Another writing podcast, and an interesting episode

Reaction score
The Author's Access podcast might not be produced to the most professional standards (the voice quality is awful), but the content is excellent.

I found one episode with an interview with Victoria Strauss, co-founder of Writer Beware (http://www.writerbeware.org/). She discusses scams in the publishing industry and how these affect writers.

http://www.authorsaccess.com/market...emes-scams-and-pitfalls-that-threaten-writers

The most interesting thing in there, for me, was her assertion that many purported scams are not scams at all, but rather incidents where the writer's expectations were too high even though the publisher was clear in saying what the writer's expectations should be. I was surprised that she did not come down on vanity publishers very hard, however.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
She is actually a member here, as well. I've always found her to be very even-handed, even discussing when something isn't a scam but is a bad idea regardless. Especially in those situations where a "publisher" isn't actually scammy but simply gormless, which happens more than one might think. Of course the result is probably the same.

quickreaver

Neo-beatnik, drab but hip
Registered
Reaction score
Any other podcasts you guys can recommend? I've got "Writing Excuses" and "I Should Be Writing" on my playlist...

shelleyo

Just another face in a red jumpsuit
Registered
Reaction score
The Dead Robots' Society -- Justin Macumber, Terry Mixon and newcomer-to-the-cast Eliyanna Kaiser talk about their works-in-progress, writing in general and similar topics at length. They also interview authors and sometimes have roundtable discussions with many.

The Reading and Writing Podcast -- Jeff Rutherford interviews published authors, discusses their projects and always asks them what advice they'd give to a new writer. Even when I have no idea who the author is, I've enjoyed these.

Dragon Page--click the link there for Cover to Cover -- Michael Stackpole and Michael Mennega talk mostly about publishing (and mostly about e-publishing these days and the demise of the Old Ways), rarely about writing, with interviews of published authors. Some of those are brilliant and well worth a listen. If you're interested in e-publishing, it's a don't miss since Michael Stackpole's been at the front of that charge for a long time.

Michael Stackpole's archived The Secrets podcasts
-- These are old, some are missing. It's still great writing advice, especially for beginners.

Shelley