Overwriting [Insert key]

dragonangel517

A.K.A CoffeeWench
Registered
Reaction score
Help!!! I keep hitting something something on my keyboard that turns on overwriting, and I can't figure out what. I am not a very good typist, using my index fingers mostly, and I think I am hitting something on the left hand of the keyboard. I have done this several times, and have not been able to fix it other than closing the program and starting over. It has happened here, on my Yahoo email account and in Word. Any ideas what I am doing, and how to undo it when it happens?:cry:

BlackBriar

Bricoleur
Registered
Reaction score
Overwriting? Do you mean your cursor disappears? Maybe you're hitting the Tab button.

dragonangel517

A.K.A CoffeeWench
Registered
Reaction score
No, I mean if I go back to edit anything instead of letting me insert or replace it overwrites the next letter.

polleekin

Registered
Reaction score
You might be bumping the insert key-- it's on the top right of most keyboards, and will either say Insert or an abbreviation such as INS. It's often used to toggle that setting.

dragonangel517

A.K.A CoffeeWench
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks polleekin. I will try that the next time it happens.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Yes, Insert is the probem. The Insert key is the only key that is more useless and annoying than the Caps Lock key. Except I do have one use for it, but that's because I'm a die-hard Fractal Explorer user.

BradCarsten

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Insert is the probem. The Insert key is the only key that is more useless and annoying than the Caps Lock key. Except I do have one use for it, but that's because I'm a die-hard Fractal Explorer user.

I would put scroll lock with that also - complete waste of keyboard real-estate

Sargentodiaz

Registered
Reaction score
I have a similar problem.
Sometimes I hit something on the left side of the keyboard. Then, when I try to type in, it will type over the next letter. The only way I can get around it is to close the file and start over.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
*glances at keyboard*

*is glad I have none of these useless keys*

well, I have caps lock...

RJK

Sheriff Bullwinkle the Poet says:
Registered
Reaction score
There's nothing on the left side of a standard keyboard that would cause that problem. If you have a keyboard with expanded special function keys (usually a different color than the letter keys) on the left of the letter keys, one of them may be programmed to toggle the Insert/Overwrite function. Otherwise, you've toggled the Insert/Overwrite key into the "Overwrite" mode. just press the Insert key again to toggle it back.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
What does scroll lock even do? I've been using computers for about two decades now and I've never managed to figure it out :/
There are a very few programs that use Scroll Lock. Agent/Free Agent newsreader (for Usenet newsgroups, if you don't know what that is, don't worry about it) uses it. Normally, when you push up-arrow or down-arrow, the cursor moves to the next line up or down. With scroll-lock on (at least in Free Agent), the cursor line and all the text move up as one, just like clicking on the up-arrow or down-arrow of the scrollbar. The cursor stays on the same line of text, but everything has moved up or down. To get back to regular cursor up-and-down movement you press Scroll Lock again (it toggles, just like Caps Lock, Num Lock and Insert).

This was an original feature of the IBM PC and its original keyboard (which was the first to have the "scroll lock" key), and this was well before fancy screens and "scrollbars" were available on personal computers, but not many programs used the scroll-lock feature even back then. Many programs were converted as-is from CP/M, and people were happy with them even on the newfangled IBM equipment.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Today I saw a laptop with the extended keyboard that desktops often use, complete with numeric keypad, etc. If one makes extensive use of the keypad, I suppose it makes sense, but for everyone else it just struck me as a terribly unsightly way to annoy me with an off-center QWERTY keyboard.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
If you want to completely disable a key, I recommend KeyTweak. Ever since I got my new laptop I've been locked in an epic battle with Num Lock, which gives me strings of numbers when I wanted to use the number pad to navigate. You download the program, click on the offending key, hit disable and you're golden. (You can do cleverer things with it as well, but I'm dumb.) So you could switch off Insert permanently so that when you hit it it doesn't start overwriting your text.

Today I saw a laptop with the extended keyboard that desktops often use, complete with numeric keypad, etc. If one makes extensive use of the keypad, I suppose it makes sense, but for everyone else it just struck me as a terribly unsightly way to annoy me with an off-center QWERTY keyboard.

I have one of these. Full keyboard, plus a number pad on the right that I use to navigate, plus a top row above the number pad, plus another column to the right of the number pad. I wish they'd streamlined.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I should add that I'm not a computer expert and installing software from an unknown source is dangerous and programs which mess with the registry of your computer are even more so. But that said, I'm very pleased with it.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
I doubt that Tucows lists any malware; anyway, "installing software from an unknown source" is less dangerous than simply surfing the Web and visiting lots of popular sites these days, what with all the sly hacks and evil redirects. I've taken the time to learn what sources are reliable, and I do some Googlish research before installing anything I'm not sure of. That's why I'm the Queen of Free :D

Keytweak PDF manual is available here: http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/ -- RTFM and have fun.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
Google's new Chrome laptop does away with Caps Lock entirely and replaces it with a button that invokes Google search - about time too.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com

Gaming laptop. My beast has this.

dragonangel517

A.K.A CoffeeWench
Registered
Reaction score
I hate the touchpad. My laptop has a full keyboard and I love it.

Tirjasdyn

Outline Maven
Registered
Reaction score
Website
michellejnorton.com
I always thought a keyboard with numeric keypad was the regular version.

It used to be but I've seen separate keyboards without a number pad sold for a while now.

There are still games out there that don't use a mouse (or touch pad). Some times I can map those to my game pad but not always. That's when that touch pad comes in handy.

Also when I have to type in number data. My typing skills for the numeric pad are pretty high. I forget what the scale is for the moment but there is a separate typing scale just for the number pad. It's much faster than using the number row.