• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] Curtis Brown Group Ltd. (UK) / Curtis Brown Creative

macandal

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone ever submitted to Curtis Brown UK? Would you care to share your experiences? I'm thinking about submitting. Thanks.

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
I haven't I'm afraid. But I, too, am looking for info on/experiences with UK agents - maybe we could have just one thread for it? (the bad ones would need their own, I guess).

I recently submitted to Mic Cheetham - approximately four weeks ago. Other agents have replied to me very quickly (two weeks being the longest), and I'm not sure when I should query it, especially as there's no mention of average time to respond on their web site. I know agents can take months to respond, but I think that generally, a lot of UK agents are fairly speedy. I know they're a legitimate agent, so maybe I shouldn't mention them on this board.

Curtis Brown is also a very big, very successful, legitimate agent. They're probably somewhere on my list of people to send work to in the future.

roger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rogersplog.blogspot.com
Hi, Curtis Brown are one of the big ones over here. Very legitimate. I once, many years ago, submitted to them and got a lengthy and encouraging 'no thanks' from one of the agents, who I see is still there. It was obvious he read the book I sent and thought about it enough to make some intelligent comments.

Good luck.

Roger.

Are you both UK writers, by the way?

Last edited:

macandal

Registered
Reaction score
roger said:
Are you both UK writers, by the way?

Thanks Roger. I am not a UK writer. I live in the US, in San Francisco, CA. I want to submit to Curtis Brown. He requests one send a CV (I imagine that means a curriculum vitae), is this the same CV I would submit to get a job? Mmm?

Grey Malkin

Moody Member
Registered
Reaction score
Curtis Brown usually reply quite quickly, but they do have periods when certain lists are closed and won't read unsolicited stuff (I'm speaking about the Young Adult list only here). Give them a ring and double check.

When sending a CV, list only the things relevant to your writing. If you're writing crime, it might be worth mentioning that you spent time as a cop, or as a burglar, but probably not worth mentioning that you worked as a greengrocer for six months. Competitions wins are worth mentioning, and of course, published work. Sell yourself!!!. And don't feel the need to avoid mention of failed projects. I mentioned to an agent in a letter that I've written eight novels, ranging from terrible to average. She phoned me up. "Eight novels?" she said. "That's quite good. So you should be finding your feet about now" - funny, but the serious side is that this is a proven track record that shows you can complete what you set out to do, and also gives the impression that you're likely to produce something else in the future.

One other idea: if the thought of writing a CV is too formal, Carole Blake, a UK Agent, in her book On Pitch To Publication suggests a single page biography, outlining yourself in a few paragraphs: past experience, present situation, personal interests, etc.

Best of luck with it.

Colin

Last edited:

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
I also have good experiences with Curtis Brown. I submitted a partial to one of their top agents, at random - I had no idea what she was like. She phoned me very quickly and said she was very interested but was about to go on holiday and requesting me to wait. After reading the partial she requested the full, and even sent an email acknowledgment that it had arrived safely.
Finally, she passed on it, but in a very polite and professiopnal manner. As they have several agents there you have the choice of just submitting to the submissions department, or to one of the individual agents; in my case, I think I was just lucky in picking one who was interested, even though it didn't go my way in the end.
Anyway, good luck.

And by the way, Curtis Brown UK has nothing to do with Curtis Brown, US.

Last edited:

roger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
rogersplog.blogspot.com
macandal said:
He requests one send a CV (I imagine that means a curriculum vitae), is this the same CV I would submit to get a job? Mmm?

Yes, CV = curriculum vitae= what you would call a resume - although as Grey Malkin says, keep it relevant.

Writerbear

Registered
Reaction score
I met Johnny Geller and found him to be both pleasant and helpful. He referred me to agents in my own country to submit my material to, as well as giving me advice about how to submit my work to his agency.

ruthy

Registered
Reaction score
Desperately seeking Ali...

Hello!

Does anyone know where or how I can reach the agent Ali Gunn? She has resigned from Curtis Brown and I can't seem to locate her. She's a fantastic agent and I'd love to show her my work. Rumour has it that she is setting up her own agency... Please help!

dantem42

Registered
Reaction score
ruthy said:
Hello!

Does anyone know where or how I can reach the agent Ali Gunn? She has resigned from Curtis Brown and I can't seem to locate her. She's a fantastic agent and I'd love to show her my work. Rumour has it that she is setting up her own agency... Please help!

A google produced no address, but the name of her agency is Gunn Media Enterprises. Check the London phone directory listings.

Tilly

Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:
Curtis Brown is a legit agency with lots of sales.
True, they didn't recognise my genius and rejected me, but no agency is perfect:D

The best way to ask about agents on this board, though, is to check the index at the top to see if the agent is mentioned there, and either post in an old thread that will magically spring out of the depths for everyone to see, or if there is no entry for the agent, start a new thread.

HapiSofi

Hagiographically Advantaged
Registered
Reaction score
Curtis Brown is one of the big 'uns. If you strike gold, they'll know how to handle the big deals and lucrative subrights. If you stay smallish, you may find yourself feeling a tad unimportant, though I've never heard of them seriously neglecting an author.

Mic Cheetham is smart, slick, aggressive, well-turned-out, has an office in Mayfair, has a zillion contacts in British publishing, has taken on some very interesting writers as clients, and is a just a tiny little bit manipulative -- in a good, agentish kind of way. Not only respectable, but established.

The other two useful facts about Mic Cheetham are: (1.) It's pronounced "Mick". (2.) Mic is female.

Last edited:

ruthy

Registered
Reaction score
Curtis Brown is a major player and I've found them to be really professional. They look at your work and reply fairly swiftly. I've had encouraging comments from them in the past. Give them a try.

starscape

Busy with a number of networks
Registered
Reaction score
Website
leikkanen.wordpress.com
Curtis Brown, London, NY, or Sydney?

hey, fellas, I have submitted my material to the Curtis Brown at London.

Can I send an extra copy to the CB at NY or west coast, or to the Australian CB?

Thanks a lot. :hi:

Last edited:

Danthia

Hmmm...I've read that you only query one agent per agency, but that never covers various branches of the same agency. It can be acceptable to query another agent at the same agency after time has passed, so I imagine the same rule would apply here.

In this instance, I probably would not query mulitple agents of multiple branches of the same agency. I can see possible trouble if two offices loved the book and made offers, then you'd essentially have co-workers in conflict over your work, which could lead to trouble. I'd query each office one at a time if you're really sold on this agency.

SusanH

Registered
Reaction score
I just sent a query to CB in the UK and this is the response I got. Is this just for the UK office? I sent it to Patricia Crowley...

Thank you for your email.
If you wish to send a manuscript to Curtis Brown, please send three chapters of your work in hard copy form to

Submissions Department (not to an agent)
5th floor
Curtis Brown
Haymarket House
28/29 Haymarket
London
SW1Y 4SP

Enclosing the synopsis plus a stamped addressed envelope for the return of your manuscript.

Please address it to the Submissions Department and do note that we do not accept email submissions.

Regards

Camilla Young

SUBMISSIONS

Curtis Brown Group Direct Line 020 7393 4400 Switchboard 020 7393 4400

www.curtisbrown.co.uk

Kasey Mackenzie

One Hit Wonder?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kaseymackenzie.com
I just sent a query to CB in the UK and this is the response I got. Is this just for the UK office? I sent it to Patricia Crowley...

Curtis Brown USA is a completely separate company so that definitely doesn't apply to them. Here is the link to CB USA's submission guidelines: http://www.curtisbrown.com/