• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Interactive Press / Glass House Books / Interactive Publications Pty Ltd

tielserrath

Registered
Reaction score
Website

I'm a bit concerned about this publisher. They're an Australian setup, and they're doing a publicity event in my town next month. In particular I don't like this: http://ipoz.biz/guide.htm. Scroll down to where they start talking about reading fees, and further down to where they mention 'partnership agreements', which looks like vanity publishing to me.

My summation is that this is a company that has a couple of 'famous names' as a veneer for a vanity setup; there doesn't seem to be any division between the royalty arm and the vanity arm, either.

Also the majority of the covers are terrible.

I'd be grateful for any opinions on this, even for some experienced eyes just to look over the website.

Oh, and the number of outfits telling poor writers that they can be published on Amazon, and then taking money off them for converting a word document to html and uploading it! Makes me want to start throwing things.

Last edited:

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Imprints: Interactive Press, Glass House Books, IP Digital, and IP Kidz.

Here's the "assisted self-publishing" program under Glass House Books http://www.ipoz.biz/GHB/GHB2.htm.

Richard Falk

Author of "Warp"
Registered
Reaction score
This looks like a thinly-disguised vanity press-cum-manuscript assessment service with pretensions. A lot of pretensions. Not to mention a publishing competition that costs $66AUD to enter.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The prices! The prices!!!! ARRRGH.

No way will I pay 30 bucks in any country's money for a paperback book.

While I can't comment on this publisher, I'm afraid that NZ$30 for a trade paperback is perfectly normal downunder. Not just POD or vanity. Random House paperbacks cost that much. Yes, it sucks, but that's just the way it is due to freight and taxes and currency exchange rates. Stuff costs more. Take a look at our version of B&N online: [FONT=&quot]http://www.fishpond.co.nz/

[/FONT]

tielserrath

Registered
Reaction score
Yup - since landing in Oz I've pretty much depended on my Kindle. Book prices are horrendous here.

I tried to support my local independent bookshop, but when I asked them to get a UK book for me, and they quoted me a price that was twice that of buying it on Amazon (shipping included), I gave up.

I'm glad a few people agree that this 'publisher' is probably a vanity outlet. There were a few more things that concerned me - the cost of entering that competition, for one thing, (and did you see that if you enter the same MS in more than one category, you pay the full amount again?) plus where they say that 2/3 of their online visitors are from overseas. I think what they're doing is looking at the data and counting every spider program from Russia as a 'visitor'. Whether that's deliberate or because they don't understand how to assess IP addresses is hard to say.

Anyway, looks like I'm going to do a session for the local arts group on the pitfalls of the publishing industry. Maybe I'll be able to prevent a few people falling for scamsters.