• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Haven Entertainment (formerly Tom Sawyer Entertainment)

para

Registered
Reaction score
Someone called Tara who claims to work for them posted the following message to a livejournal community I'm a member of
Notice to Writers:

Tom Sawyer Entertainment, a full-service management and production company based in Beverly Hills, California, is seeking to represent new writers with an innovative and distinctive voice for its fledgling Young Adult Literature division. We’re looking for engaging, cinematic manuscripts: stories of romance, adventure, and a pinch of danger that honestly reflect the emotional challenges and obstacles of teenage life.

If you have a manuscript you wish to submit for consideration, please send a brief cover letter and log line to removed by para. At this time, Tom Sawyer Entertainment is only interested in books with series potential. We are happy, however, to consider individual manuscripts on the understanding that a sequel(s) is in the works.
Recent books sold by Tom Sawyer Entertainment include Starcrossed, by Josephine Angelini (HarperTeen, 2011), Scream Queen, by Brendan Hay and Nathan Watson (BOOM! Studios, 2009), and Why is Daddy in A Dress? By Amanda McCall and Ben Schwartz (Harper Paperbacks, 2009)
posted here: http://community.livejournal.com/bookfails/243857.html
This isn't a writing community it's a community for reviewing books. Interestingly the OP stops responding after a few people start questioning it.

Google reveals the company is here: http://www.tomsawyerent.com/

Momento Mori

Tired and Disillusioned
Registered
Reaction score
On a quick Google:

Tara's post to LJ:
Recent books sold by Tom Sawyer Entertainment include Starcrossed, by Josephine Angelini (HarperTeen, 2011),

Actually Starcrossed was sold to HarperTeen by Mollie Glick at Foundry Literary and Media, with Tom Sawyer only handling the film/TV rights. Maybe the poster got confused about that.

Can't find any information on who sold Scream Queen by Brendan Hay and Nathan Watson - but the only information linking it to Tom Sawyer is the information provided by Tara and reproduced here.

Apparent Amanda McCall and Ben Schwartz are represented by LJK Literary Management. That's not to say that Tom Sawyer don't handle the TV/film rights (they may very well do) but there's nothing to indicate that they sold the book as claimed by Tara.

I'm not saying anything about Tom Sawyer Entertainment specifically - a quick look on their website suggests track record but I'm not au fait with screen plays and media production. I do wonder though if Tara has got the wrong end of the stick as to what the company does.

MM

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I twittered around. The owner of the company, Rachel Miller, twitters. The tweet is here and the bio says:

Hollywood Insider, Owner of Management/Prod. Co. Tom Sawyer Entertainment. Launching site to help screenwriters and directors break into the industry.
The website/blog(?) URL is in the bio too, which is here called "Show Me the Screenplay." She does have an "about me" page there too. Says she launched the company in 2006. Quite a lot of info on her creds. It does say she branched out into "animation, digital media, publishing and comic book talent. "

There are 3 humor novels listed, two to Harper Collins (Grandma’s Dead: Breaking Bad News with Baby Animals and Why Is Daddy in a Dress: Asking Awkward Questions with Baby Animals ) and one to St. Martin's (Cook to Bang) but I didn't google the stats on those.

So maybe check by her name rather than company? I tried agent query, but I didn't find anything. I'll let one of you who is more versed in that pick up the ball, in case I didn't search it right.

EDIT: and facebook http://www.facebook.com/TomSawyerEnt

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
There are 3 humor novels listed, two to Harper Collins (Grandma’s Dead: Breaking Bad News with Baby Animals and Why Is Daddy in a Dress: Asking Awkward Questions with Baby Animals ) and one to St. Martin's (Cook to Bang) but I didn't google the stats on those.
All sold by LJK Literary Mgmt.