Any knitters in the house?

nicolethegeek

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolethegeek.blogspot.com
I'm so glad you were able to find what you needed! My Mike's usually has the sets of round looms, and the sets of oblong looms. I noticed the last time I was there that they had sock looms too, but I knit faster with needles! =o)

I'm frantically working on some design proposals... the Skittles may not be enough for all the "thinking" I've had to do lately!

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Just as a public service leading up to Halloween, for those of you unfamiliar with my web site, there's a free Witch's Hat pattern--any yarn, any size needles (but if you use bulky yarn and big needles it will go much faster). You do need to be comfortable working small tubes (on dps, magic loop or 2 circulars) to be able to work the pointed top.

You can find it here: http://www.maggiesrags.com/freewitchhat.html

AZ_Dawn

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I found this site while looking up ways to make my loom tools more comfy. Behold, DIY knitting equipment!

Now if you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with two dowels, a pencil sharpener, and lots of yarn, you can at least knit. :D

P.S. Still looking for ideas on how to make the handle of my loom tool more comfy. If you know of something that doesn't involve pencil holders or polymer clay, please let me know. ;)

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know any better place to announce this. I just finished and boxed up for submission, my 4th knitting book:

110,300 words, 14.5 lbs of yarn, 553 image files

I can relax--for the first time in 18 months, I'm not behind on this book!

MsJudy

Registered
Reaction score
Big congrats! And somehow I missed when your circular knitting book came out... dashing off to add it to my Xmas wishlist...

aixsponsa

This is not Kelly Kapoor Story Hour
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennygaines.wordpress.com
I just could never get the hang of knitting... maybe one day! I love to crochet though. I'm lucky to have a set of knitting needles that belonged to my grandmother who I never met, and when I crochet I use one of her hooks. :)

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
Big congrats! And somehow I missed when your circular knitting book came out... dashing off to add it to my Xmas wishlist...

And here I was, thinking it was about time to change my avatar!

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I'm at work and Photobucket is blocked, but I am totally showing off the Ridiculously Complex Knitting Project I Started Two Weeks Before Christmas:

It's the pic in this AW Post.

This is for my son's GF (they've been living together for 6 months). She doesn't know anything about it. :) I'm going to bring it to my folks' house where we'll meet up with them on Christmas Day.

The most difficult part of the darned thing was the &#!%@*! name. I HATE lazy daisy stitch. the project took 6 days, working every night and on the weekend. It's not that hard--it's really just an oversize sock with the FairIsle-like cuff. It's just--2 weeks before Christmas. I'm certifiable. :tongue

The little old lady who taught me to knit when I was a wee Lily gave me the pattern before she passed away a few years ago. She made this stocking for me when I was 5, then for Mr. Lily when we got married, then as gifts for both my sons. So this is like "GF is part of the family officially now."

K1P1

Registered
Reaction score
I'm so impressed that you got this done for Christmas. Yet another person who likes to knit and hates to sew! I can see why the name was the worst part.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
The GF was surprised and loved the fact that it's an inch taller than my son's :tongue

My next project is a charted Krampuus sweater. It was a lot of fun creating the chart. Alas, I am forced to use a little embroidery for the chain and the kids in the basket.

My hands are still protesting the stocking, though, so I'm glad I'llhave several months to finish this. :)

nicolethegeek

Registered
Reaction score
Website
nicolethegeek.blogspot.com
I just could never get the hang of knitting... maybe one day! I love to crochet though. I'm lucky to have a set of knitting needles that belonged to my grandmother who I never met, and when I crochet I use one of her hooks. :)

It took me at least half a dozen tries as an adult to get the hang of knitting. I still hold my yarn in my left hand because after years of crocheting my right hand refuses to hold the working yarn!!

christwriter

Resistance is Everything
Registered
Reaction score
Website
creativedoubledipper.blogspot.com
I knit. And spin my own yarn. I kind of have to, as I do mostly lace knitting (SHETLAND LACE SHAWL FTW) and there are NO specialty yarn shops within a three hour's drive...and I'm too damn lazy to order it off the internet. (That, and if I can't feel it I can't know if it's right).

I've completed three lace shawls. My first was the final pattern from a book on Orenburg lace shawls. My second also came from a book I have since lost (The pattern was Shetland Tea Shawl) and I have pictures from blocking it on my blog over here: http://creativedoubledipper.blogspot.com/2011/08/block-party.html

Every inch of yarn in that thing was spun with a hand spindle. It is two ply. It took about a month, and six months to spin the yarn.

The third one, I have no pictures of. It was made with this fine merino I spun on my charka (BEST. TOY. EVER.) and the pattern was something I made up. The Shetland Tea Shawl taught me about Pi-shawl design (IE: cast on 5-10 stitches, knit a row, double your stitches, knit three rows, double your stitches, knit six rows, double, twelve rows, double, twenty four, forty eight, ninety-six, and so on and so on ad infinitum) and I began stockpiling books on lace knitting.

My current project is another Pi-shawl using the same kind of wool (I stocked up on the merino) and a modified version of "lilac time" from The Second Book of Modern Lace Knitting by Marianne Kinzel.

I don't pretend to be expert good at lace knitting, but I LOVE it.

weavergirl

Registered
Reaction score
I don't knit, but I know where you can get some awesome alpaca yarn ;)

(she said, having just come in from the barn)

TMCan

Registered
Reaction score
Nice to meet some other knitters. I tried to crochet, but eh, then I tried knitting and fell in love. To date I have only made a scarf for a friend and a TARDIS hat for myself, but I am addicted. Right now on my needles is a John Watson sweater based on the BBC Sherlock series and a Forth Doctor scarf from Doctor Who. I am a super nerdy knitter lol.

TMCan

Registered
Reaction score
I cannot believe I didn't know of a TARDIS hat pattern.

I shall now see if I have the right colors in my stash. Thank you!

I found the pattern on Ravelry. It's quick and easy to knit and I accidentally taught myself fair isle on it lol. My Ravelry name is tmcanada. Youshould be able to find the hat under my projects.

cryaegm

Snakecakes
Registered
Reaction score
Website
enigmainklings.blogspot.com
I've been knitting for seven months. I taught myself because I got tired of waiting for my mom to help me with it, but I can't blame her for taking a while since she hasn't knit in 30 some years. Most of my stuff is on Ravelry (same username as it is here). :D I can't get enough of it.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
Can anyone suggest a cool new knitting pattern for an advanced beginner? Or a K-A-L that's about to start. I'm looking for a new project. I'll probably jump on ravelry a bit later and poke around, but I was wondering if there's anything anyone's working on that they're excited about.