• Total voters

Purple Rose

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alxblog.net
What happened to Queen??? Just for Bohemian Rhapsody if anything. Then again, what was the greatest in the US is probably very different from the rest of the world. Maybe Queen , especially Freddie Mercury, did not quite appeal to the US audience. Oh well, so sad. That's my vote anyway.

mulcahy67

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
The Rolling Stones aren't my favorite (out of that list, it's actually REM), but i have always considered them the greatest. To me, just the very image of those guys is the quintessential idea behind rock n' roll. everything about them just kind of spoke out.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I voted for the Rolling Stones, because if I try to make a list of my favorite five rock songs of all time (but only one per band), it takes me a LONG time to decide which Stones song gets in.

FWIW: Gimme Shelter FTW in a photo finish over Jumping Jack Flash, with Satisfaction a nose behind. The other four: Refugee--Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers; All Along the Watchtower--Jimi Hendrix version, but could be by just about anyone; You Shook Me All Night Long--AC/DC; Hey Jude--The Beatles.

PS: PERSONAL list! YMMV!

Last edited:

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What happened to Queen??? Just for Bohemian Rhapsody if anything. Then again, what was the greatest in the US is probably very different from the rest of the world. Maybe Queen , especially Freddie Mercury, did not quite appeal to the US audience. Oh well, so sad. That's my vote anyway.

They only got two nominations in the nom thread, sadly. I was surprised.

RIFF

Banned
Reaction score
pffft

MUSE - who? Never hern 'em- disqualified. )
Led Zeppelin- convicted plagiarists, vastly overated.
Pink Floyd- without Sid- rock or easy listening?
Green Day- you're joking right?
The Beatle-best pop band ever, that Beatle was.
The Clash- Jesus! Not serious are you?
REM- pleasant, hardly rock though.
AC/DC- maybe for 14 year olds.
Joy Division- NO.
Pearl Jam- irritatingly affected vocals, overated.
The Doors- good pop songs, all about tragic Jim.
Black Sabbath- poor man's Deep Purple of the late 60s.
The Rolling Stones- Rock and Roll, big difference- totally derivative act.
The Who- Good pick, easily in the top five.
Cradle of Filth- NO!!
The Greatful Dead - Grateful. Jam band, lotta drugs, lotta rootsy covers, not much rock at all.
The Sex Pistols- Pffffft...
Chordbangers like da Clash, good costumes though.

Jimi. Who. Purple. (Zep-disqualified!) others>>through to > Yngwie and contemporaries, 1984ish. It essentially stopped then because it was too much work to learn to play that good. )
We, masochistically, used to watch the VH1 station- with watsisface- Michaels from Poisoned hosting. Other sellouts included Alice Cooper, Lemmy Motorhead, Iggy Pop(!). An attempt was made to force Pete Townshend into their camp, but he will not speak for them.
These types are trying to rewrite Rock history- placing GNR at the top. Hendrix is fifteenth! Sublime are up there somewhere. This is quite evil and should be stopped.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I'm immensely pleased that the only 2 bands you just outright said "NO!" to were the 2 I liked the best. I voted for Cradle Of Filth, and if they hadn't been an option I would've voted for Joy Division.

But neither are Rock bands, IMO.

:)

RIFF

Banned
Reaction score
Muaha.
Well, you said Rock. ) Rock music happened and then a bunch of other stuff happened. I like those groups too. Greed Day, though- No. Too late, too cute, too obvious, too... one of a buch of poppypunkola bands that could have easily been etcetc. but the cutest frontman wins, same as EVH, who had the most rockstar mag covers of th' lot, and VH aren't even mentioned. And what about Mountain. REM are more country rock if you listen to their 1st few albums, really quite good. ...*

RIFF

Banned
Reaction score
Metalheads count, possibly all the way to ten. But real rock amps go to eleven.