• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Blooming Tree Press

donnai

Registered
Reaction score
In 2008, I received a contract from Blooming Tree Press for my romantic suspense novel. Needless to say, I was thrilled! I forwarded it to Elaine English to review, then contacted the publisher and asked her to consider the few items that Elaine suggested. After 4 months, I e-mailed to check and see if they'd had a chance to review what I'd sent. The suggestions were minor, and if they hadn't wanted to make any changes, I still would have signed it. While waiting for a response, I worked with my editor - it was a somewhat long process as I was working full time and in school, and she was working on her own books. The last time I asked for the status of our contract was December 2009...no response. I finished the edits a year ago. I recently sent the publisher an email formally withdrawing my manuscript as I felt the lack of response meant they were no longer interested in publishing my book. I have submitted to another publisher who is very interested. I realize that business plans change and if they no longer wanted to publish my book, that was fine , but the complete lack of communication is what bothered me.
Is this 'normal' for the industry?

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Is this their website?
http://www.bloomingtreepress.com/

I'm having trouble trying to click through on any of their books.

ETA: Their on-line store says down for maintenance. A check of Amazon shows 37 books available by this publisher, with the bestselling one having a rank of 1,142,056 (that's not good--it means 1,142,055 books are selling better, and that this particular book is probably averaging about one sale a year on Amazon (ETA: correction, one a month--thanks, Terie). Of course, it's possible they mostly sell through other avenues and their true sales are better than that. However, their blog, http://apublisherslife.blogspot.com/ , was last updated in March 2010, which is either a sign of trouble or a sign that they're so successful & busy they dropped the extranea.

Not sure why they aren't communicating with you, but it's not normal for a professionally run publishing house.

Last edited:

donnai

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, that's the website.
After I finished my edits, I waited for someone to contact me - my editor left, telling me 'keep doing what you're doing and send it in when you're done.' I expected someone to get in touch with me after she left, but there was no communication. So I started submitting it and hopefully I'll have some good news soon. The good thing is that thanks to the editing the story is much stronger -

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
(that's not good--it means 1,142,055 books are selling better, and that this particular book is probably averaging about one sale a year on Amazon)

OT, I know, but this measure isn't accurate anymore. Rankings drop a lot faster these days, and a ranking of 1 million seems to be more like around 1 sale per month.

Crzywritergrl

The Devil is a selfish twit
Registered
Reaction score
With a reputable publisher I would say that your experience is not "normal". Publishing is a slow process, but not that slow and shows are extreme lack of good business sense on their end of things.

I am glad you found a different publisher and I wish you the best of luck!

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Nearly a year later: website unfixed, blog (and Twitter) unupdated, and nothing new published. Looks to be dead.