the PAMB.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Christine N. said:
when you submit your book and marketing plan
Christine, if you don't mind answering, which publisher requires a marketing plan and doesn't send out review copies?

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
The purpose of print ads in general-circulation magazines/newspapers (and radio and TV spots, too) is to tell the readers: "You know that book you were going to buy the minute it came out? It's out!"

Unless you have a book that a significant number of people are going to buy the minute it comes out (you're famous, or it's the latest installment of a poplular and long-running series), it's a waste of time and money.

Harlequin runs ads for their books -- but it's mostly ads for their imprints and their monthly lists, not for the books themselves. A few other places -- NYTBR (which verges on being a trade pub itself) -- might make sense for some books, but look at which ones they are.

Last edited:

mreddin

Dreamer
Registered
Reaction score
SC Harrison said:
Good Lord. No offense, Cathy, but this section of your post could have been taken straight from the PAMB.

There are a couple key differences though SC. Cathy's publisher actually got her book into real bookstores on their own. Cathy's supplemental marketing is undertaken on her own accord, in an effort to achieve greater market penetration. We both know that without proper distribution and bookstore placement, any of Cathy's efforts would prove fruitless. The only real question is whether Cathy's marketing dollars are proving efficient. We know that with companies like PA, marketing efficiency necessarily must be approaching 0% because there is no distribution chain, catalog, sales force or bookstore presence. These are the benefits of bonafide publisher.

Mike

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
mreddin said:
We know that with companies like PA, marketing efficiency necessarily must be approaching 0% because there is no distribution chain, catalog, sales force or bookstore presence. These are the benefits of bonafide publisher.

Mike

I know that, and you know that, but the folks at PA think they are in the same category as Cathy. When they see authors who are genuinely published doing self-promotion things, especially things that cost the author money, it reinforces their idea that heavy concentration on promotion is the author's responsibility industry-wide.

Before you say it, of course it doesn't make sense, and it's like comparing apples and oranges, but the folks on NEPAT have expended a great deal of effort trying to convince PA authors that this self-promotion thing wouldn't be necessary with a real publisher, and that money should always flow to the author, not away.

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
I'm not disparaging Cathy in the least when I say this, but for my third book I have not spent or physically created anything for promotion.

Oh, I did for the first two books when they came out, mostly homemade bookmarks which I gave to bookstores. The only thing that cost me was ink for my printer. I already had stiff paper.

But for book three, all I'm doing are booksignings and talks. (I have a powerpoint presentation illustrating books 3 and 1.) I had a brief blurb in Friday's paper about Saturday's signing--showed the book cover and a nice description of the book. The signing went well, too. (I even met Maestro in person!)

I have a radio interview on a local public station on Tuesday. They called the publisher because one of the station's hosts bought my book on his own and loved it. They weren't even on my media list.

Otherwise, my publisher has been sending review copies and press kits to all the media I listed, and has been following up on them as well. It's up to the individual members of the media if they decide to run stories about my book. I hope they do, but nothing is ever guaranteed.

One of the salespeople at the publisher told me that sales have been very strong since the new one's December release. He told me a number that even surprised him.

That's another good example of something a real publisher does. Anytime I want, I can call the sales guy and he'll tell me current sales figures for all three books. I don't do this very often, but he's always happy to tell me.

Book 1, a regional history title released May, 2003, has sold over 5,000 copies.

allen

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
There's so little an author can do (other than write a good book, then write another). I really do think that the biggest effect of most author promotion is to give the author something to do to keep from fretting about things he has no control over.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
I send out review copies to venues my publisher considers too small to bother with but which have a sizeable viewership--some of the specialty SF/fantasy websites, for instance. (One of the things that makes this unlike what PA authors do is that my publisher gives me a large supply of ARCs for free.) I also approach SF/fantasy ezines and radio shows for interviews. I do contests and giveaways on my website, and I attend some SF/fantasy conventions.

I don't bother with book signings anymore--for one thing, I hate them, and for another, unless you do them quite intensively they really don't generate much in the way of extra sales. (This is another difference from what PA authors have to do--for a POD-pubbed author the sale of 30 books at a signing is cause for jubilation, but for a commercially-published author it's a drop in the bucket.)

A few books ago, I sent flyers to indie bookstores, but with every POD publisher and phony book marketing service in the universe sending out flyers and press releases these days, I think this method of self-promotion is probably no longer at all effective.

Another thing to point out: Special publicity, such as the print ads that Cathy describes, often only happens after a book starts selling well. At that point, the publisher feels that the ad money is a better investment. So if you see a print ad for a single book--as opposed to the multiple-book ads that publishers routinely do to alert readers to newly-released books--it means that the author is already successful (or, sometimes, that the marketing folks have decided on a special publicity push).

- Victoria

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
mreddin said:
The only real question is whether Cathy's marketing dollars are proving efficient.
Mike

It's a good bet Cathy can get better feedback on sales per time frame/geographic location to help her determine what works and what doesn't, which is another big difference between what she's doing and what a PA author would (be able to) do.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Another reason that PA authors are jubilant over making numerous sales at signings is that it's almost the only way for them to recoup the expense of their books that they self-purchased from PA and get back to near breaking even financially.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
From Jenna's first post in this topic:
5. Publicity

Now's when your publicist should swing into high-gear. You've probably already filled out a questionnaire by this point detailing any publicity avenues open to you, your speaking experience, your travel plans, etc. The publicist will write a press release, go over a list of where to send advance review copies (the major trade magazines such as Publishers Weekly, Kirkus, Library Journal, etc. get them first), ask you if you want to do local book signings, figure out publications and media venues likely to feature you and make contact, etc.

When people complain that publishers "don't promote" their books, what they usually mean is that they rarely send authors on tours anymore, and they rarely take out ads in papers, magazines, or TV. Simple reason: They typically don't pay off. Imagine paying for an author to fly around the country and stay in hotels, only to find that no more than a dozen people show up at these signings. Imagine paying big bucks for an ad and finding that it sells two copies. Much more important are reviews, interviews, speaking engagements, bookstore placement, etc.

Your book's cover art and description will go into the publisher's seasonal catalog, which then gets sent out to bookstores and libraries. The distributor's sales reps pitch the current season's titles (and any backlist titles that the publisher wants to draw attention to) to the bookstore buyers. The sales reps tell the buyers about any planned publicity-- buyers are more likely to order the book if they know it has a big publicity budget or the author has guaranteed media mentions coming up.

The buyer places orders. The publisher decides whether or not to pay for front-of-the-store placement. Those books you see stacked on tables in the front of the store aren't there by chance-- they're there because the publisher paid for those spots!

The publisher also decides whether to invest in direct mailings (postcards, usually), Amazon promotions, a launch party, etc.

[...]

7. And So On

Your publisher may enter your book in contests, put an ad for you in Radio Television Interview Report or similar guest-finder services, bring your book to book fairs, seek out "special sales" (bulk sales to corporations or organizations), offer your book as a giveaway in contests, and other such ongoing promotions. Generally, your publicist will have a limited window of time (3-6 months) when your book is actually on the "top of the pile"-- then the publicist needs to concentrate on other books. But even years later, you can still ask the publicist to send someone a review copy, send you flyers to bring to a speaking event, etc.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
James D. Macdonald said:
Do you actually get enough of a sales increase to pay for print ads, Cathy?

I'm not sure but that you're just wasting your time and money on 'em.

I believe we did get a sufficient return. It was a very conscious business decision on our part, not simply because we felt obligated or that marketing was "our responsibility." But consider the background of my situation:

1. We were unknown authors with no prior history in the genre (romance).
2. The line was brand new, with no prior history.
3. The publisher had never before published ANYTHING in the genre (Tor is traditionally a SF/Fantasy publisher). The paranormal romance line was completely untested.

So, we were new authors, in a new line, with an unknown publisher (in the genre). When we were first informed about our initial print run, they anticipated it to be 32,000 in mass market. That quantity is sort of a death knell for a new author. It was too small to pay back the advance, even if every one sold. It was too small for the publisher to get behind it adequately.

I started to market a year in advance, sending out press releases to the PUBLISHING industry (not to readers) about the whole line. I sent out press packets to indie book stores about the whole LINE (but mentioned our book prominently ;) .) Since it was one of the debut books, there was a certain buzz anyway, but not about OUR book. We were an unknown quantity. I put thousands of dollars into print ads in romance magazines, into hand-printed ARCs (quality ARCs, just not from the publisher) to send them out to reviewers.

BUT!

By the time that nine months had passed, enough wholesalers and bookstores had started to talk about the "strange new book" that advance orders of the title caused them to DOUBLE the print run. Okay, now 64,000 is a much better number for a new author. Suddenly, booksellers were getting excited. Reviews started to hit websites and magazines all over the place. It was a strange little book in romance, being first person male POV, and even if they didn't LIKE the plot, they thought it was unique enough to recommend it to readers. The title shipped 100% and they went to a second print run within five months. Now, it didn't sell through as well as we'd hoped. We ended up with about 45% sell-through. But we EARNED through our advance easily, and it's still selling at about 100 per week, as we understand from our editor.

So, yes -- overall, I think the dollars were worth it. It secured our second contract with the publisher, and paved the way for the sequel to sell just as well.

egem said:
Do bookstores usual show the numbers to publishers that sell from their best spots? Also, was TOR the publisher that was running the Paranormal Romance contest?

They have to. When special treatment has been requested, they have to report these sales back when it comes time for the next contract. I haven't heard about a contest that Tor's doing. I know that Dorchester Publishing is doing the "American Title" contest, like American Idol. But that's the only one I've heard of.

SC Harrison said:
Before you say it, of course it doesn't make sense, and it's like comparing apples and oranges, but the folks on NEPAT have expended a great deal of effort trying to convince PA authors that this self-promotion thing wouldn't be necessary with a real publisher, and that money should always flow to the author, not away.

Remember, though, that the big difference is that I'm doing promotion out of ADVANCE EARNINGS! I was paid thousands of dollars by the publisher to spend as I saw fit, before the book ever hit the shelf. Whether I spend it on food or clothes or to hopefully make MORE money, it's mine to spend. Same with the small press book. I absolutely agree that subsidy press goes the wrong direction. In my case, the money had ALREADY flowed to me. I just let a bit slip back again.

See, I have no particular problem with authors from PA and the like doing promotion. Even if PA were a LEGITIMATE small press (which they aren't, BTW -- don't get me wrong), some marketing would be a good thing, IMO. I marketed our small press book too. It was a niche title and hasn't even sold through the first printing of 4,000 after two years. That's not because it's not a good book. It's just a niche title -- IF you like railroads, and IF you like historical construction and IF you want to read about stuff that happened in Colorado in the 1800's, THEN you'll probably buy the book. That's a pretty small market, though.

But again -- and let me stress this -- any sort of marketing DOES NO GOOD IF THE BOOKSTORE CAN'T GET THE BOOK! If the title cannot be ordered easily and returned easily, the bookstore won't order it. They simply won't. It's not good business to throw money away, and that's what happens with a lot of subsidy titles. By applying the same rules to them as they do to other published books, the bookstore will lose money if they can't sell it. With traditional publishers, at least it's a wash. No money in, but no money GONE, either. Our small press title is orderable with a standard discount, and returnable. Otherwise, I wouldn't have wasted the money.

Canada James said:

The big chains do this, because I've had the managers show me the notations on the packing lists. I know that our publisher paid for this for the whole line, because national wholesaler representatives told me (they were impressed with the publisher's commitment to the line.) The chain distribution warehouses send the books WITH instruction on how to place them. Only if there is no "upscale" of the title can they place it where they please. As for facing out your own books -- sure, a lot of authors do it (I'm one of them). But I'll bet you that at the end of the day, they go right back to spine out when the staff is straightening shelves. ;)

Marketing is a case by case thing, and an author by author one. It worked for me. It might not work for everyone. I know some authors who have done it to great success (like one debut mystery author who paid a publicist several grand a month for about a year preceding the release to create a "buzz" about the title. It worked. The publisher had to double, and then quadruple the press run before it hit the streets.) But others threw the money away without a single bite.

A recent article I read in a newsletter for an author group where you MUST be multi-pubbed was discussing publicists. The rule of thumb was to start thinking about hiring a publicist when you're spending more than HALF of your advance doing marketing. So, apparently a lot of authors DO spend money marketing or the issue would never come up. Paying a publicist IS marketing and it's a whole bunch of money (between $1,000-$4,000 every single month, regardless of results.) Nora Roberts spends her own money. LOTS of it! She even created her OWN publicity company, where she is the primary client.

Marketing sells books. It always has. But the question comes down to whether the money was there to start with. It shouldn't go out unless it's there. The way I think of it is that if you start with ZERO dollars, you should spend ZERO dollars. If you start with $1,000 (advance paid by publisher), you can wind up with $1,000, or you can spend the $1,000 to try to make $2,000. It's gambling in its truest form. You might wind up with ZERO dollars. You might wind up with $5,000. There's no way to judge the public's reaction. EVERYBODY thinks they wrote a good book.

JMHO, as always! :)

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
James D. Macdonald said:
There's so little an author can do (other than write a good book, then write another). I really do think that the biggest effect of most author promotion is to give the author something to do to keep from fretting about things he has no control over.
Heh. I often imagine a new author's agent, after getting ten calls in a day to check on sales numbers, saying "Why don't you, um, go design some bookmarks, yeah, and hand them around to your local stores. Yeah, that's it. And don't forget little places like coffee shops, and...." ;)

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Aconite said:
Christine, if you don't mind answering, which publisher requires a marketing plan and doesn't send out review copies?

Oh no no no. My publisher sent out review copies (and I'm only speaking from my own experience). But I did help to develop the marketing plan when submitting the book to the CHAINS. Not submitting to the publisher. LOL No, when you're with a small press, a copy of each book has to be submitted to the small press department of each chain, along with a publicity packet and marketing plan, if you want them to consider stocking the title. They want to know what you (meaning the publisher) are going to do to get people into the store to buy the book. The book also has to have other things going for it - eye-catching cover, good reviews, and competitive cover price and discount. Many of the things PA books DON'T have.

That marketing plan better have print ads listed. I am fortunate, as my publisher also puts out two magazines, and gives their book titles print ads in at least one. I'm lucky, since my book is fantasy, I'll also get an ad in their SF/F/H quarterly.

Personally, I think it's crap. If I were to see a book in a mag (like from my publisher) I can buy the book on their website. If I were to see it, like UJ says, from an author who's book I'm waiting to get, I'll run over to Amazon and order it. I won't drive to the bookstore. But I'm lazy that way.

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Cathy C said:
Remember, though, that the big difference is that I'm doing promotion out of ADVANCE EARNINGS! I was paid thousands of dollars by the publisher to spend as I saw fit, before the book ever hit the shelf. Whether I spend it on food or clothes or to hopefully make MORE money, it's mine to spend. Same with the small press book. I absolutely agree that subsidy press goes the wrong direction. In my case, the money had ALREADY flowed to me. I just let a bit slip back again.

Okay, now I understand. Thanks for clearing that up. Investing part of your advance on well thought-out promotions would be a good idea (in many cases).

So...what percent of my $1.00 advance from PA should be dedicated to advertising? Just kidding.

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Christine N. said:
Oh no no no. My publisher sent out review copies (and I'm only speaking from my own experience). But I did help to develop the marketing plan when submitting the book to the CHAINS. Not submitting to the publisher. LOL
LOL! Oh, good. I'm so glad to hear that. What a relief.

Canada James

Take off!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesmccann.info
mreddin said:
I've looked over co-op advertising deals through the ABA handbook and don't recall seeing anything about faceouts. However, that may be a special arrangement that is more unique to the chain stores. I think your average local independent may display a number of books based on staff preferences and the number of titles in stock compared to available floor space. You really do lose a great deal of capacity when you display books in this manner. It's easier for publishers to negotiate with an entire chain for a particular display deal, than it is to contact thousands of small independents.

Mike

I've worked for chains and have still never heard of this. The logistics involved (especially at Christmas) to make face outs of specific titles, and to ensure that they are kept faced out (customers have a nasty habit of rearranging shelves...) just make this one impossible to do. It's hard enough making sure end caps are correct.

I could be wrong. Maybe B&N charges for face outs. I just doubt it.

Canada James

Canada James

Take off!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamesmccann.info
Cathy C said:
As for facing out your own books -- sure, a lot of authors do it (I'm one of them). But I'll bet you that at the end of the day, they go right back to spine out when the staff is straightening shelves. ;)

No, Cathy, if it were co-op advertising they would *not* let an author do this anymore than they would let an author tear down an endcap and put up his/her own books.

I still don't believe that a bookstore could charge for face outs, simply because (having worked in both chain and indie stores) I know firsthand the logistics of making certain books face out. The store policy where I work right now is three face outs per shelf, new books always get the priority. It's a pain in the neck to try and make that happen; near impossible during Christmas. If the publishers were paying for face outs (especially in a big chain with more part time help than full time) most of the day would be spent walking the store to make sure those books were faced out.

Any B&N or BAMM people here that can chirp in? I'd love to know the nightmares associated with this kind of bargaining if it is true.

Canada James

Lauri B

I Heart Mac
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Christine N. said:
Oh no no no. My publisher sent out review copies (and I'm only speaking from my own experience). But I did help to develop the marketing plan when submitting the book to the CHAINS. Not submitting to the publisher. LOL No, when you're with a small press, a copy of each book has to be submitted to the small press department of each chain, along with a publicity packet and marketing plan, if you want them to consider stocking the title. They want to know what you (meaning the publisher) are going to do to get people into the store to buy the book. The book also has to have other things going for it - eye-catching cover, good reviews, and competitive cover price and discount. Many of the things PA books DON'T have.

That marketing plan better have print ads listed. I am fortunate, as my publisher also puts out two magazines, and gives their book titles print ads in at least one. I'm lucky, since my book is fantasy, I'll also get an ad in their SF/F/H quarterly.

Personally, I think it's crap. If I were to see a book in a mag (like from my publisher) I can buy the book on their website. If I were to see it, like UJ says, from an author who's book I'm waiting to get, I'll run over to Amazon and order it. I won't drive to the bookstore. But I'm lazy that way.

Sorry for the confusion.

Christine is talking here about small presses that don't have a national distributor, but rather distribute to accounts themselves. Chains want to see that a publisher is committed to promoting the book, true, but print ads are not a requirement for being picked up by a chain.