What would you do?

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to decide whether or not to keep working for a certain editor/publication. I do need the money, but I'm not happy with some of the things he's been doing and I'm hoping some other freelance writers can give me their opinions of what has been happening. Family members don't really understand this kind of situation, but I think other writers can relate.

First, he asked me to try to find my own story ideas for this publication. (Before, he would give me assignments.) So, of course, I started hunting for appropriate story ideas. I pitched a few ideas. One of them he said was better suited for another one of his writers(it was in the arts/theater field), so basically he took it away from me! Hmm. I'm supposed to come up with my own story ideas, I did so, and then he gives it to another writer.

Second, he asked me in an email if I would like to write a weekly business profile story. I wrote back saying yes, I would be interested. He turned around and said he'd forgotten he has another writer who has a lot of experience in that kind of article, so never mind about that. What? Why ask me to do something and then take it back?

Third, he asked me to write a certain special feature for each week. He wasn't very specific about what I had to do, but gave me a general idea in an email. (Or let's say I thought I had the right idea of what to write, but basically I was winging it.) Since I wasn't sure if I was doing it right, I gave him TWO different pieces to choose from. I had a deadline and had to do it quickly. That Wednesday I found that he had not used either one of my pieces. And he did not bother to contact me to tell me why not. So that meant I did NOT get paid for my work. I could only assume I didn't get it right. How can I fix something if I don't know I need to fix it?

These are a few of my concerns. I'd like to know what other writers think about these things? Is he just forgetful? Absent-minded?

What do you think about a writer pitching a story idea and then having the editor give it to someone else?

mshaw2268

Registered
Reaction score
Website
itsjustmarty.blogspot.com
"I pitched a few ideas. One of them he said was better suited for another one of his writers(it was in the arts/theater field), so basically he took it away from me!"

Personally, I think you got shafted. If the other writer was better suited for it, then why didn't that writer come up with the idea in the first place? You should have at least been given the chance to show what you can do.

Too many squirrely moves for my comfort.

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
I think I personally wouldn't waste my time there anymore. You coming up with ideas only for someone else to use and then being offered something and having it taken away. Too absent-minded for my liking.

Zola

Registered
Reaction score
Taking your idea and giving it to someone else is really bad. The other stuff is annoying but probably just reflective of someone disorganized and unreliable.

You could talk to him and say that in the future you are only pitching ideas for yourself. Explain you need to make a living like anyone else and can't invest significant time in coming up with ideas for stories if you are going to end up receiving no compensation. On the same note, you would appreciate more clear and specific communication on what it is he is looking for in stories so that you can invest your time wisely and in a way that is beneficial to you and the publication.

I would definitely try to talk to him before just giving up the jobs. Maybe he is better on phone than over email for getting a timely response?

If talking to him doesn't change his behavior, you could start diverting some of your time to searching for other work - that way you can slowly stop writing for them as you find new work.

GradyHendrix

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
I would walk, and not have the conversation. Freelance writing is so hard because the work to reward ratio is so low. The time you spend on this outlet is time where you're not making money from another outlet, and I would guess that any attempt to "clear the air" would just be a waste of time and may make you seem whiny.

I'd just stop pitching them, and if he misses you enough he'll come calling. Then you can ask for a kill fee!

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I appreciate it.

The editor ended up using one of the ideas I came up with for that column, but only paid me half-price. My biggest gripe really is the lack of communication. I'm not a mind reader.

I'm looking around for other freelancing situations and office jobs that will give me a regular paycheck I can count on. The flip flopping is driving me crazy.

Lil

Registered
Reaction score
I would talk to the editor. He may not realize he's being unclear, and there may be other things going on. I was once working on a publication along with several other freelancers and we would have meetings where people tossed up ideas and frequently they were ideas they didn't want to do themselves but thought someone else might be interested in. The editor may be accustomed to that type of arrangement.

But if you do decide to quit, definitely give notice and make sure you have completed any assignments. Anything else would be unprofessional and could come back to bite you in the future.

GregS

Registered
Reaction score
The guy sounds more incompetent than malicious. I would talk to him, express your concerns in a professional manner, and let him respond. If he's a schmuck you can always quit later.

Regardless, moving forward, I would be much more protective of your interests.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
I would expect to be asked if that was ok before my idea was handed over. Taking with out the owners consent is theft. If I gave my consent if would be on the proviso that I was acknowledged - that is that under the title of the story it said: based on an idea by...

I think you are being taken advantage of and would seriously look around for other work.

Ulee_Lhea

Fear no darkness.
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh! How unprofessional of this guy.

How important is this job to you? Does it pay well? Is it worth the hassle?

Unless it's quite lucrative or giving you amazing clips or exposure, I'd "fire" this client and use the time to look for better paying work with lower PITA factor.

If you write for him on a freelance basis in the future, get a contract for each piece you write, ideally one that includes a kill fee and pays on acceptance. This will protect you from situations where he asks you to write something -- then decides on a whim not to pay you.

If he won't do a contract, at least get him to agree to your terms by e-mail.

Overall though, doesn't sound worth the time and energy. There are many clients out there willing to pay a skilled writer well. Use your time and energy finding them instead of writing for this guy.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Bushrat

reaching for the sun
Registered
Reaction score
He sounds like he's just flying by the seat of his pants. I'd see that I get a personal meeting with him, or, if he's in a different town, a phone date to talk this over.

As for your ideas getting used by somebody else - depending on what it's about, you might be able to avoid this by giving only a very general outline to the editor so that if he does want to farm it out to someone else, you haven't supplied him with names, resources and all the nitty gritty details.