The Shiny New Album Thread

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
What are you listening to that's new? It seems like there is a lot of talk on this forum about old, classic rock but little discussion of newer artists. I love discovering new music, so I propose a thread reserved for discussing albums that are no more than two years old.

If you're listening to some great new album or band you want to share, post it here.

Smith Westerns Dye It Blonde (2011) is a sweet album of guitar rock that sounds like an upgrade on '70s glam. It's the band's second album, and they're fresh out of high school. This album was a grower - at first listen, nothing stood out. But after 6 or 7 spins I was walking around with these tunes stuck in my mind all the time. Sample: Weekend.

Sleigh Bells Treats (2010) This noise-rock album is something lovers of "establishment" music will hate. It's heavy, loud and distorted with shredding guitar and great beats ... though the bottom end may destroy your speakers. It sounds like something on the verge of flying to pieces, but is held together by catchy melodies and the sugary voice of Alexis Krause. It's one of those no in between albums; you'll either love it or despise it. I love it! Sample: Crown on the Ground

Menomena Mines (2010) My favorite new album of 2010. This is band-geek territory with lots of looping, a little brass and bizarre lyrics: every song is an example of great storytelling. Words will fail to describe it, so I'll stop trying. Sample: Lunchmeat

I can't be the only AWer who listens to new music. I'm tired of hearing about stuff that came out when I was in elementary school. What are you listening to that's new?

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
How could I forget Hacienda? These guys aren't tilling any new ground, but they till some old ground really well. I recommend their new album, Red Hot and Barbacoa. (2010). You can practically feel the cement floor of the barroom when you listen to these guys. Sample: Hacienda, Mama's Cooking.

trailerbride

Northern scum. Southern belle.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pankhearst.com
I'm still trying to decide if PJ Harvey's "Let England Shake" is a work of genius or a complete disaster.

I love "Treats" though. When I made my traditional End Of The Year mix for 2010, Rill Rill was the first song on it. I would have followed it with Infinity Guitars but I had a one song per rule. So the second song was Evelyn Evelyn's cover of "Love Will Tear Us Apart" instead.

Other favourite newish releases:

The Hold Steady "Heaven Is Whenever" (Sample: the kinda title track "We Can Get Together", my song of the year)
Lone Wolf "The Devil And I" ("This Is War")
Warpaint "The Fool" ("Billie Holiday")
Elizabeth Cook "Welder" ("Heroin Sister Addict")
Kate Tucker "White Horses"

And I'm waiting for Lucinda Williams' new one in the hope that it sees her back on form.

Last edited:

ShapeSphere

Hello, Hooray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.antonypeyton.com
I'm tired of hearing about stuff that came out when I was in elementary school.

Damn. I may as well delete my account.

Anyway, here's:

Filter The Trouble With Angels (2010)
Sample: The Inevitable Relapse
(Not a new band though. Their first album "Short Bus" was way better. Sample.)

The Drums The Drums (2010)
Sample: Let's Go Surfing
(They are new. Sort of like Joy Division meets the Beach Boys.)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
The Agonist - "Lullabies For The Dormant Mind". Just coming in under 2 years old - an album released in March 2009. This band won my heart almost immediately, thanks to the singer Alissa White-Gluz. This is also only their second official album, so the band itself is quite new too, though I believe they've been around since before 2007 in some variety or another. Thank You Pain and ...And Their Eulogies Sang Me To Sleep are 2 of only 3 official videos by the band, both off this album.

Cradle Of Filth - "Darkly, Darkly, Venus Aversa". This was released November 1st 2010, presumably when midnight kicked us over past Halloween. :) Cradle had been my favourite band for about 10 years (so no, it's not a new band) until I heard The Agonist late last year. Forgive Me Father (I Have Sinned) ~Official Video~ and Lilith Immaculate (being my favourite song on the album).

I should probably have more new stuff than this, but I'm not sure which of my other CDs are less than 2-years old as a release... I know which ones I bought in the last 2 years...

Probably Lady Gaga and Katy Perry are coming in around the 2-year mark... and I have both their debut albums.

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Damn. I may as well delete my account.
Don't mind my fussiness. It's not just AW that's fixated on "rock" that's thirty to forty years past its heyday.

Anyway, here's:

Filter The Trouble With Angels (2010)
Sample: The Inevitable Relapse
(Not a new band though. Their first album "Short Bus" was way better. Sample.)

The Drums The Drums (2010)
Sample: Let's Go Surfing
(They are new. Sort of like Joy Division meets the Beach Boys.)
I love Filter, and have been meaning to try out The Drums. They're playing Bonnaroo this year. Yes, I am going.

childeroland

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
The new Radiohead. The new The Black Keys.

willietheshakes

Gentleman. Scholar. Bastard.
Registered
Reaction score
The Hold Steady "Heaven Is Whenever" (Sample: the kinda title track "We Can Get Together", my song of the year)

One of my favourite albums of last year, but one of the best songs -- IMHO -- isn't actually on it. I was in DC when they premiered 4 tracks from the sessions in the summer of 2009, and the one I was most looking forward to -- Separate Vacations -- didn't make the cut. It does circulate on bootlegs, and on their Apple Store iTunes session download...

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues. To be released May 3, 2011!!!!!! David Dye played a track on World Cafe on Friday. I don't know if the archived audio is the whole show or just the featured artist (Gregg Allman that day).

The track sounded very much like their prior stuff, which is good news. I'm looking forward to this one.

ETA: Oh nice! It's on Youtube.

Last edited:

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues. To be released May 3, 2011!!!!!! David Dye played a track on World Cafe on Friday. I don't know if the archived audio is the whole show or just the featured artist (Gregg Allman that day).

The track sounded very much like their prior stuff, which is good news. I'm looking forward to this one.

ETA: Oh nice! It's on Youtube.
I can't wait for this album. I love the Fleet Foxes and can even play a few of their songs on my acoustic guitar.

Yuck's debut album, Yuck, is good despite the name and ugly album cover art. Check out Operation.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Fleet Foxes - Helplessness Blues. To be released May 3, 2011!!!!!!

So that album will be released the day I turn 27? With a title like "Helplessness Blues" it should've been released the day I turned 15...

:)

(I'm going to check out Fleet Foxes in a moment.)

ETA: Checked out that youtube link, and they're not really my style. Oh well. :)

Last edited:

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So that album will be released the day I turn 27? With a title like "Helplessness Blues" it should've been released the day I turned 15...

(I'm going to check out Fleet Foxes in a moment.)

ETA: Checked out that youtube link, and they're not really my style. Oh well. :)

Despite a bad break-up when I was 27, I found a lot of true contentment that continues through all the good and bad that has happened since. I love being an adult and my late 20s was when I began to be my happiest.

There's a lot of good music out right now, especially in the singer/songwriter and Americana genres. This is the most exciting time in music since rock alternative got big in the early 90s.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I'm expecting each passing year in my life to get better than previous years, up until about... 58? At that point it'll probably start going downhill again :D.

So when I turn 27 (when that album is released) I don't think I'll be blue. In fact, I'm really looking forward to turning 29. I've long suspected 29 will be "my" year, where everything falls into place.

Probably because 29 was when my brother and sister both started having fantastically FULL lives...

Devil Ledbetter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's a lot of good music out right now, especially in the singer/songwriter and Americana genres. This is the most exciting time in music since rock alternative got big in the early 90s.
Speaking of Americana singer/songwriters (and ChrisP, I think this came up with you before) if you like that sort of thing I highly recommend Dylan LeBlanc's album, Paupers Field (2010). Check out Emma Hartley.

And on a completely different note, if you like prog rock with a giant dose of happy and a side of completely accessible, I highly recommend the relentlessly upbeat Fang Island's self titled album (2010). Here's Daisy.

Yes, there is a ton of good new music these days.

Chris P

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I checked out Dylan's videos. He's great, but I haven't listened to the whole album yet.

whacko

Keeping up with the class
Registered
Reaction score
This is a great thread for a boring old fart like me. I haven't bought anything from a new artist for ages. But something Sort of like Joy Division meets the Beach Boys has got to be investigated!

And, as I like prog rock with a giant dose of happy and a side of completely accessible I'll be checking out Fang Island too.

Regards

Whacko

Aylaa

Uncharacteristic is my character
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure how many of us are out there, but i prefer electronic music when I'm writing. Vocals or no vocals not a big deal, but catching state of trance is a good listen while writing.

New albums- The Glitch Mob- Drink the Sea - by far one of my favorites of the year. Driving bass, no vocals and intelligent melodies drive the mind into new places. Here's a link for a taste.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbAUwi4D3Ew&feature=related

dsire

Registered
Reaction score
Website
thedumbsoldier.wordpress.com
I have a really weird, diverse taste in music.

New ones I'm totally obsessed with:
Bread and Circuses, The View
Goodbye Lullaby, Avril Lavigne
build a rocket boys! Elbow
What Did You Expect From the Vaccines, The Vaccines
Passive Me, Aggressive You, The Naked and Famous

And for the past six months I've been in love with the Kick-Ass movie score. How was that not even nominated at the Oscars?!?!