September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
Hi all,

A have been writing a novel for a couple of months and had a title in mind. I had looked it up on the Library of Congress link to see if there were any books out there with the same title. There weren't and I was getting more excited.

Today I thought I'd go and check to see if the website name was open. I thought, even if the novel is not ready for a year, I'd like to own the url name. And lo and behold.... it is a DVD movie that came out this year!

Usually I never even think of a title until after a story is done. But this particular one had a certain significance and I really liked it. And it fit my story perfect.

Since no one knows the book yet....I suppose the best thing to do is to hold off on giving it a title until I'm done and then see if something else seems to fit perfectly. But I hate to do that. I really was excited about my story title..... "September Skies" (and my name on here) :confused: And the DVD is a prayer video ..... NOTHING like my story which deals with love, lust and betrayal.

I guess the early bird gets the worm. But what happens when this bird has been around for awhile? It's not like you can pre-register the title. I guess next time I'll check the URL from the start.

What to do?
September Skies (or do I change my name here too?)

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
Ooh, that's too bad.

I'd keep the title, especially if it works, and come up with something else that works. You can always ask your publisher/agent. If they seem to think it's an issue, then change it. But if it's a prayer movie../how many people are actually going to make the connection?

Reaction score
There's no copyright on book titles though, so there's nothing to stop you keeping it. It may be some time before the book comes out, by which time this DVD film may have faded from people's memories.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's the editor's job to let you know if your title is in use. Especially if it's a prayer movie. I'm not averse to prayer...but these don't tend to be the chart-toppers.

Danger Jane

Registered
Reaction score
They show them to us in CCD sometimes...I think...like once a year or less.

Garpy

keyboard monkey
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.scarrow.dsnet.co.uk
there are books and movies that happen to share the same title. If you do a search on eg: my book 'A Thousand Suns' on amazon.co.uk, you'll find 3 or 4 pages of books wth the same title. It's really only a problem if a book in a similar genre is similarly named

sassandgroove

Sassy haircut
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The way I understand it, and I could be wrong...The content of your book is what is copyrighted, not the title. Same with songs, it's the lyrics, not the title. THat's why there are books with the same title, as well as movies and songs. So keep it, it is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.