• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Obsidian Mountain Publishing / Revolution Publishing

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Obsidian's website says that it's not open for submissions.

Revolution Publishing says that it's actively searching for titles via forums. That's not normal and is enough to make me wary.

Both companies only seem to have been set up in 2010. Give it at least 2 years and then see if they're still going and what their authors think of them.

MM

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From the OMP website:
Formed in 2010, Obsidian Mountain Publishing is challenging the traditional publishing process. At this time, we are not accepting submissions.

Which made me LOL. Yup, if they don't accept submissions, then that does challenge the traditional process! It's pretty hard to publish, traditionally or not, if you don't have any books to publish.

But since the Revolution website is registered to one of the OMP authors, it would appear that Revolution is a self publisher.

Nice cover art.

From the RP website:
Revolution Publishing is the sister publisher to Obsidian Mountain Publishing. ...The difference between Revolution and Obsidian is that we actively seek authors, wishing to find the best and brightest.
So, Revolution seeks authors, while Obsidian does not seek authors or accept submissions. Revelation is the non-self-publishing-arm of the self publisher OMP, I guess.

Revolution isn’t about the money—we are about inspiring and motivating writers.
Revolution isn't a publisher, then, IMO. It's a cheerleading outfit. I as a writer don't want my publisher to inspire me. I want them to sell my books and make me some money.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
We see a lot of self-published authors who decide they're going to be real publishers. It's technically known as "compounding the error."

eleniandthecards

What are capers made from?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elenialexandraki.blogspot.com
Things I do know about these companies: when I did email them about their staff, I did not get a reply, which tells me that there might be something shady going on. I'd like to know who is doing what, what are their references, what are their qualifications, etc. Until they begin to list their staff on their website, I'd suggest not trying to query them.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Revolution site isn't coming up for me. Could be a temporary glurp, although I note the last cache shows it un-updated since '12. Amazon lists one book for '13, by owner.

Updating link for Obsidian: http://www.obsidianmtpublishing.com/

ETA: Revolution definitely gone now, although did publish several books through '14.

Last edited: