The Shiny New Album Thread

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
That's an autoharp. Doesn't she use it a lot on that whole album? They're kind of expensive, but not too hard to play. :)

Guess I should look on the album notes. More to the point, can you get a left-handed autoharp? Goes off to google it...

ShapeSphere

Hello, Hooray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.antonypeyton.com
Barry Adamson I Will Set You Free (2012)
Sample: Turnaround

(Barry has worked with Magazine and Nick Cave and been around a while. His latest album is great, but very light in comparison to his previous dark cinematic-inspired offerings. BTW, I bought this CD. That's right ... I went to a shop and left with an object. Beat that!)

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Love Magazine - always have. The synthesizer in that sample sounds very Magazine! I have Barry's EP called The Negro Inside Me - if you've heard his version of The Man with the Golden Arm, it's something like that. Here's Busted from the EP - very bad-ass sixties slick.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
Love Magazine - always have.

Never really knew much about Magazine at the time, except for 'Shot By Both Sides', but I spent much of my fourteenth year obsessed by the Buzzcocks' Spiral Scratch EP.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
It would probably be easier for me to list the albums I have that are MORE than two years old, lol. In fact, several of my favorite genres didn't even exist until around the turn of the millennium.

Very best new album: Nightwish's Imaginaerum. Actually, this is just plain the best album ever. (Released Dec. 2011)

Tyr's The Land of Thrym (Pagan folk metal from the Faroe Islands, released May 2011)

My Ruin: A Southern Revelation (Metal I can't classify, released Dec. 2011)

Within Temptation's The Unforgiving (March 2011)

Leaves' Eyes: Meredead (April 2011)

Epica's Requiem for the Indifferent (March 2012)

I'm always hunting for more new symphonic metal, but I haven't found that many of the new bands have as clear and true a sound as Epica and Nightwish. Hmph. In 20 years I'll probably be one of those lame old people saying "I remember when music was actually GOOD". Lol.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Very best new album: Nightwish's Imaginaerum. Actually, this is just plain the best album ever. (Released Dec. 2011)

Within Temptation's The Unforgiving (March 2011)

I recently picked up those 2 CDs. Probably in the last couple of months. Very nice stuff. :)

And I'll raise you Within Temptation's "The Silent Force" which I bought 2 days ago. No idea when it was released, but it's just as good as "The Unforgiving" in my opinion. Maybe not as raw, emotion-wise, but still packs a punch.

Google-fu tells me "The Silent Force" was released in 2004. So yeah, not exactly a shiny new album... Just new to me. :)

Arcadia Divine

Registered
Reaction score
Evolution By Paul Van Dyk. That album is amazing, which I should expect nothing less from an Electronic Dance artist as refined as him.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fang Island, Major.

It's streaming on NPR at the link above. It won't be released until July 24, but I've already pre-ordered it and you can hear it in its entirety right now.

If you're not familiar with Fang Island, they're best described as relentlessly positive prog rock. You cannot listen to Fang Island and maintain a bad mood.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been busy collecting shiny new albums. Today's picks:

Washed Out Within & Without
Band of Skulls Sweet Sour
Dr. Dog Be The Void
Atlas Sound Parallax

Also enjoying:

Sleigh Bells Reign of Terror
Beach House Teen Dream
Beats Antique Elektraphone Digital
Wax Fang La La Land

IAMWRITER

QWERTY!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Carrie Underwood - Blown Away

Fantastic album. IMO it is probably her best.

Its such a shame that country music isn't that well recognised here in the UK.

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
Benedictum -- Dominion (released 2011). Though I only recently discovered this band, so it's all newish to me. Veronica Freeman is THE best singer I have ever heard. I'm obsessed with her voice. I swear, she sings the way I want to write—incredibly powerful, often rough, but capable of being melodic and even almost sweet at times.

Ego Likeness -- Breedless (released 2010). My favorite darkwave band.

Abney Park -- Ancient World (released 2012). Unclassifiable steampunk-themed rock FTW.

Its such a shame that country music isn't that well recognised here in the UK.
I shall file immigration paperwork immediately. I've spent my whole life in rural America and country music is EVERYWHERE. *shudder*

ShapeSphere

Hello, Hooray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.antonypeyton.com
Geoff Barrow and Ben Salisbury: DROKK, music inspired by Mega-City One (2012)
Sample: Lawmaster/Pursuit

This is for fans of Judge Dredd and 2000AD. It was released before the film Dredd and is not directly related. The album's good, very retro. Bit like Tron meets John Carpenter. (Geoff Barrow is of course from the band Portishead.)

Brad: United We Stand (2012)
Sample: Needle and Thread

Brad includes Stone Gossard from Pearl Jam and this is their fifth album. Great stuff, and has that Seattle sound I love. But I still think their debut album Shame (1993) is their best: 20th Century

This is a good thread as on Devil Ledbetter's recommendation I bought Smith Westerns last year.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
Kendrick Lamar's Good Kid,M.A.A.D City.

FINALLY,rap that displays storytelling ability and lyrical skill. It's a terrific album.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Currently listening to the new Killswitch Engage album (Disarm The Descent) and The Living Infinite by Soilwork.

Plus some drum and bass from 2000 by Polar.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
Just picked up Alkaline Trio's new album - My Shame Is True. Only listened through it once but there are some really stand-out tracks, and I suspect the rest will grow on me, as their songs tend to do.