Eat your heart out silicon.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score
Link.
Molybdenite can make transistors that are 100,000 times more energy efficient (at least on standby) and possess an ideal, naturally occurring 1.8 electron-volt gap.
Also, it exists in enough abundance to be rather superior to graphene in certain respects as well.

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
That's exciting. I was getting worried about the world's ability to make silicon in the quantities it currently does for long. I hope this means better solar panels will come from this material as well.

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il
We'll see. There are plenty of things that are better than silicon in a lab setting. Super conductor transistors based on Josephson Junctions are much faster (and arrays of several hundred thousands were fabricated), GaAs is a far better semiconductor for optical (lasers and photovoltaics) purposes. There are others, but we still use silicon. Doesn't mean the transition wouldn't happen at some point, but we will have to see.

EDIT: I started reading the paper. It needs another material to form the gate, so it's not just the material. Second problem is similar to graphene -- how to produce and arrange large quantities of single sheets and how to control the process. Since I have been working on the graphene issue before I came to Omaha, I can tell you, it is rather difficult :)

Last edited:

Lhun

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
That's exciting. I was getting worried about the world's ability to make silicon in the quantities it currently does for long.
Don't worry, that's one material we'll never run out of.

dmytryp

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.webpage4u.co.il
I had a seminar a couple of days ago with a professor from the University of Kansas. He works with graphene and talked about some pretty cool things. At the end, in the Q&A session, I asked about the paper. They seem pretty enthusiastic about it, too. Already bought some molybdenite :)
It appears that it might be actually easier to exfoliate (create one layer thin sheets).