Getting an e-mail address to query to?

ShannonC_77

Registered
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've posted on here as I've been really busy with other things but I want to try really hard in the next few months to finally break the mental barrier I've had and query a few different magazines.

When looking at the writer's guidelines in Writer's Market I often see 'query by mail', but I've read in other places that you can still e-mail queries even if it says this and often that's best anyway.

So my question is if the e-mail address is not listed in Writer's Market, do you just call the number listed and ask what the assigning editor's e-mail is?

I just want to make sure I do it right so I don't make a fool of myself. :) Any advice would be great.

PinkAmy

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
No, don't bug the agents on the phone. I would check querytracker.com - you can email queries directly from there. If the agent doesn't accept email queries, it won't be listed. Otherwise you can go directly to the agent's website for their email address.

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Shannon!

For magazines, it's fine to call and check. You can also ask what editor handles the department/subject area you want to query.

A few other "cheats" to help you along:

If you know the editor's name you want to query (check the masthead), you can often figure out their email address if you have the email formula for that particular company.

Some cheats for common parent companies:

firstname.lastname (at) rodale.com
firstname.lastname (at) meredith.com
firstinitiallast (at) hearst.com
firstname_lastname (at) condenast.com

Another common formula for smaller mags:

firstname (at) company.com

You can often find the e-mail formula online (check the advertising section of the website and the online media kit).

Another cheat: I belong to a free service called Gorkana that e-mails updates about which editors have moved, resigned or accepted new positions (you'll find newspaper and magazine editors move around A LOT). If I see ANY editor at a publication I might ever want to write for on the list, I write down the e-mail formula for that company.

There are lots of other little tricks you'll learn as you go along.

Good luck!

Last edited:

ShannonC_77

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for both of the replies - those cheats are very helpful. :) It would be much easier e-mailing these off compared to always mailing so this will definitely be my preferred method.

Thanks again.

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely! A lot of mag writers I know query only by e-mail these days.

If the guidelines or editor insist on snail mail queries, you can query by post, then follow up by e-mail in 2-3 weeks (include a copy of the query in the body of your e-mail).

Some writers will query by e-mail even when guidelines/eds say otherwise, but as a relative newbie, I haven't been brave enough to try this.

E-queries can easily get lost in the shuffle, so be sure to follow up if you don't hear back from the editor.

Good luck!