Buy books by AWers

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Obsidian Mountain Publishing / Revolution Publishing

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Obsidian Mountain Publishing / Revolution Publishing

I searched but could not find a thread for Obsidian Mountain Publishing or its imprint Revolution Publishing. Please forgive me if this is a repost.

Does anyone have any experience/know anything about them?

Tired and Disillusioned Momento Mori's Avatar
    Obsidian's website says that it's not open for submissions.

Revolution Publishing says that it's actively searching for titles via forums. That's not normal and is enough to make me wary.

Both companies only seem to have been set up in 2010. Give it at least 2 years and then see if they're still going and what their authors think of them.

MM

but appreciated anyway... Unimportant's Avatar
    From the OMP website:
    Formed in 2010, Obsidian Mountain Publishing is challenging the traditional publishing process. At this time, we are not accepting submissions.
    Which made me LOL. Yup, if they don't accept submissions, then that does challenge the traditional process! It's pretty hard to publish, traditionally or not, if you don't have any books to publish.

But since the Revolution website is registered to one of the OMP authors, it would appear that Revolution is a self publisher.

Nice cover art.

From the RP website:
    Revolution Publishing is the sister publisher to Obsidian Mountain Publishing. ...The difference between Revolution and Obsidian is that we actively seek authors, wishing to find the best and brightest.
    So, Revolution seeks authors, while Obsidian does not seek authors or accept submissions. Revelation is the non-self-publishing-arm of the self publisher OMP, I guess.

Revolution isnĺt about the moneyŚwe are about inspiring and motivating writers.
    Revolution isn't a publisher, then, IMO. It's a cheerleading outfit. I as a writer don't want my publisher to inspire me. I want them to sell my books and make me some money.

Hagiographically Advantaged AW Moderator HapiSofi's Avatar
    We see a lot of self-published authors who decide they're going to be real publishers. It's technically known as "compounding the error."
    Winner of the Best Drycleaner on the Block Award.

What are capers made from? eleniandthecards's Avatar
    Things I do know about these companies: when I did email them about their staff, I did not get a reply, which tells me that there might be something shady going on. I'd like to know who is doing what, what are their references, what are their qualifications, etc. Until they begin to list their staff on their website, I'd suggest not trying to query them.
    'Concepts create idols; only wonder grasps anything.' -Gregory of Nyssa
    'It is not in the fall that we fail; it is failing to pick ourselves back up again that we fail.

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017:

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    Revolution site isn't coming up for me. Could be a temporary glurp, although I note the last cache shows it un-updated since '12. Amazon lists one book for '13, by owner.

Updating link for Obsidian: http://www.obsidianmtpublishing.com/

ETA: Revolution definitely gone now, although did publish several books through '14.
    Last edited by CaoPaux; 05-05-2016 at 11:30 PM. Reason: updating w/o bumping
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II 2016: 2017: