Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Downloading AVG for free?

Cool Downloading AVG for free?

I've tried downloading AVG 8.5 on the official AVG website. This site says it's for free, but apparently only on a 30 day trial. However, I've been informed that it's (free w/ no strings attached) out there, just that I'm not hitting the right link.

So, I tried other approaches and the second time it supposedly cleaned up some viruss, but wanted my credit card info to continued cleaning.

Can someone give me the exact web address or steer me in the right direction on downloading this program?

All comments welcome.

DKM

Mostly Harmless SuperModerator CaoPaux's Avatar
    ICAO
    ---------
    Achievers strive for excellence. Perfectionists drive themselves to extinction. -- A Grapple A Day
    I've never known any trouble that an hour's reading didn't assuage. -- Charles DeSecondat

II2014: 2015:

It will constantly ask you if you want to buy, but you have to find the little "No, thanks, I want free" link and click it.

Or you can do the 30 day trial and still have free after the trial is over. It pesters you constantly to buy, though, but since it's free, I can't blame them.

You can also go to cnet and download it there.

or you can use avast

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says: RJK's Avatar
    Or, if you have legal copies of all your Microsoft programs, you can download Microsoft Security Essentials for free. It's one of the best AV programs and doesn't try to sell you anything.

practical experience, FTW Emerson's Avatar
    Yeah, I'll give another recommendation for Microsoft Security Essentials. It's free, does the job, and doesn't bother me unless it's necessary.

of course you can always switch to ubuntu and then you wont need to install virus protection.

we are the words 'i love you' kuwisdelu's Avatar
    Sounds like nagware.

Freeware: always free, never bothers you.
    Nagware: pretty much free for all its features, but may make things slightly inconvenient by constantly asking you to buy or donate.
    Shareware: free for a limited time, but forces you to buy if you want to keep using it (and becomes useless otherwise).
    (a blog.) ...last updated 15 June 2015

Wow! Thanks everyone. In this harsh world, it is reassuring to see a helping hand.

DKM

Cultus Gopherus MacAllister SuperModerator Medievalist's Avatar
    Do keep in mind that anti-virus programs often do not play well with each other, so don't download and install all of 'em.

AW Admin
    About.Me
    AWers On Twitter
    Lisa L. Spangenberg
    My opinions are my own. | Who else would want them?

I would recommend Avast. I changed over from AVG and have not been disappointed.
    2015 AW POETRY CONTEST -- SPACE...(It's happening NOW, folks!)

"Hmmm .... Duchess after much thought you are clearly the Tribal Sage." Neporsche, Tribal Scribe

“Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children.” –Khalil Gibran

Superfluously multisyllabic Jettica's Avatar
    I went from AVG to Avast but then discovered Microsoft Security Essentials so I'll give that a third recommendation. Doesn't slow down your computer, runs in the background. Very good.
    Sanctuary - 100k - Planning for a complete rewrite
    Heat of the moment - 30k - First draft stage - on hold.

JetInk - My writing blog full of inspiration, misery, words and general writing-based ramblings.
    Fashion Blog -- Twitter

In a townhouse over looking the tumble weed fields.

Smile

I'm going to pop in here at the risk of getting rotten tomatoes thrown at me, but Microsoft Security Essentials isn't that great.

I had MSE and a virus pretending to be an antimalware and antivirus program, penetrated my computer. I couldn't go passed go. My computer was held hostage.

After I got the virus taken care of, I switched to AVG and I had one penetration. I think that was my fault though and clicked something I shouldn't have. After that, I've been free of virus related problems.

Different people will recommend different antivirus programs, but Kaspersky, AVG, and Avast seem to be on the top. Talk to a computer expert and see what they recommend.

Wounded I sing, tormented I indite. — Victor Herbert (1859-1924)

figuring it all out
    Hello. Probably first post. Signed up ages ago, can't remember if I've posted anywhere else. But felt I should post since I didn't see this bit of the original post get addressed:

Quote Originally Posted by DKM View Post
    So, I tried other approaches and the second time it supposedly cleaned up some viruss, but wanted my credit card info to continued cleaning.
    Legitimate programs should not do this. Those programs that do are usually scams/spyware that will take your credit card information and then load viruses *onto* your system, not remove them.

See this link for a news item on a scam specifically involving a piece of malware using AVG's logo:

http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/fa...real-av-020111

Anyway, just thought I'd mention it.
    Last edited by Gilead; 03-05-2011 at 08:18 PM.
    "Not even in the face of Armageddon. Never compromise." -- Rorschach, Alan Moore's Watchmen.

practical experience, FTW Val367's Avatar
    Hi there

As someone who works in IT can I throw in some advice please .

Avast, AVG and even MS Security Essentials are all ok. Just ok though.

I've worked on other people's PCs for years and over the last 12 months especially, I've noticed that the Malware and Adware are becoming more of an issue than the viruses.

While Avast, AVG and MSE (the free versions) will pick up most viruses, they really struggle with Malware and Adware.

There are a number of products around that will stop viruses and malware/adware but they all cost money. The average cost here in Australia is around the $100 mark for your Symantec (/shudder - pls never buy this), McAfee, Trend etc. The only one that I've found that was reasonably priced was Kaspersky Internet Security Suite for $39 for 12 months.

I use it myself and recommend it to all my users after I fix their machines. Funnily enough I have never been called back to a site that has started using Kaspersky but I have had to go back to other users who wanted to still with the 'free' AV programs. I guess they were happy to pay $120/hour for me to get rid of the viruses and malware .

Thats my 2c and like all free advice - you're welcome to do with it as you will.

Cheers
    Val

Let's see what's on special today.. Bufty's Avatar
    I used AVG Free with no issues for the last three years but today deleted it and downloaded Microsoft Security Solutions instead.

Reason?

Other thread below this re Virus on Optical Drive Issue which was a pain in the butt and I couldn't be bothered fiddling about every time I wanted to play the game concerned.

The game loads satisfactorily now - touch wood.
    Everything yields to treatment.

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says: RJK's Avatar
    I use Microsoft Security Essentials plus I've installed the pay version of Malwarebytes. With both programs running, wmv and webpages open a little slower, but Malwarebytes has caught a number of malicious sites, saving me from big problems.

I'm pretty sure Malwarebytes runs first followed by MSE, so I'm not sure if MSE would have caught the malware sites. IMHO, the slight loss in speed is well worth the security I've enjoyed since I've installed the anti-malware program. It was well worth the $25 investment.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    I stopped using AVG because it used more resources than Avast. Avast has daily updates and the active scan doesn't use much system resources. Using a combination of that and PeerBlock I seem to never seem to have any problems as PeerBlock helps with the spy/malware.

practical experience, FTW
    Bostonian in Baltimore via Chicago and DC
    Quote Originally Posted by RJK View Post
    Or, if you have legal copies of all your Microsoft programs, you can download Microsoft Security Essentials for free. It's one of the best AV programs and doesn't try to sell you anything.

This.

I hate microsoft as a whole, but MSE is so much better than anything else on the market. It finds more, it doesn't use as much resources, it doesn't break as many things. Its just a very nice product.

Quote Originally Posted by Calliopenjo View Post
    After I got the virus taken care of, I switched to AVG and I had one penetration. I think that was my fault though and clicked something I shouldn't have. After that, I've been free of virus related problems.

Different people will recommend different antivirus programs, but Kaspersky, AVG, and Avast seem to be on the top. Talk to a computer expert and see what they recommend.

I am a security guy. MSE is really good. Much better than Kaspersky, AVG, or Avast. We're on MSE because we kept having issues with things getting through on Avast and AVG.