Battle: LA

Smileycat

The Punk Cat
Registered
Reaction score
This alien vs. Earthlings movie comes out 3/11. Looks good. Aaron Eckhart and many others are cast. They have a cool site with trailers and even a documentary clip about the real 'Battle: Los Angeles,' which took place in 1942.

The videos consist of 2 trailers, the documentary, and 2 TV news clips - one in Spanish. It even has a game.

Go here: http://battlela.com

Smileycat

The Punk Cat
Registered
Reaction score
Did you check it out No interest?

Smileycat

The Punk Cat
Registered
Reaction score
This is definitely on my To Watch list, even tho I had never heard of it until about a week ago, which never bodes well for this sort of film. Sadly, it also reminds me of the recent Skyline.

I hope not. Skyline sucked me in and I didn't care for it.

Well, the documentary and photos on the site are good. :)

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
The clip they showed at Comic Con was amazing -- it was like embedded news footage, except they were fighting aliens.

The previews look amazing. I'll definitely be first in line on 3/11/11.

Skyline was good for like 2/3 and then it just sucked. I didn't really like the previews because they reminded me of a poor-man War of the Worlds. Battle: LA, however, completely wowed me, and I am not usually keen on war movies.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I was so excited about Battle: LA, I bought the trailer music and made it the theme song to one of my novels.

Which, oddly, does not include aliens. But it is a sci-fi war story, so there we go.

Smileycat

The Punk Cat
Registered
Reaction score
The clip they showed at Comic Con was amazing -- it was like embedded news footage, except they were fighting aliens.

The previews look amazing. I'll definitely be first in line on 3/11/11.

Skyline was good for like 2/3 and then it just sucked. I didn't really like the previews because they reminded me of a poor-man War of the Worlds. Battle: LA, however, completely wowed me, and I am not usually keen on war movies.

I agree that the trailer looks very good.

The real incident in 1942 didn't include hand-to-hand combat with aliens on the ground - just a disc-shaped craft hovering in the sky above LA, which did not shoot back. I can't remember how many rounds were fired at it - something like 1430 antiaircraft shells, according to some sites. The military had it under several spotlights while it hovered there for better vision at night.

Let us know how you liked it after you see it, okay?

Smileycat

The Punk Cat
Registered
Reaction score
I was so excited about Battle: LA, I bought the trailer music and made it the theme song to one of my novels.

Which, oddly, does not include aliens. But it is a sci-fi war story, so there we go.

No kidding? Cool, Zoombie.

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
Is it a requirement that Michelle Rodriguez be in every alien movie now? Seriously.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score
Is it a requirement that Michelle Rodriguez be in every alien movie now? Seriously.

And... this is why I'll probably never see this movie. The trailers looked good; I was ready for it, then I got a look at the cast list. If someone sees it and tells me that she gets blown to bits in the first 5 minutes, then I'm back on board. Otherwise, there's no way I can sit through it. I really, strongly dislike her as an actress.

Smileycat

The Punk Cat
Registered
Reaction score
And... this is why I'll probably never see this movie. The trailers looked good; I was ready for it, then I got a look at the cast list. If someone sees it and tells me that she gets blown to bits in the first 5 minutes, then I'm back on board. Otherwise, there's no way I can sit through it. I really, strongly dislike her as an actress.

aww. why?

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Grrarrgh's been tainted by LOST.

I hate MR's role in LOST, but I liked her in Avatar. I would, however, prefer Moon Bloodgood... (dreams...)

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
I lurrrve me a good space guys vs Earth guys movie, if done well. That's why I'm still waiting for some forward-thinking studio exec (an oxymoron, I know), to finally film Niven and Pournelle's Footfall.

But as it's been twenty years since publication, I'll most likely be waiting for a good, long time...

Smileycat

The Punk Cat
Registered
Reaction score

I hate MR's role in LOST, but I liked her in Avatar. I would, however, prefer Moon Bloodgood... (dreams...)

I see. Still, it wasn't her fault.

Smileycat

The Punk Cat
Registered
Reaction score
I lurrrve me a good space guys vs Earth guys movie, if done well. That's why I'm still waiting for some forward-thinking studio exec (an oxymoron, I know), to finally film Niven and Pournelle's Footfall.

But as it's been twenty years since publication, I'll most likely be waiting for a good, long time...

Hi, Gravity. I haven't read Footfall, even though I really like Larry Niven (Ringworld). I should read it, so thanks for the recommendation.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I loved Footfall...but I really want to see someone take on Harry Turtledove's "World War" Series, where WWII is interrupted by the sudden arrival of an alien battlefleet.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
You're right, Zoombie, that's a great series. Turtledove has practically cornered the market for alt-history; add to that the fact he's darn near as prolific as Asimov, and I believe he's going to be producing good stuff for years to come.

Grrarrgh

Not so new, not so much a kid
Registered
Reaction score

My opinion of MR was worsened by Lost, but I've disliked her since the original The Fast and the Furious, which is the first time I can remember seeing her. In an otherwise mediocre movie, she managed to stand out in her wooden "I'm-a-badass-and-I'll-fuck-up-anyone-who-forgets-it" acting. Blech.

Which is too bad for Battle: LA, because I thought it looked interesting. Who knows, maybe one day when it's out on DVD or instant streaming somewhere, I'll check it out. I managed to get through Avatar. :)

PrincessofPersia

Registered
Reaction score
I don't really have a negative opinion of her. She's just in every friggin' alien movie there is now. It kind of makes it hard to think of her as the character rather than herself.

PAH13

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
My opinion of MR was worsened by Lost, but I've disliked her since the original The Fast and the Furious, which is the first time I can remember seeing her. In an otherwise mediocre movie, she managed to stand out in her wooden "I'm-a-badass-and-I'll-fuck-up-anyone-who-forgets-it" acting. Blech.

Which is too bad for Battle: LA, because I thought it looked interesting. Who knows, maybe one day when it's out on DVD or instant streaming somewhere, I'll check it out. I managed to get through Avatar. :)

I am absolutely with you. I've disliked her since the original The Fast and the Furious too. I don't feel like she's acting at all. If she played anything other than the same character in everything she's in, then maybe I would change my mind a little. Until then, I hope that her character gets killed off early and if not early at least at some point in any movie/show I see that she's in.