Status
Not open for further replies.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I ordered mine on Sunday and got an email this morning to say they were being shipped. OK, they might take a total of 21 days to arrive, but it's still quicker than I expected.

Dodge

Sparks fly off my pages!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dodgewinston.com
I've been using vistaprint for quite awhile now... for biz cards, promotional cards, banners... everything and not all for books.

Anyways my experience with them has been positive.

I really like the fact that I can design my own card online with any pic/font/color/placement. It's a very fun process and I've made some impressionable cards:)

Deleted member 42

Some things to keep in mind about business cards, from the pov of someone who has been enormously frustrated by them, on more than one occasion.

1. Fancy foil cards can't be scanned--lots of people who receive hundreds of cards in a year use a card scanner to enter the data into a database for contacts. You'd be surprised by how common this is.

2. Don't use type smaller than 10 pts. casually--a lot of people can't read type that small, and if your email address is tiny you may never get the promised email.

3. Keep the back of the card blank, and easy to write on; it's very common to turn a business card over to jot a short reminder note--like "Email tomorrow to ask for a full ms. Super story about Ethel the Pirate's daughter and her dog."

4. Don't put your phone number on the card if you don't have someone to take calls for you--there are people who *sell your number*. This is also not as uncommon as I'd like it to be. Write the number on by hand if you give the card to someone you think will have a genuine use for it.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
I bought 500 from Vistaprint, and have 2 spam emails for each card.

Still, they were practically free, and they gave me a useless metal holder, too! :tongue

Splendad

Correcting a man? Be right.
Registered
Reaction score
East, northeast, or southest of you, probably
Website
wordsrock.blogspot.com
Fancy foil cards can't be scanned--lots of people who receive hundreds of cards in a year use a card scanner to enter the data into a database for contacts. You'd be surprised by how common this is.

I was thinking of getting some of the metal or wooden cards (maybe 20 or 30 to give to people who can make things happen vs. just promo-types to give potential fans a way to look you up). Doesn't have the desired effect, I'm hearing?

Deleted member 42

I was thinking of getting some of the metal or wooden cards (maybe 20 or 30 to give to people who can make things happen vs. just promo-types to give potential fans a way to look you up). Doesn't have the desired effect, I'm hearing?

Really, no.

Were I you, I'd concentrate on getting people to read and review your book.

Lots of book bloggers out there.

Don't spend money until you make money, and don't discount your time.

Splendad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wordsrock.blogspot.com
One more question and I'll let this thread rest as it probably should; my preferred design for business cards involves dark-colored backgrounds (like black or dark grey) with light-colored (white or bright yellow) text. Do business card readers/scanners have trouble with this?

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I bought 500 from Vistaprint, and have 2 spam emails for each card.

Still, they were practically free, and they gave me a useless metal holder, too! :tongue

I got mine from Vistaprint yesterday. They're simple on the front (name, email, mobile and blog) and blank on the back. I didn't get a metal holder, though. :cry:

Splendad

Registered
Reaction score
Website
wordsrock.blogspot.com
What is easter con? I'm gonna start a new thread (unless an admin thinks it's not necessary) to review specific promo items from specific companies. I ordered from several today and I'm waiting for the items but it's more than just biz cards (got pens, mugs, stickers, stamps, etc.).

Jettica

Superfluously multisyllabic
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jetink.blogspot.com
Vista print are okay if you are willing to pay for the cards. The free thing they do is just a waste of time.

My current business cards are from MOO. They're great. Although I think I'd go with a local printer next time. Not much difference in price plus they can make them look all snazzy and I'm promoting local business!

FocusOnEnergy

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
focusonenergy.wordpress.com
Since I have designed business cards for other people as part of my livelihood (see also stationery, logos, etc.), I also design (and print) my own. As long as you get the "good" cardstock, and print on laser instead of inkjet, you can do your own good quality cards. I like being able to change the design periodically. That way, too, if a number or address changes, I can look at the cards and know which ones are out of date.

My current cards have my blog address, facebook link, email and office phone number.

Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.