• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's the difference between using ... and --?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwannabepublished

working hard - hard at work?
Banned
Reaction score
When I am writing dialogue, I often use ... (ellipsis) to indicate the character is searching for a word or briefly pausing for some reason. Or simply to show that a word or words were for some reason omitted. I use a dash at the end of a bit of dialogue to show the character was interrupted or that he wanted to leave a thought in the middle, without completing it.

"I ... ah ... I guess I'll try that."

"If I see you reach for that again I'll -"
or
"That guy is the ugliest person I've -"
"You're crazy, he's gorgeous!""

Some people tell me I should only use ellipsis and never a dash.

Is this correct?

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I use dashes for interrupted speech and ellipses for trailing off. Dashes "feel" more immediate to me.

"He's a, you know..."

"Don't you da-"

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
It depends a lot on personal preference. I use both, though I generally lean towards dashes thanks to working with some theatre. In playwriting, ellipse could be an undeterminedably long pause. If you want a brief pause, the dash works better. A person's train of thought or sentence is being cut off, interupted.

Now, when it comes to a single dash versus two dashes (- or --) I'm not so sure what the difference is.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Some people tell me I should only use ellipsis and never a dash.

Is this correct?
Odd advice. Em-dash (two hyphens, -- ) to show dialogue interruption, and ellipsis ... to pause for thought or trail off, is pretty standard....

-Derek

Splendad

Correcting a man? Be right.
Registered
Reaction score
East, northeast, or southest of you, probably
Website
wordsrock.blogspot.com
It depends a lot on personal preference. I use both, though I generally lean towards dashes thanks to working with some theatre. In playwriting, ellipse could be an undeterminedably long pause. If you want a brief pause, the dash works better. A person's train of thought or sentence is being cut off, interupted.

Now, when it comes to a single dash versus two dashes (- or --) I'm not so sure what the difference is.

Single dash is to separate a compound word, like ultra-light, while double is considered as pause/interruption. I commonly use two sets of -- in a sentence to separate a central statement from the beginning and end, such as, "I really like chocolate ice cream--as unfriendly as it is for my belly--because if you decide not to eat all of it, it's fun to throw it at a white chalkboard and watch it leave brown trails."

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
An ellipsis is used when the voice trails off or to indicate a long pause in the dialogue. "I don't know..."

An em dash is used when the voice is cut off, ie--an interruption.

So yes, you're using them correctly.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Odd advice. Em-dash (two hyphens, -- ) to show dialogue interruption, and ellipsis ... to pause for thought or trail off, is pretty standard....

-Derek

This is how I use them.

SBibb

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sbibb.wordpress.com
Single dash is to separate a compound word, like ultra-light, while double is considered as pause/interruption. I commonly use two sets of -- in a sentence to separate a central statement from the beginning and end, such as, "I really like chocolate ice cream--as unfriendly as it is for my belly--because if you decide not to eat all of it, it's fun to throw it at a white chalkboard and watch it leave brown trails."

Ah hah, thank you.

iwannabepublished

working hard - hard at work?
Banned
Reaction score
An ellipsis is used when the voice trails off or to indicate a long pause in the dialogue. "I don't know..."

An em dash is used when the voice is cut off, ie--an interruption.

So yes, you're using them correctly.

Mscelina,

Thank you. Your confirmation and my own sense of dialogue, plus everything I've read, makes me feel very comfortable following this usage.

By the way, I don't know if other word processing programs work like MS Word 2010, but when I type a single dash followed by a carriage return (is that too old fashion? now it's just pressing enter) the program automatically generates a longer dash, that looks much more appropriate than two dashes. Of course, I have to go back and add the close quote.

Last edited:

Victoria

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Crap! Now I have go back and em dash half my ellipsis! See, this is why I love this site. Questions I didn't even know I had get answered. Fantesticular!

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
Although I suppose there are technical rules on when to use an em dash and when an ellipsis, I think as long as you're consistent in their use within your book you'll be fine.

Personally, I use an em dash for a pause or a hesitation, and an ellipsis to show stuttering, being cut off, or trailing off.

Also, I love the word fantesticular, so thanks, Victoria.

LadyLex

Registered
Reaction score
I am glad I saw this thread. I was wondering when to use --. I find myself always leaning toward '...'.

Status
Not open for further replies.