• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Publisher] The Grumpy Dragon

The Grump

Hates Marketing. Loves Writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mktheodoratus.com
I feel like I'm asking about my namesake, but what do you guys know about Grumpy Dragon Publishing. Personal experience? Second hand experience?

They've been around for a few years, and I'd like to put them on my list of possible publishers.

Adobedragon

Registered
Reaction score
No experience myself...

But looking at their website, my impression is "well meaning, but unlikely to sell many books." I'm a-guessing they make more money from their workshops than from publishing.

herdon

What's up?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ipad.about.com
A 2-person company with no budget. Also, that website is like jumping into a time machine back to 1994.

Bicyclefish

Pedaling Pescado
Registered
Reaction score
I found an old 2008 blog post about them in which one owner, Spring Lea Henry, commented, discussing her company. There's also a 2007 interview and 2010 interview with the story of why she went into publishing.

As far as qualifications, I found Spring Lea's resume online, but it may be out of date.

DeadlyAccurate

Absolutely Fazed
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.carlaharker.com
The Grumpy Dragon said:
"Dream big. We'll help." The Grumpy Dragon is dedicated to helping aspiring authors, artists, and artisans of all ages bring their dreams into reality. Please feel free to look around at all the wonderful talent we have discovered. (And, yes, we happily publish talented teen authors.)

This is from their home page. Their very first paragraph they're selling themselves to authors, not readers.

They have an eclectic mix of genres (if that's even the right word). Coloring books, politics, and poetry? What do any of those have in common?

Also, the book under their history & memoirs section, Jacob's Legacy, also shows up on Lulu.com. I don't know if that means the publisher is using Lulu.com to do their printing, or if the writer took back her publishing rights.

I don't see anything about this publisher that would entice me to submit to them.

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
The last blog post is in 2009. The coming soon books are all set for 2010. I did try searching for one of the coming soon titles, but the only result was the Grumpy Dragon coming soon page. If they are still publishing books, they're not active in promoting them or keeping the site updated.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
I'd like to put them on my list of possible publishers.

Have you ever seen one of their books in a bookstore?

Have you ever read one of their books?

Has anyone you know ever read one of their books?

If the answer is "no," then they shouldn't go on your list of possibles.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
They began work on the site recently, so I won't count 'em out yet.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Now I will: site's gone, and per FB, closed at the end of '14.