Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Gillian MacKenzie Agency

Perhaps, today is the day.

Gillian MacKenzie Agency

Has anyone heard of Gillian MacKenzie or her executive assistant Allyson Paty? They've requested material from me but didn't specify in what format or partial or full. Don't want to step on any toes by sending the wrong stuff...

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

practical experience, FTW
    Every time I've gotten a partial request they gave me specific guidelines. So if she didn't give you any, I would politely ask.

Trying to do some research and not finding much. I see her list of clients but I can't tell if those books have been sold or if they are pending. Maybe I need to click on the title?

practical experience, FTW
    Never mind. Click on the title and it shows the publisher.

She replied right away telling me send it whatever format that I was comfortable. Sent it via doc (that seems to be the common). Since then, I got a R&R kind of thing going with another agent, so I emailed back and asked if I could send the revised version. She replied right away again, and said she hasn't read the old one yet and to go ahead. I've never had such an easy communication with any agent, ever. I'm in awe. I'll update later when I get some news.

USA Today Bestselling Author Jamiekswriter's Avatar
    Query Tracker says she only does non-fiction, but I thought I heard she's looking for YA. Anyone else hear that?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    She does selective YA. Congratulaions on the request 'ksbaby', sounds like you've got more than just her interest. Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by brmyers View Post
    She does selective YA. Congratulaions on the request 'ksbaby', sounds like you've got more than just her interest. Good Luck.
    Thanks. My fingers are crossed

practical experience, FTW ryannj5's Avatar
    I got a full request from Gillian yesterday. It is for YA. She reps a YA author I really like, Susane Colasanti - so I thought I'd give her a try. Yay for fulls!
    Best,

Ryann

I blog about writing. Represented by the Literary Counsel.

Stepping through the Shadows JayliaDarkness's Avatar
    I sent my query for a young adult steampunk to Gillian MacKenzie on January 7th. She answered on January 9th requesting the full. I had collaborated on the story with a professional illustrator – I wrote, he drew. She asked to see sample illustrations, which I emailed, and then she emailed the illustrator to discuss his ideas concerning the story. She said she would get back to me right away.

In February, I met with an editor who was interested in the story. I told Gillian – no answer. In March, another agent offered representation. I told Gillian – again, no answer. I decided to go with the other agent, since I never heard back from Gillian.
    My YA Fantasy novel, ESCAPE FROM WITCHWOOD HOLLOW, will soon be published by Curiosity Quills.

Blog: http://kissedbyliterature.blogspot.com/
    If you like my writing, you can "like" me on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/pages/Jordan-Elizabeth-Mierek/134299303402268?fref=ts
    WattPad: http://www.wattpad.com/user/JordanMierek

Represented by Belcastro Literary Agency

Nonfiction author
    Is Gillian's agency website down? I get no response. Can't find a phone number for the firm either, to see if they even know about it.

UPDATE -- I emailed her and she wrote right back, surprised and alarmed to hear her site was down (she checked and confirmed: it's down). But then she asked for my proposal, and she's already downloaded it... I like how fast she works!
    Last edited by onthefence; 10-14-2015 at 11:19 PM.