• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Rebel Ink Press

staceytg

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am thinking about submitting to Rebel Ink Press. I know there are a few writers there, but they are new and I'd like to know they are good. The website looks decent, but I was curious if anyone had any thoughts.

Here is the url: http://www.rebelinkpress.com/

soulrodeo

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
The only opinion I have is it takes twelve years to load any of the web pages. But maybe it's my computer.

the bunny hugger

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Another romance epublisher. Who is running it?

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Went and looked at their site. The first two things that struck me were:

1. The main page is addressed to authors, not readers. I don't get the feeling they're a vanity press (which, by the way, they categorically deny on that page--not *usually* a good sign). But really, a commercial publisher's job is selling books to readers, so its main page should be its pitch to potential customers (readers), not to suppliers (authors). This is a bit worrisome.

2. Despite their emphasis on editing, there are several punctuation and grammar errors in their website copy.

Overall, it might be wise to wait and see how they do over the next year or so.

Last edited:

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
Rebel Ink Press:
If your title does not sell well within (3) three months of being listed, the price may be reduced. If at the end of (6) six months your title has not sold, Rebel Ink Press may decide to remove the title and all rights would revert to the Author. However, this has not been an issue thus far and is not likely to happen.

This is where I'd want to know exactly what Rebel Ink will do to sell titles. 3 months is not a long time to generate sales, particularly if there's little or no pre-release marketing activity. I'd also want to know how they define "not sold" as a condition to taking the book out of contract.

Rebel Ink Press:
Commission on e-book sales is 30%. Please keep in mind that commission is based off the actual amount that Rebel Ink Press receives and not the listed price. Sales sites such as Amazon Kindle, charge a fee for listing your book with them. If your title is listed for $5.99, Rebel Ink Press may only receive $2.50 for that sale making your commission $0.75.

30% seems a bit low to me, but the romance writers here would have more idea. I'd definitely be leery of this given that Rebel Ink will have the right to reduce the cover price.

Rebel Ink Press:
Rebel Ink Press opened its doors in August of 2010 and has an open submission policy.

It's been going less than 6 months so you should find out what the average sales have been like per author and what marketing and promotion has been done.

Personally, I'd wait for it to be operational for more than 2 years before submitting.

MM

Adobedragon

Registered
Reaction score
Their webpage isn't very reader friendly. The Titles page only shows covers, "dumb" graphics, no links. The main page--About Us--does list retailers where their books are sold. But there's no easy way to browse their book listings. I guess you're supposed to go to the online retailer(s), and browse their listings there. But for someone who is used to Samhain and Loose-Id's way of doing things, this seems a bit....kludgey.

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
I saw a call for submissions for this group, requesting romances featuring men in uniform. Can't find anything on them here or the other main publisher listing sites. Anyone dealt with them?

Rebel Ink Press Announces Special Submissions Call

Heroes/Heroines in Uniform

Rebel Ink Press is looking for stories of all lengths and sub-genres for
Memorial Day 2012 release that feature men and women in uniform.
Military (don't forget the coasties), policemen and women,
paramedics, firefighters, fire jumpers, life flight pilots and nurses,
and any other unique uniformed man or woman you can think of. How about
some Royal Canadian Mounties or a border patrol agent? Get creative,
we're looking for traditional as well as outside the box. Go to:
http://www.rebelink press.com <http://www.rebelink press.com/> for
submissions guidelines. Deadline for this submissions call is February
15, 2012. Isn't it time to get serious…

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Rebel Ink Press is one of five presses that I write for - they are amazing. We have a support team and they do more to promote and publicize my novels than any of the others. The terms of the contract are not so different from any of the other presses that I write for - none of my novels with Rebel have been discounted but one of mine with another press has and not because of sales. Rebel is totally professional in every way.

JDMorgan

Learning More As Life Goes On
Registered
Reaction score
Soo...

So, Rebel Ink IS a decent place to submit to then? Sorry, I'm really confused by all the negative and then positive stuff. I've been trying to read up on the ones I know some of the people on my fb friends list are with and it's truly making my head spin.
I read (above I think) to start with places like Samhain or Loose I'd first but I've had rejections from them so often I'm afraid I just suck. Although, Samhain did say that my work just wasn't the "style" they were looking for but commented that it was a good book so was that just a way of saying I suck nicely?
I kind of thought if I could get some things published with some of the newer pubs, but ones with a good reputation, then at least I'd know AND I could learn a thing or two in editing and such.
Is there possibly a list of "recommended" smaller ones somewhere on this board as I'm lost and becoming depressed with it all already. Self publishing is looking better but it's alot of work from what I've been told. :(
Sorry, just need a little guidance and a whole lot more confidence.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So, Rebel Ink IS a decent place to submit to then? Sorry, I'm really confused by all the negative and then positive stuff. I've been trying to read up on the ones I know some of the people on my fb friends list are with and it's truly making my head spin.

It isn't as simple as good/bad in finding a publisher. There are varying levels of success and not every publisher is a fit for every writer. Some people commented on the website. An author commented on her experience with the publisher. Pretty short thread, so it's hard to draw much conclusion. If you are interested, you'll have to dig deeper.

I read (above I think) to start with places like Samhain or Loose I'd first but I've had rejections from them so often I'm afraid I just suck. Although, Samhain did say that my work just wasn't the "style" they were looking for but commented that it was a good book so was that just a way of saying I suck nicely?
I kind of thought if I could get some things published with some of the newer pubs, but ones with a good reputation, then at least I'd know AND I could learn a thing or two in editing and such.
Is there possibly a list of "recommended" smaller ones somewhere on this board as I'm lost and becoming depressed with it all already. Self publishing is looking better but it's alot of work from what I've been told. :(
Sorry, just need a little guidance and a whole lot more confidence.

Absolutely you should only be submitting to houses where you want to be published. It's tempting to get desperate and start looking for anyone who will have you. Don't.

If you are garnering lots of rejects, time to take a hard look at your writing. You need objective feedback. Think about finding a beta reader or posting in SYW. You may not be ready or there may be other issues that you just don't see. Don't start submitting again until you're satisfied that your manuscript is truly ready.

Spend a significant amount of time researching publishers. This isn't a friday night date. This is a marriage, or at least a roommate for a couple of years. Be sure of your choice and don't submit until you're certain that you really want to be published there.

ETA: And don't get discouraged. Worthwhile things are often not easy. The road to publication is no exception.

Creative_Solitude

All the world's a stage...
Registered
Reaction score
I have a book coming out with Rebel next month and have to say that my experience with them so far has been second to none. They're always accessible and answer every question I ask in a very timely fashion. They keep us authors in the loop about everything going on with frequent updates. I have absolutely no complaints whatsoever about my experience thus far.

HLWampler

Registered
Reaction score
Queried April 24
Offered contract May 13
Talked to contract lawyer May 16
Accepted offer May 17

Last edited:

HLWampler

Registered
Reaction score
I received my cover art from them today. It. Is. Amazing!!!!

ViariRose

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard from the grapevine, that Rebel Ink Press has just released multiple authors from their contracts. Also they've changed their submission guidelines to omit erotic romance.

What surprises me is that Rebel Ink Press is doing this in waves, and the authors aren't saying anything about it.

Last edited:

WolfeMama

Registered
Reaction score
I was an author with Rebel--well I had one title with them. According to their submissions page, they no longer are accepting erotic romance, BDSM, or authors who both self publish and publish with presses (they will still "maybe" consider you).
My story was both erotic, BDSM, and I publish with presses as well as some self-publishing. LOL - I got three strikes. :)

From their website near the bottom as of October 1 2013: We prefer to work with authors that are interested in developing a professional relationship in lieu of self-publishing. While self-publishing can be a worthwhile and enriching endeavor, it is our experience that authors do best with both feet firmly planted in one world or the other, not both. We aren't saying "no" if you happen to self-publish. We're just asking that you mention that in your submission request so we can have an honest conversation about your dreams and goals. It is our utmost desire to start off and stay on the right foot.
http://rebelinkpress.com/submission-info.html

I'm not upset about getting my rights back. The story wasn't selling anyway, so it's nice to have this story filed away now in a folder for my eyes only.

Zoe X. Rider

Registered
Reaction score
Website
zoexrider.tumblr.com
From their website near the bottom as of October 1 2013: We prefer to work with authors that are interested in developing a professional relationship in lieu of self-publishing. While self-publishing can be a worthwhile and enriching endeavor, it is our experience that authors do best with both feet firmly planted in one world or the other, not both. We aren't saying "no" if you happen to self-publish. We're just asking that you mention that in your submission request so we can have an honest conversation about your dreams and goals.

I hadn't heard of them before today, but I don't have to go any further than this to decide whether to add them to my list of publishers to consider submitting to.

I prefer to work with publishers that are hybrid-author friendly. Or, hey, at least not condescending to us. "...so we can have an honest conversation about your dreams and goals." GTFO.

(ETA: Why does the professional relationship with a publisher have to be "in lieu of" self-publishing? I can't have a professional relationship with a publisher and also self-publish separately and have us all benefit? Really? That's just fear talk to my ears.)

Last edited:

Christyp

Lizard Lady
Registered
Reaction score
I was offered a contract a couple of days ago. I'm currently reading through the contract; any authors want to share their experience with them? I've been burned twice already, and not looking for a third!

WolfeMama

Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I'd look elsewhere. I've worked with quite a few publishers. And Rebel ranked low on my scale. Mainly for their editing.