• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Heliand Publishing Corp.

TeddyG

The Other Shoe Will Fall!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.virginisrael.com
Posted in Non Paying Markets...Maybe here is better...

Hope this helps

Don't know if this is truly legit or not...but thought i would pass it on...

Heliand Publishing http://www.heliandpublishing.com
is accepting on line stories for possible publication...they put them up on-line first if they accept the story..

Place seems legit and it the Publisher also seems fairly professional...

Below is some text I copied from the site....so you can decide..if you want to submit or not

I really cannot tell you much more, other than I submitted as well and they put it on-line as well...(and no comments about if they put my short story on line..then what can you expect!!!!!!!)

Teddy
Literary Fantasy:

Literary Fantasy is literature that captures the traditional elements of fantasy writing. This includes, but is not limited to, using fantasy races (elves, dwarves, orcs, goblins, dragons, etc.). Traditional fantasy also encapsulates the ability to create new races. Other elements that are important to fantasy are as follows: magic, priests, rangers, thieves, fighters, etc. Literary Fantasy is more then using these elements to create a narrative. It is using these elements to create stories that embody all that literature portrays.
Modern Mythology:

Modern Mythology narratives express contemporary myths associated with the origin, history, deity, ancestors and heroes of a group of people. These narratives can relate to any modern or ancient group of people. The idea is to create new myths about a group of people or give a modern take on old myths. Modern Mythology should be original, not merely the repeating of old myths.
Religious/Spiritual Literature:

Religious/Spiritual Literature investigates, critiques, and/or looks deep into the religious and spiritual tendencies, traditions, practices and beliefs of any religious or spiritual sect. This ranges from formal religions to individual spiritual involvement. This genre also includes the investigation and critique of religious and spiritual concepts (redemption, sin, closeness to deity, etc.).
Medieval Literature:

Medieval Literature consists of narratives that hold true to the beliefs, myths, and historical perception of the medieval era. These narratives can be literary non-fiction about actual people from medieval times or original stories set in medieval times. Original medieval literature has its own style and is a genre in itself. These narratives can also try to capture those original elements.
Psychological Literature:

Psychological Literature investigates the psyche of an individual. This genre is interested in looking at what goes on in the mind and psyche of the person. This includes everyone from drug addicts to household moms, homeless people to presidents, murders to priests, and everyone in between.
Teddy

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Everything about this screams "unprofessional" to me, from the contradictory and incoherent literary definitions, to this:
We are in the process of collecting short stories that we will post on the web for free. This will help authors to get their name and work known.
Ah...no it won't, and in the meantime, Heliand gets to publish stuff for free.

Most ominously, there's this:
In spring 2006, Heliand Publishing will take a collection of the best short stories that have been posted on the web and publish them into an anthology.
Any guesses as to the mode of publication (POD) or the main retail market (the authors and their friends)?

- Victoria

TeddyG

The Other Shoe Will Fall!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.virginisrael.com
As I said I cannot vouch for anything at Heliand...

I was sent to the site by a friend, and just submitted a short story written years ago.

I have no clue if they are "professional" or just "fly by night"
Don't know where they came from or where they are going to...

Just saw a lead and passed it on...

Dont have a clue if they will publish POD or normative as well...

It really, to be honest, with this specific story, did not overly concern me...

Again, as I said, I cannot vouch for anything about them...

Teddy

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Aha! I'll add this to the Index.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
There's a few short stories posted, but neither site nor blog have been otherwise updated. The most recent activity is this WritingForums post in 2007. I'm calling dead.