• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Marit Agency (Bob Shuman)

badducky

No Time For Chitchat, Kemosabe.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Bob Shuman's his name.

He sent me to a website that looks like an editorial service, not a literary agency, but he claims to be aliterary agent affiliated with Peter Rubie...
He also claims to love a novel of which he's only seen three chapters and an outline.

So, like... Huh?

I can't seem to find anything out about the guy with my limited searching ability. He doesn't seem to be in the AAR, either, that I can see.

Here's what I know:

Dear badducky:

Peter Rubie was good enough to ask me to read your novel. I loved it. Would I be able to talk to you a bit about your work and the book's status? If you're interested let me know when and where I can contact you.

I am a literary agent affiliated with Peter's agency. If you would like to know more about me you can check out my editorial services agency: www.maritagency.com/. If you would like to work together, your book would be handled through the Peter Rubie Agency.

Let me know any questions you may have.

All best,
Bob Shuman

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
badducky, since the Peter Rubie Agency has such a good reputation (P&E listing: Peter Rubie Literary Agency, The: $ Highly recommended.), I'd contact them and politely ask if Mr. Rubie asked Mr. Shuman to read your novel/three-chapters-and-outline, as Mr. Shuman says. I'm sure Mr. Rubie would be happy to let you know.

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
That's exactly what I'd do. If Mr. Rubie DID ask Mr. Shuman to read your novel he should be happy to vouch for him. Alternatively, if he DIDN'T, he'd probably appreciate being given a heads up that someone is using his name/credentials without authorization.

Good luck!

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Apparently here's the word on Shuman from Rubie

Just to let you know that my new colleague, Bob Shuman, a really
experienced former editor, read the material and really liked
it. He's going to contact you shortly about representing the
material if that is ok with you.
Best,
Peter Rubie

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Mr. Shuman's bona fides check out. There's no doubt he has substantial industry experience, and agents who work together do often pass manuscripts around. However, I'd be concerned about an offer of representation based on a reading of a partial. If I were you, I'd tell him I was really flattered by his interest, but I'd prefer if he withheld the offer until he'd read the entire ms.

- Victoria

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
I just got off the phone with him...

He's been a literary agent since August 0206, and he has a desk 2 days a week at Peter Rubie's Agency.

Last edited:

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Fingers crossed for you. Good luck!

Writerbear

Registered
Reaction score
Outstanding news badducky! So nice to not be duped but to have a real, legitimate agent seeking you out. Congrats!

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Note to mods: this is actually "Marit", not Merit. The agency is spelled with an "a" instead of an "e".

So far, I've been very happy with Bob. We'll see how things go with my second book.

Last edited:

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
I have ended my professional relationship with Bob Shuman, and like all endings, this one wasn't completely happy.

Still, I don't think the Peter Rubie Agency is at fault for one agent's failings with one client.

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
I can, but I want to wait until everything is completely resolved.

Some people around here already know what happened.

edit: If anyone would like to know, I'll be happy to tell them in private message. I also encourage anyone trying to learn more about Bob Shuman to private message me. I hesitate to delve into this on a public message board.

Last edited:

Rikitikitavi

Registered
Reaction score
June Clark is my agent. She's very nice and always informative. Also, when Bank of America fouled up a 20,000 dollar royalty option payment from Paramount Pictures for my first book, Peter was right there to solve the problem. There's no worry about Peter's honesty and the agency's credibilty. He used to be the Treasurer for the AAR, I believe.

BTW, Bob Shuman is a dear man. It is unfortunate that he got in over his head after leaving Kennsington's Citadel Press. He wanted to publish 2 of my books, but then his whole department was downsized. He is June's friend, so he finally set up as a part time agent. But it's very different being an agent and an editor, I suppose.

badducky

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jmmcdermott.blogspot.com
Now that the storm is fully weathered, I would like to add just a little bit, because I thought I had done so and perusing this realize it isn't here:

All of the problems I was having with a former agent at this agency were resolved - >within three days< - of contacting Peter Rubie about them. I have absolutely nothing but respect for both Peter Rubie and Janet Reid, and I will be thanking them both in my next acknowledgments page for the amazing things they did when things fell apart between another agent and myself.

Anyone would be lucky to have Peter Rubie or Janet Reid as their agent.

nicolesingslave

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolesingslave.buzznet.com
From literature, comments & testimonial, it looks like Mr.Shuman is quite a luminary in the publishing industry. Here are some links to consider:

Mr. Shuman's listing on P&E: http://www.anotherealm.com/prededitors/pealb.htm

At the time of this posting, I got a status blurb from Mr. Shuman's website:
http://www.maritagency.com/
"AT THIS TIME MARIT AGENCY IS NOT ACCEPTING NEW SUBMISSIONS EXCEPT BY REFERRAL."

Also this will give you a feel of what Mr.Shuman wants:
http://www.maritagency.com/Submit.html
Types of projects Marit Agency does not represent: Poetry, Horror, Westerns, Romance, Individual short stories and articles

A quick search on Amazon, turned out 3 hits.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?u...eld-keywords=bob+shuman,+marit+agency&x=0&y=0

A very small but interesting reference about a deal done by Mess'rs Shuman and Rubie:
http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/cgi-bin/dealmaker.pl?id=304&s=all
http://www.publishersmarketplace.com/lunch/archives/001477.php

Some additional comments I found in my finger-walk-about.
http://www.zoominfo.com/people/Shuman_Bob_938882761.aspx
http://www.slushpile.net/index.php/category/agent-info/
Agent Moves, ( Agent Info and News ), circa 2004-5:
A Publishers Lunch report that was picked up by Mediabistro stated that Bob Shuman has joined the Peter Rubie Literary Agency as an agent. Shuman has previously worked at an editor for several publishers including Kensington, Macmillan, and Morrow.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Is open to queries again.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Site is gone. Not finding any indication Mr. Shuman joined another agency.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Has continued to offer editing services through his Stage Voices (https://stagevoices.com), which as of '16 notes he is ".... additionally, a literary Agent for Dunham Literary, Inc."